Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/9/2020 10:23:50 AM EDT
Has anybody seen or heard anything about this (i assume) new light from Arisaka? When I google there is nothing online anywhere else, and I can't find on Malkoff's website any information about the head it uses. This is the paragraph that has me intrigued.

The 4.5 degree beam angle and 250mW output produces a beam that is similar in intensity to the MAWL C1+ long range illuminator, but covers approximately twice the area. This makes for a very usable illuminator from close range to several hundred meters, without being too powerful as to wash out your laser pointer or cause your image intensifier to bloom or gate down.
View Quote

I currently have a DBAL IR laser/illum unit and the illuminator leaves tons to be desired, as in generally it is useless. I don't like other IR lights, because they aren't focused and I get terrible splash of my suppressor. If this has the intensity of the MAWL, and the tight beam angle eliminates spaces off suppressor, count me in for one of these!

https://arisakadefense.com/collections/lights/products/ex-ir-light

Link Posted: 6/9/2020 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Mark me interested in its performance. I have the 850nm Modlite setup in a dual white/ir the same way as Arisaka's pictures show this one. I'm curious to what this beam looks like.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I would buy just the head just for screwing around when I don't need white light
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Has anybody seen or heard anything about this (i assume) new light from Arisaka? When I google there is nothing online anywhere else, and I can't find on Malkoff's website any information about the head it uses. This is the paragraph that has me intrigued.

The 4.5 degree beam angle and 250mW output produces a beam that is similar in intensity to the MAWL C1+ long range illuminator, but covers approximately twice the area. This makes for a very usable illuminator from close range to several hundred meters, without being too powerful as to wash out your laser pointer or cause your image intensifier to bloom or gate down.
View Quote

I currently have a DBAL IR laser/illum unit and the illuminator leaves tons to be desired, as in generally it is useless. I don't like other IR lights, because they aren't focused and I get terrible splash of my suppressor. If this has the intensity of the MAWL, and the tight beam angle eliminates spaces off suppressor, count me in for one of these!

https://arisakadefense.com/collections/lights/products/ex-ir-light

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0659/4513/products/ex-ir-1_large.jpg?v=1588384911

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0659/4513/products/ex-ir-5_large.jpg?v=1588384931
View Quote

When you say other lights, do you mean Modlite?
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Damm why didn’t they make this take 18650
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:43:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it zeroable? The problem i forsee is its a tight focus but you cant zero it for alignment.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, gonna need a few of these.

Link Posted: 6/19/2020 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#7]
God I fucking love Malkoff
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Bump to the top, apparently there's now 2 variants of the EX IR heads; one that's 250mW and one that's 750mW.

The heads have a 5 degree beam angle, so the 250mW output version produces a beam that is similar in intensity to the MAWL C1+ long range setting, but covers approximately twice the area. This makes for a very usable illuminator from close range to several hundred meters, without being too powerful as to wash out your laser pointer or cause your image intensifier to bloom or gate down.

The 750mW output version is for much longer range, and depending on the image intensifier, can illuminate objects well past 600 meters, and is bright enough to produce reflections off of bullets as they travel down range. It exceeds PEQ-15 high output at equivalent illuminator focus.
View Quote

Mo powa mo betta? Or nah? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bump to the top, apparently there's now 2 variants of the EX IR heads; one that's 250mW and one that's 750mW.

Mo powa mo betta? Or nah? Thoughts?
View Quote

Depends on what youre doing.

Ive used some of the most powerful IR illuminators.
La5 uhp
Ngal
Vslim
Perst2/3

Sometimes its awesome like with a clip on at range. Sometimes its just not needed
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I emailed them and this was the response.

"We haven't formally released it. We're waiting on the 750mW version heads to finish up."

I will probably try one out when they are leased. A tight beam small illuminator is something that really has a need.

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#11]
A double light setup seems inevitable at some point...

Twisting light heads for different output is for pistols  :)
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I emailed them and this was the response.

"We haven't formally released it. We're waiting on the 750mW version heads to finish up."

I will probably try one out when they are leased. A tight beam small illuminator is something that really has a need.

View Quote

That sounds like a really dumb business plan. “We’re not releasing product A until product B is ready.”
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That sounds like a really dumb business plan. “We’re not releasing product A until product B is ready.”
View Quote

And yet they’ll still sell out in days, if not hours. I’m all for releasing when ready and not forcing due to arbitrary time constraints
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#14]
in stock now
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
in stock now
View Quote

nope
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

nope
View Quote

I ordered 1 of each. Still shows in stock for me
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Too late for me Was in Sheriff office getting my CCW renewed.

Edit: Looking forward to reviews. This will be awesome to add on a TAPS switch with my DBAL 9007 and it's anemic illuminator.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Edit: Looking forward to reviews. This will be awesome to add on a TAPS switch with my DBAL 9007 and it's anemic illuminator.
View Quote

still showing in stock.

edit: at least the heads are
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 12:56:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

still showing in stock.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

still showing in stock.

Just realized the individual heads were still in stock, so I picked one up.  Currently using a Modlite IR-850 in conjunction with my 9007, but I have some complaints about it’s performance (which this head allegedly fixes) and would prefer the CR123 compatability of this Arisaka.

I’ve also got a MAWL and a few different SF Vampires to compare it to, so I hope to do up a short review with pics and maybe a few videos.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just realized the individual heads were still in stock, so I picked one up.  Currently using a Modlite IR-850 in conjunction with my 9007, but I have some complaints about it’s performance (which this head allegedly fixes) and would prefer the CR123 compatability of this Arisaka.

I’ve also got a MAWL and a few different SF Vampires to compare it to, so I hope to do up a short review with pics and maybe a few videos.
View Quote

Fuuuuck I missed it. Never received notifications either

Please compare to the MAWL and Modlite. A second MAWL is not in the cards and a second rifle is need of some illumination.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Please compare to the MAWL and Modlite. A second MAWL is not in the cards and a second rifle is need of some illumination.
View Quote

There's a thread in the night vision forum that shows a comparison of the two with pictures and video.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There's a thread in the night vision forum that shows a comparison of the two with pictures and video.
View Quote

Where? I didn’t see it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Caeser2001
@trapsh00ter99

You didn’t miss anything, both EX IR heads are still in stock.  Just change the drop down to the model you want.

https://arisakadefense.com/collections/tailcaps-remotes/products/malkoff-scout-light-head?variant=35494848463004
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#24]
So mine came in today.  Initial impressions:

Beam is tighter than the IR-850 I have by quite a bit.  Enough so that I don’t have the gating issues I have with the Modlite head when using it from enclosed areas where the IR spill at short range will be reflected back at you.  Down side, it’s not as bright nor does it have as much range as the IR-850 when there’s nothing to dim your tubes down (like standing in an open field).

It’s also not as bright as the MAWL long range illuminator nor is it as tight.  The edges are a lot more soft and there’s some more spill.

I’m gonna try and get some video over the next few weeks and post it up after I have a better chance to use it some more.  May have to try out the brighter head to see how it compares.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Beam is tighter than the IR-850 I have by quite a bit.  Enough so that I don’t have the gating issues I have with the Modlite head when using it from enclosed areas where the IR spill at short range will be reflected back at you.  Down side, it’s not as bright nor does it have as much range as the IR-850 when there’s nothing to dim your tubes down (like standing in an open field).

It’s also not as bright as the MAWL long range illuminator nor is it as tight.  The edges are a lot more soft and there’s some more spill.

I’m gonna try and get some video over the next few weeks and post it up after I have a better chance to use it some more.  May have to try out the brighter head to see how it compares.
View Quote

So you bought the 250mW version? That doesn't surprise me that there isn't any gating under NV. The output is substantially less than the Modlite.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So you bought the 250mW version? That doesn't surprise me that there isn't any gating under NV. The output is substantially less than the Modlite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, 250mW and no not really a surprise to me either, although the gating issue, while affected by the power output of the IR-850, is the result of the light head having too much spill allowing it to reflect back at the user.  If it had a tighter beam pattern, there wouldn’t be as many gating issues with the Modlite.

It should also be noted that while mW ratings are certainly a metric, they rarely tell the whole story.  This 250mW Arisaka head outputs roughly 80%-85% the illumination (in brightness and range) as the 1100mW IR-850.  I can take a 120mW SF Vampire and outthrow/illuminate a 400mW WMLx.  So while it’s a factor, it isn’t the primary one when it comes to gating/dimming a tube, IME.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Need a candela version of measurement like white lights. Lumen vs. candela
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very interested in the video. For the money it sounds like a solid option with a pointer for people who dont want a d2/fullpower.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Very interested in the video. For the money it sounds like a solid option with a pointer for people who dont want a d2/fullpower.
View Quote

Same. If these work as advertised then my struggle is going to be how to manage the switches instead of "how do I afford a MAWL" I much prefer the former haha
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Any update on a video? Has anyone else gotten theirs in and have info / impressions to share?
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Any update on a video? Has anyone else gotten theirs in and have info / impressions to share?
View Quote

I’ll hopefully get around to it this coming weekend, had some work issues that have been taking up my time since last Thursday.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Does anybody have the 700mW head and can review it or compare it to other IR illuminators? Really tempted to pick one up but not sure if I want the 250mW or the 700mW head.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:35:16 AM EDT
[#33]
@shelbysguns
@dblazevich

Finally was able to get out and get some video.  Throwing it all together now and hopefully get it uploaded tomorrow.  Pic of the gun/setup the Arisaka and Modlite were tested on.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#34]
IR Illuminator Performance - MAWL vs Arisaka EX IR 250 vs Modlite IR-850

ETA:  Little update to zoom the NV shots in a bit.

Make sure to set your YouTube resolution to max/1080p/4K, otherwise the NV shots will be somewhat pixelated.

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Good video. Thanks for sharing. The Arisaka looks like a good option to pair with a stand alone laser like the Perst 4. Even something with anemic Illumination like the civilian PEQ or DBAL A3 / i2 as shown.

Curious to see how the 700mW does.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53u22-Rl4yI

Make sure to set your YouTube resolution to max/1080p/4K, otherwise the NV shots will be somewhat pixelated.

View Quote
Thanks for the video, that is a great comparision.

From the description, I was assuming the EX IR would be a little tighter and not as much spill, but overall it looks like a great option. I haven't picked one of these up yet because I only have Modlite bodies and the Arisaka bodies are OOS. I plan to mount my Modlite white light on the left side of my rifle, and just activate it with a momentary tailcap. Then I will do the IR light on the right side and a TAP switch hooked to my 9007, much like how you have set up.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Arisaka Black Friday Sale
10% Off Site Wide November 24 - 30
Discount automatically applied in cart

I ordered the EX IR 700.  I shall report back

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Do we think that either of the two Malkoff heads would wash out a TOR Mini laser?

I have a TOR mini and a 1 cell Arisaka light. I hate the TOR's lack of illum, and I'm wondering if this may be an option.

And I'm still waiting on NODs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Do we think that either of the two Malkoff heads would wash out a TOR Mini laser?

I have a TOR mini and a 1 cell Arisaka light. I hate the TOR's lack of illum, and I'm wondering if this may be an option.

And I'm still waiting on NODs.
View Quote

The TOR can output up to .7mW, same as a civvy legal DBAL, and it doesn’t wash out that.  I’d say it’ll definitely be fine on high power mode, potentially questionable on medium and low.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I need to watch. Been busy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks! That's an awesome comparison, exactly what I was looking for.

I got to play with my modlite IR under borrowed nods this weekend and it definitely reached out as far as I needed but caused the same auto-gating that you showed. I might just need to try the arisaka
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:16:39 AM EDT
[#42]
i went with the Arisaka 250mw due to the video and its perfect only autogated when extremely close and illuminates out hundred of yards which is perfect.  Its a nice tight beam wilt a great amount of spill
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Got the Arisaka 700mw out about 9pm last night. The only place with any distance was the local park. Nearly full moon and an old PVS7. Surefire 300v was good for about 50 yards. Arisaka 700mw I could light up houses about 250-300 yards away.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Have an EX IR 700 on the way.  I’ll do an updated video to compare when it gets in.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#45]
So do you all think I should go with the 750 or 250 head?

Its for a single 123 cell body, and I'm going to use it with my TOR Mini.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Have an EX IR 700 on the way.  I’ll do an updated video to compare when it gets in.
View Quote

Awesome, I can't wait to see the comparison! If it's not too much to ask, could you also show how both heads perform at close range with objects and walls? Just curious if the splash off the 700mW is too crazy for indoor/close range/barricade use compared to the 250mW. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:55:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Awesome, I can't wait to see the comparison! If it's not too much to ask, could you also show how both heads perform at close range with objects and walls? Just curious if the splash off the 700mW is too crazy for indoor/close range/barricade use compared to the 250mW. Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

@RJeff21 Thanks for the time put into making the video.  It really answered some questions I have not been able to condense into one place.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

@RJeff21 Thanks for the time put into making the video.  It really answered some questions I have not been able to condense into one place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem.  I was hoping the vid didn’t get too long or overly drawn out, but seemed like it needed some explanation to clearly lay out my specific goals with the setup.

I’m hoping to pick up a clip-on for coyote hunting here soon and hopefully the 700 will be a good answer to any potential illumination needs I have in that regard.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#50]
What kind of NV did you film the video with?

What wavelength is the Arisaka/Malkoff head? 850nm?  I'm assuming the 250mW doesn't have as much visible glow as the modlite?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top