Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/8/2022 9:22:01 PM EDT
I have a armalite ar10b and I want a new barrel for it. I was looking for an 18 inch (currently a 24 inch) but short of having one custom made I can't find any.

I see plenty for the DPMS style. Can you use a DPMS style bolt in the armalite carrier or an entire DPMS BCG in the armalite upper and use a DPMS style barrel?

I wish I could go to armalite for the barrel but they have very few parts in stock.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Entire BCG.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:44:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I replaced a burnt out barrel last year with a Lothar Walther 18 inch barrel that was advertised as being DPMS. The gas tube length is Armalite length and my my Armalite BCG head spaced fine. I think you’ll be okay with most DPMS barrels but you will need to check headspace so buy yourself some gauges or take it all to a smith.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:54:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a armalite ar10b and I want a new barrel for it. I was looking for an 18 inch (currently a 24 inch) but short of having one custom made I can't find any.

I see plenty for the DPMS style. Can you use a DPMS style bolt in the armalite carrier or an entire DPMS BCG in the armalite upper and use a DPMS style barrel?

I wish I could go to armalite for the barrel but they have very few parts in stock.

Thanks
View Quote

Is your barrel toast, or do you just want a shorter tube? Most .308 barrels can easily last 4000 rounds before accuracy degrades.

Removing the barrel and sending it to ADCO Firearms to be shortened, rethreaded and crowned would be a much cheaper option if shorter is all you want.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I replaced a burnt out barrel last year with a Lothar Walther 18 inch barrel that was advertised as being DPMS. The gas tube length is Armalite length and my my Armalite BCG head spaced fine. I think you’ll be okay with most DPMS barrels but you will need to check headspace so buy yourself some gauges or take it all to a smith.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Is your barrel toast, or do you just want a shorter tube? Most .308 barrels can easily last 4000 rounds before accuracy degrades.

Removing the barrel and sending it to ADCO Firearms to be shortened, rethreaded and crowned would be a much cheaper option if shorter is all you want.
Both of these, and you don't need a new bolt or BCG if your barrel properly gages with GO, NO-GO, and Field.

The difference between Armalite and DPMS is a quarter-inch from end of receiver extension to gas port.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just want a shorter and lighter barrel. Currently it's a heavy match 24 inch. I thought about turning and shortening it but since it's not easily replaced I'll just get another barrel.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Both of these, and you don't need a new bolt or BCG if your barrel properly gages with GO, NO-GO, and Field.

The difference between Armalite and DPMS is a quarter-inch from end of receiver extension to gas port.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18978/armalite_DPMS_AR_308_gas_lengths_png-2377502.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18978/Armalite_v_dpms_308_gas_systems_png-2377501.JPG

View Quote

I have the gauges so I'll order a barrel and check it.
Interweb searches say they use different barrel extensions but I don't see companies reinventing a barrel extension.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Interweb searches say they use different barrel extensions but I don't see companies reinventing a barrel extension.
View Quote
I think you'll find the folks who make barrel extensions (BAT for example) make just one.  Barrel threads are the same and are thus inter-changeable.

I've got shortened Armalite-Walther barrels, Satern, Criterion, etc, with mixed bolts (Armalite and LMT).

NOTE:  If your rail is Armalite-length you may have to go to a low-profile gas block, as the DPMS-length gas tube is a quarter-inch shorter.  Or you'll need to trim the Armalite rail or tube.

I use an SLR or Midwest rail if I'm using a DPMS-length, so the next time I can use either Armalite OR DPMS, depending on who has a good price for the next change.

Armalite with rifle-length gas Criterion 16-inch, SR-25 hybrid taper:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#9]
There is a difference between a ArmaLite bolt and a DPMS bolt when it comes to the dimension that affects headspace, and the barrels are reamed accordingly. Those dimensional differences ranged from 0.004" to 0.008", based on measurements that I and some other members took.
Forster .308 headspace gauge dimensions from the datum as follows. "NO-GO" dimensions vary and are set by the manufacturer, there is no SAAMI spec for that dimension:
GO        1.630"
NO-GO  1.634"
Field     1.638"
A ArmaLite bolt could pass a "NO-GO" gauge test on a short reamed DPMS barrel, depending on whose gauge and it's length.
There are barrel makers that will cut a ArmaLite chamber for you, but it's always best to send in your stripped bolt.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Thanks but it seems they are out of that barrel. I logged in to purchase it Saturday and is shows back ordered.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Weird.  It shows 3 in stock right now. Oh well.

Edit:   Now it gone…..  weird…..
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks but it seems they are out of that barrel. I logged in to purchase it Saturday and is shows back ordered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't know what you are looking for but since you said 24 inch I assume it's a T barrel.  I replaced my T barrel which was a SS L-W and it was amazingly accurate. I went with their 18 inch .308 CM  polygonal with LiFe HD, they are in stock now. The gas block area is .875 so you can use the gas block from your old barrel. You can sell the bolt that comes with it for about $90 and knock the price down some. That's what I did...

In stock 18 inch Lothar Walther barrel
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I see the 18 barrels are offered in both rifle and mid length gas systems. Any preference?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Weird.  It shows 3 in stock right now. Oh well.

Edit:   Now it gone…..  weird…..
View Quote

Yeah it's strange. On my phone it said in stock and when trying to check out it said it was a restricted item....WTF? On my computer it said in stock but when logged in it showed on back order.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:08:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I see the 18 barrels are offered in both rifle and mid length gas systems. Any preference?
View Quote

I'd go longer. Armalite did 18" barrels with rifle gas at some point and some other companies do rifle gas on 16" 308's. As mentioned before you could probably chop yours and be fine.
Quoted:

Yeah it's strange. On my phone it said in stock and when trying to check out it said it was a restricted item....WTF? On my computer it said in stock but when logged in it showed on back order.
View Quote

Might be worth a call to them. Could just be a jacked up website.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Lothar Walther
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:17:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rifle length every time…
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Stumbled upon this
And remembered this thread.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Stumbled upon this
View Quote

Thanks.
I just finished putting my new barrel on 20 minutes before checking out arfcom. I bought a Criterion M118 Hybred 18 inch.  I have one of thier barrels on a AR15 and I am happy with it so I thought I would try one in .308.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:36:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks.
I just finished putting my new barrel on 20 minutes before checking out arfcom. I bought a Criterion M118 Hybred 18 inch.  I have one of thier barrels on a AR15 and I am happy with it so I thought I would try one in .308.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stumbled upon this

Thanks.

Was the barrel and extension made for an Armalite or was it DPMS style?
Mind if I ask approximately what it cost?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:55:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Was the barrel and extension made for an Armalite or was it DPMS style?
Mind if I ask approximately what it cost?
View Quote

It was a DPMS style. I checked headspace with my AR10 bolt and it falls within spec. I paid 309 for it.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top