Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
BUMP.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Lost a part from my Larue hand guard and needed to find out which one it is. Bump for a great thread
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 9:17:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By veeklog:
Lost a part from my Larue hand guard and needed to find out which one it is. Bump for a great thread
View Quote
@veeklog

What part did you lose?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

@veeklog

What part did you lose?
View Quote
The steel insert; I don't know what happened to it. I searched everywhere for it but could not find it. I am rebuilding a new pistol upper after I broke down for a Noveske Diplomat 7.5". I was gathering all my parts for it, and I saw I could not find the steel insert. I called Larue today and bought a new insert. It comes as a set with barrel nut, so I will just rebuilt the upper with a new barrel nut.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, I never read anything that has "...for dummies" in the title because, well, I'm not a dummy.

Have a good day!
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 8:44:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#7]
Originally Posted By Jammer-Six:
Sorry, I never read anything that has "...for dummies" in the title because, well, I'm not a dummy.

Have a good day!
View Quote
And yet, you read this and posted here.

Do you remember the old commercials.... "you could learn a lot, from a dummy?"
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Jammer-Six:

Have a good day!
View Quote
Bless your heart.

Txl
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Midyear bump.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Just a note to anyone out there who sees the battlereadysulutions or https://battleready.solutions
Stay as far away from them as you can!!! This company is completely disorganized and its been almost 3 months since my order and the only way to get in touch with them is to leave a negative post on their facebook page and then contact them on facebook messenger. Thats when the games begin.... they are quick to take your money but nearly impossible to get your order. PLEASE Pm me before you order from them no matter what the price i will show you the communication to expect from them i took screenshots of everything. This is ancompany who does not need to get anyones business.

Let me know if this could be posted somewhere better
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Great stuff here
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a little bump for 2019.  
I'm sure lots of folks are starting builds on stuff they bought over Christmas that is finally arriving.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:14:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I love this thread!  Ive been out of building for so long I haven't seen in a lonnnng time and wasn't sure if she'd still be here.  Starting an AR10 project, and getting my ducks in a row.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#14]
How is this not pinned?
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Rcd567:
How is this not pinned?
View Quote
I think they determined that to be a waste of site resources.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been away for a while and finally want to build one and remembered this post.  Wish it didn't take me so long to find, lol.  Super helpful!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:14:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I keep referencing this post because I don't build enough for it to stay fresh in my mind.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Bump for all the panic builders out there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Have the videos in this thread been republished on a non-communist media site?
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Bump
@FALARAK
The video links are no bueno, and the safety function check on the HERE and HERE links are bad.  I'm good but it is always a few years between assembling lowers.  Giving one to son and building one for daughter for xmas.  Bear creek 16" for boy and KK gets the 10.5" CMMG on pistola lower.

Only lost 1 detent.

Need to remember mental note to reorder one on next purchase.  Extra LPK's are a must.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, and I found that detent on the carpet once I picked up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm early my first build and I'm having problems getting the bolt catch roll pin installed. I suspect it's an alignment problem and it's being blocked by the bolt catch in between the two lugs. I've hammered as hard on it as I feel comfortable. I watched a couple of videos and the pins seemed to go straight in without much force once they were aligned. I don't want to break a cast lug off the side of my lower ...

First, is this the place to ask this and second, do you have any suggestions for how I can align them. I can't get a drift punch in from the opposite side.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I just built three today.  I have a little hobby hammer, I protected the rear of the receiver with a piece of paper and tapped the roll pin to get it started with the little hammer.  I once it was started, I got the spring, detent and catch in, tapped the pin in a little till it caught then used a punch that was too big to get it really close.  Set it where I wanted it with the right size punch.
I don't have the fancy 'roll pin starter punches' and just have a little hobby Vice And   A short 2x4.  You can also bevel the end of the roll pin with a piece of sand paper or a file.  I used LSA to lube it up, was out of tetra grease
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By centermass181:
I just built three today.  I have a little hobby hammer, I protected the rear of the receiver with a piece of paper and tapped the roll pin to get it started with the little hammer.  I once it was started, I got the spring, detent and catch in, tapped the pin in a little till it caught then used a punch that was too big to get it really close.  Set it where I wanted it with the right size punch.
I don't have the fancy 'roll pin starter punches' and just have a little hobby Vice And   A short 2x4.  You can also bevel the end of the roll pin with a piece of sand paper or a file.  I used LSA to lube it up, was out of tetra grease
View Quote

Thanks. I have it started and it's in as far as the inside edge of the rear lug. That's why I suspect I'm having problems aligning the bolt catch with the lug holes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:
I'm early my first build and I'm having problems getting the bolt catch roll pin installed. I suspect it's an alignment problem and it's being blocked by the bolt catch in between the two lugs. I've hammered as hard on it as I feel comfortable. I watched a couple of videos and the pins seemed to go straight in without much force once they were aligned. I don't want to break a cast lug off the side of my lower ...

First, is this the place to ask this and second, do you have any suggestions for how I can align them. I can't get a drift punch in from the opposite side.

Thanks!
View Quote

Your lower is likely not cast, but forged. Possibly billet.

What lower do you have? Manufacturer/model?
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

Your lower is likely not cast, but forged. Possibly billet.

What lower do you have? Manufacturer/model?
View Quote

Ah, that's right. good point. Thanks. Aero Precision X-15. "Machined from 7075-T6 forged aluminum" their web site says.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Ah, that's right. good point. Thanks. Aero Precision X-15. "Machined from 7075-T6 forged aluminum" their web site says.
View Quote

Gotcha.

Some lowers have the ear threaded for a special bolt catch pin (M4E1 being one):

Attachment Attached File

Yours does not.

A couple of links that may help:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/diy-ar-15-build-bolt-catch-installation/amp/

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/ar-lower-receiver-build-bolt-catch-installation/

Note the pic from the link regarding use of a slave pin:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Gotcha.

View Quote

Great stuff! Thank you very much, Sir. I'll get to work on a slave pin.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Gotcha.

Happy to (hopefully) help. If you don't make headway, check back in, there's plenty of knowledge here. Somebody will get you squared away.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 10:05:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cascade-Dude] [#31]
I went at it again this morning with no success. So I took a nice long hike to clear my head.

I used a take-down detent pin as a slave; that was pretty easy and it centered the hole for me. I stuck a small piece of masking tape over it to keep it from sliding out. No joy. I'm using a depth gauge to measure the bolt release roll pin's progress and there isn't any. It's at the same depth it has been. So now I'm wondering if I deformed the pin and need to remove it to inspect it? And if so, the best way to do that?

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Another question: Should I wait until I get this resolved and the bolt catch release installed before moving on to installing other parts in the lower? Or will I just be making it harder on myself later on, please?

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:49:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Great info in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By urbankaos04:
Great info in this thread.
View Quote

Yeah, this should be pinned
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 6:40:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#35]
I went at it again this morning with no success. So I took a nice long hike to clear my head.

I used a take-down detent pin as a slave; that was pretty easy and it centered the hole for me. I stuck a small piece of masking tape over it to keep it from sliding out. No joy. I'm using a depth gauge to measure the bolt release roll pin's progress and there isn't any. It's at the same depth it has been. So now I'm wondering if I deformed the pin and need to remove it to inspect it? And if so, the best way to do that?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/582146/Daily_Hike-1-2795979.jpg
View Quote

Another question: Should I wait until I get this resolved and the bolt catch release installed before moving on to installing other parts in the lower? Or will I just be making it harder on myself later on, please?

Thanks for the help!
View Quote

Remove the BC roll pin, inspect the ears on your lower to ensure that you haven't peened anything over making an obstruction. Inspect the current roll pin.

A needle file from a jeweler's kit can be used if deformation is present at ears. Obviously shit can the pin if borked.

If all appears kosher, put a drop of oil either inside the bore on ears or on roll pin, use the slave pin method and drive the pin in with a proper punch. Alignment is essential.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 7:45:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Remove the BC roll pin, inspect the ears on your lower to ensure that you haven't peened anything over making an obstruction. Inspect the current roll pin.

A needle file from a jeweler's kit can be used if deformation is present at ears. Obviously shit can the pin if borked.

If all appears kosher, put a drop of oil either inside the bore on ears or on roll pin, use the slave pin method and drive the pin in with a proper punch. Alignment is essential.
View Quote

Copy all, thank you very much. I'm on it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Success! I went out of town for a couple of days and its been sitting on the bench waiting for me. The roll pin was deformed. Surely from me trying to drive it in while it wasn't aligned. I used a slave int to get it aligned then drove it in. The new one was really tight getting started but went in slowly and steadily once it started. The silvery stuff in the pic, around the pin hole, was, I think, scraped off from the pin as it was driven in. I'm not 100% sure but I'll know when I clean it up.

Thanks for the help, everybody!

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks to this guide and the help of the members here, I have now assembled my first lower. It passes all function checks and I learned a ton about ARs while doing it.

Aero Precision receiver, BCM Gunfighter lower parts and fire control. Talon Raptor ambi safety. Strike Industries enhanced bolt catch and ambi mag release. Thordson Buffer Tube Cover/Cheek Rest.

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:44:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cascade-Dude] [#39]
And now, I'm taking off the buffer tube again because I forgot to install the takedown pin detent and spring first.

Live and learn.

Edited to add: All fixed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:

I tap mine, and put a small set screw holding the spring.

View Quote

Nice solution!
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:38:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NewCo32] [#42]

Nice solution!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:

I tap mine, and put a small set screw holding the spring.

Nice solution!

@Cascade-Dude

All of my Aero lowers came with the rear detent tapped and set screwed already.  Yours did not?  

ETA: Congrats on getting working. It's always a learning curve.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By NewCo32:

@Cascade-Dude

All of my Aero lowers came with the rear detent tapped and set screwed already.  Yours did not?  

View Quote

Thanks! I learned a lot, which is good. :) Nope. No tap, no set screw.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

@Cascade-Dude

IME they never included a set screw (#4-40 1/8") and you might not have noticed the threads unless you looked really closely...
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By BullpupFan:

IME they never included a set screw (#4-40 1/8") and you might not have noticed the threads unless you looked really closely...
View All Quotes

@Cascade-Dude

Actually this is correct. It's been many years since I bought a lower so I forgot that I may have purchased the set screws on my own. Next time you have the buffer tube/end plate off take a look. I bet you'll find that it's threaded.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 1:15:12 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

I'll check it out the next time it's apart. Thanks for the info.!
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 1:16:03 AM EDT
[#47]

Actually this is correct. It's been many years since I bought a lower so I forgot that I may have purchased the set screws on my own. Next time you have the buffer tube/end plate off take a look. I bet you'll find that it's threaded.
View Quote

I'll check it out. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey guys, checking in, just wanted to say:

@FALARAK thank you so much for this great thread, it's what I used 10 years ago to assemble an AR for the first time and i've built dozens since, really appreciate it brother!

And regarding BC pins mentioned in some posts on this page:

1.roll-pin starter punches are awesome, I got mine for like 6 bucks shipped on ebay and man was I mad I hadn't tried them before. Well worth it, much less time and aggravation. Just buy some.

2. I always put a tiny hair of a bevel on one end of the pin before I start it. Just a hair with a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface, since I started doing that (and bought starter-punches), I have never again had an issue with getting a BC pin started. I do the same thing on the FA pin when assembling an upper.
Page / 15
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top