Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2021 10:33:52 AM EDT
Does anybody have one of the Armalite Gen 2 super SASSs. The one that comes with the 15 inch Mlok rail and the POF trigger? What do you think of it? Want to know ifthe Gen 2 is as good as the Gen 1.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t have one but I would not even look ata new one for the price they’re asking. Armalite has since cheaped out on the stainless match barrels, they’ve gone from cut barrels to button barrels. I’m not saying a button barrel can’t be accurate and often they are but my most accurate rifles are cut rifled. Button rifling is cheaper to produce but Armalite hasn’t lowered the price to reflect the change. I’d pass on a new one unless it was priced around $2500 and I’d still have to think long and hard about it…
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 1:05:37 AM EDT
[#2]
btt
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Gen I. Paid ~$2500. Broke it in as instructed - 25 rds. Sub-caliber MOA...@100yds.

While shooting for zero @100yds in the morning as a check, a professional spotter asked me to shoot left a mil after a couple shots, then back on the x. Couple shots later he says, okay. I then proceed to shoot 10 rds a piece on steel at random ranges spaced every hundred yards to 1100, he called the shots. The steels were painted with a dot.
At a thousand yds, the dot was 5" or 6". I placed the first five or six rounds in the dot, then missed the dot to the right. He called for a windage hold and again, off to the right. The wind had been variable in direction and speed all day. As I contemplated the situation, I realized I had canted the rifle. Held it level and squeezed off the remainder of the 10rd mag, hitting the dot with each round. All shots were bipod/rear bag.
I later asked him what that hold in the morning routine was about. He said he couldn't tell where my shots were going. (This was the second morning and I was shooting yesterday's target). The hold was so he could get an idea of where I was hitting. After I went back to the x a couple times he was satisfied my zero was good...the bullets had been going through the same hole. This morning started at round count 145 from new.
And that 1000yd group? Under 30 seconds. I figure if I hadn't canted the rifle those couple/few rounds, all 10 hits would have been inside the dot so, what, .5"-ish MOA?

Is it a good rifle? Most accurate and precise firearm I've ever owned. Slightly better than my Rem 700 Varmint Special HB that I bought in early/mid '90s, but I shot the shit out of that before I gave a thought to getting serious. My other HB is a pre-ban Colt 6601 that I bought earlier.

Would I buy another? No need.

Anybody wanna host a pic for me...or do you care?

FWIW, I think mine is a button barrel.

Oh, yeah. FGMM 168.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I have a Gen 1, (T) A-model and even though I’ve only gotten out to 100 yds ( due to range availability or outrageous range memberships) mine is sub moa all day long with Hornady 168 Match bthp.  I haven’t even tried anything else, might not even have too as it’s one ragged hole.

With the Gen 2, I agree with above comments. Not sure if it’s worth the price unless adjusted.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Guess I'm going to find out for myself. Won a brand new SASS gen 2 off gunbroker for $2175.00
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top