Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2018 12:45:27 AM EDT
I have an Armalite AR 10 NM rifle. I have a JP break on it as well as a slash heavy buffer. The rifle shoots great. I did notice the forward thrust of the BCG feels more forceful with thr HB. Can this damage the rifle or the bolt?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#1]
It will probably reduce wear on your rifle. The heavy buffer allows chamber pressure to drop a little more than a standard buffer would before allowing the bolt to rotate and unlock.

This reduces wear and tear on the bolt and barrel extension. Large frame AR''s recoil. That's what they do. The larger caliber and heavier reciprocating parts all contribute to this wonderful experience.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. The gun shoots great.

I was concerned about the forward force. Almost like a 1911 when you put in a heavy recoil spring. Rearward force is slower but forward force is harder.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Lougotzz

A few questions... is the Slash buffer the 10oz one ?

Are you running the OEM Armalite recoil spring ?

And are there sliding weights inside the Slash Heavy Buffer... or is a solid buffer ?

My main concern at this point would be ... make sure there is not excess bolt over travel between the bolt catch and bolt face. You should have about 3/16" overtravel.
Any excessive overtravel could break a bolt catch.

And if the buffer is solid... I ( personally ) would prefer a "dead blow" type conventional buffer.  Especially with your specific recoil parts.

Also the Armalite recoil spring is pretty strong... so you might want a lighter buffer weight, or a non-solid one.
View Quote
I believe it is 10 oz and it is an armalite Orem recoil spring. It might be solid buffer but not 100%

Not sure about anything else.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#6]
It is solid. I shake it and nothing moves inside
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're NOT shooting suppressed, and using RIFLE length gas, there's no need for that heavy a buffer.

But, yeah the return thrust takes getting used to. When i had the short heavy stuff, it was a violent beast, but if i held on, it would come back on target itself. But you just gotta hold tight, the forward throat through me off for about 100rds until i got used to it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
That's the thing about this than kinda makes my brain work too hard.

Perceived recoil vs. actual recoil. With the heavier buffers, you perceived less recoil because of the slower action. But, it's moving heavier parts with same force, pretty much.

With the heavier mass comes a DIFFERENT recoil impulse. Some like it, some don't. It seems to be split between light recoil with lightened parts and regulated gas, or full gas with heavier parts.

I'm in the middle ground. Reliability is most important to me, and I'll learn to deal with whatever recoil impulse that brings. You got allot of different reliable recipes, but that reliability is judged differently.

I like the Armalite recoil spring because it offers that Goldilocks amount for me personally. I like the carbine setup with H3 or slightly heavier buffer. This has been the most reliable for me in the few large frame build I've done. I've tried a few different recipes, but always come back to that.

One guy i built one for, i ended up using a carbine buffer system with a spacer on his rifle length system. He wanted fixed stock, but when didn't like the impulse from the rifle buffer. He was weird, but swapped it out and he's been happy ever since.

My recipe for reliability is 100rds in 5 mag dumps with no failures. Then, goto 500rds with no cleanings. That's for every gun i come in possession of. I've been told by allot that's too critical, but then i ask, how much assurance do you need for your firearms to do their job?

500rds with ZERO hiccups, and ran hard, is what i need.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#10]
What is the slr set on with the 9.3oz buffer?
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:41:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the way it shoots. I am just concerned if it was to hard on the rifle.

The set up is a complete armalite ar10 NM upper. This is a 20 inch with a rifle gas system. JP muzzle break and the slash heavy buffer. Armalite OEM recoil spring
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top