Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2021 3:12:08 PM EDT
I understand that the heyday of piston AR’s was about 7 years ago or so.  But are we just between production runs? The availability of the Barrett Rec7 and POFUSA P415 are at a low ebb.

Even weirder to my eye, both of the aforementioned companies have dropped the pistol/sbr length version of their piston guns from their respective catalogues.  As far as I am aware, you start to really make money on your piston-investment at the traditional pistol lengths (10.3/5 to 11.5).  

Or am I off base and these companies are just not in the mood to stand against the ATF (like Q was recently forced to)?
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they are simply hedging their bets at this point.  Risky to invest in inventory and parts for something that could be on the chopping block.  Comes down to bottom line more than standing against the ATF.  I think you will see an increase in the sale of uppers/build kits until this whole situation is resolved.

Not to go off on a political tangent but the stand against the ATF is more on our shoulders as citizens than the manufacturers who realistically have minimal sway.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you will find that most manufacturers will be ceasing production of pistols that are not actually pistols.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
That makes sense to me.  It sucks, all the same. My primary interest in piston is suppression on a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I understand that the heyday of piston AR’s was about 7 years ago or so.  But are we just between production runs? The availability of the Barrett Rec7 and POFUSA P415 are at a low ebb.

Even weirder to my eye, both of the aforementioned companies have dropped the pistol/sbr length version of their piston guns from their respective catalogues.  As far as I am aware, you start to really make money on your piston-investment at the traditional pistol lengths (10.3/5 to 11.5).  

Or am I off base and these companies are just not in the mood to stand against the ATF (like Q was recently forced to)?
View Quote

This came about from a DoD RFP for piston guns, dind't it? A lot of companies developed them, then produced, tested, etc. In the end only one gets chosen, so after that spike in popularity, there is always a natural wane. (Remember when SCARs were going for crazy prices?- Same thing).

It sure seems like LWRC and HK and still going strong. Like anything, it comes and goes, based largely on Youtube and whatever socom is doing not doing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This came about from a DoD RFP for piston guns, dind't it? A lot of companies developed them, then produced, tested, etc. In the end only one gets chosen, so after that spike in popularity, there is always a natural wane. (Remember when SCARs were going for crazy prices?- Same thing).

It sure seems like LWRC and HK and still going strong. Like anything, it comes and goes, based largely on Youtube and whatever socom is doing not doing.
View Quote

I think you’re right about Barrett (they were tied pretty close to the 6.8 spc).  I know POF was essentially founded on the p415, so I assumed they would have their pistol version front and center. With Frank’s passing, I’m worried about the gumption in the management of that company.  He wasn’t one to pull punches.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top