Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2018 7:48:07 PM EDT
I’m brand new here so I apologize if this is redundant but I can’t find the answer anywhere.

Background: have a virtually brand new AR-15 with about 600 rounds through it and I was giving it a solid cleaning because it’ll be in the closet for the next week or two.

The BCG and all components(besides firing pin) are black but after scrubbing everything down and scraping the carbon off the bolt tail, the bolt tail is now silver.

I guess I scrubbed the black finish off of it.

Question: My question is, besides cosmetics which I don’t care about on the bolt tail, is there any reason to expect a different in performance or reliability of the rifle?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope. Put a light coat of oil in it and forget about it. I never scrape the tail, it'll just cake right back up. Just give it a good wipe from now on, no need to scrape.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 3:47:44 AM EDT
[#2]
For future reference, the bolt tail doesn't need to be kept pristine. For the most part, the carbon buildup is self-limiting and you can just leave it alone. Also, a little bit of carbon can actually help things seal better. I'll occasionally remove some carbon from the tail and inside the carrier if it's getting out of hand, but it's not something I do every time I clean.

I'm sure you realize this now, but scraping to the point you remove the finish and/or metal is absolutely overkill. That said, just shoot it and it'll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I should have taken a picture so you guys can see. Maybe I’ll follow up with one later but my bolt was black just like yours and I scrubbed it so that the entire tail is basically silver but it was nothing more than removing the finish ie cosmetic.
Based on the answers it sounds like I’m safe but in the future I’ll only be doing a CLP spray and wipe down.
Glad to know I didn’t destroy my bolt 700 rounds in. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Honestly pretty relieved to hear I didn’t ruin the bolt. Only CLP & wipe moving forward. Thanks??
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's not wrong to get it perfectly clean and they make scrapers designed for just that purpose (BONE tool, Cat M4 tool, etc).

Or you can use an empty 223 case to scrape it clean, and that is brass so it is very easy on the bolt.

So, its not wrong to get it sparkly clean, its just not really necessary.
View Quote
Yep, what he said.
It,s not necessary every cleaning but when it gets built up thick enough I use
an old case to scrape mine. Some lubes stick a little better and make the
clean-up an easy wipe down.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I wipe off what I can on the tail and apply more grease. I've never used a bolt tail scraper, nor have I had a need to.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#9]
What do you think about using fine grit sand paper?
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Absolutely NOT only thing worse than that would be a dremel
Oil and a toothbrush is plenty.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Here's what I think: Find another issue to occupy your time and leave the bolt alone.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top