Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2021 2:14:28 PM EDT
Aren't the mk18s used by special forces full auto? I noticed in Shawn's Ryan's rifle setup, his mk18 does not have a full auto in in the safety selector.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, they are. Might help to share the picture in question.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]
All Military M4 and derivative firearms are full auto (or burst) capable.  
There have never been non-select fire capable USMIL M16/M4 issued or purchased by the USMIL.  

18Z50
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Prob because Shawn Ryan isn’t in the military/CIA anymore.  His MK18 is just a civilian replica.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Prob because Shawn Ryan isn’t in the military/CIA anymore.  His MK18 is just a civilian replica.
View Quote

OK this makes sense then. I figured that was his ACTUAL one he used in combat but I guess all that is property of uncle Sam huh, probably had to return it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes. They're FA.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some are, some are not.
View Quote

This contradicts another person above saying ALL in the military have some sort of auto capability.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This contradicts another person above saying ALL in the military have some sort of auto capability.
View Quote

One in civilian hands vs the Military... Apples & oranges.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

One in civilian hands vs the Military... Apples & oranges.
View Quote

Not in the context of my original question.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#10]
All military issued Mk18s/CQBRs are full auto. Period.

The vast majority are mated to M4A1 lowers with a few M16A1 lowers being used on early Mk18 complete weapons.

A civilian "clone" might or might not be FA. Most aren't.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not in the context of my original question.
View Quote

Original question has its facts all jacked up... I guess I didnt understand it. He was never SF & why would he have an issued weapon at home? You see where the confusion comes from...?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Aren't the mk18s used by special forces full auto? I noticed in Shawn's Ryan's rifle setup, his mk18 does not have a full auto in in the safety selector.
View Quote

If I'm looking at the correct rifle, that guy's Mk18 is not even reasonably attempting to be partially clone correct, I would not use it as a reference for anything Mk18.

The only things it has in common with a Mk18 are a 10.3" barrel and a RIS II.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

OK this makes sense then. I figured that was his ACTUAL one he used in combat but I guess all that is property of uncle Sam huh, probably had to return it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it's not like it was his in the first place , if you are talking about his gun on his youtube channel then that's just pretty much a standard DD offering.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some are, some are not.

I believe he’s talking about AUTO vs. BURST. The original question was if all Mk18s are full auto (AUTO). Having said that, I would think that any Mk18s that were originally built on M4 lowers have since been converted to M4A1 / AUTO.

In the context of Shawn Ryan, since he’s shown other personal automatic weapons in his videos, such as his Glock with auto sear, it’s possible he’s using a DIAS in his Mk18, so the lower isn’t actually marked as such. I haven’t seen the video and don’t have time to research it right now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not totally convinced that this Shawn Ryan dude was an actual Navy SEAL. He had a video where he was unable to name a lot of pieces. Also his pictures of his in service all feature him with a very large head in proportion to the rest of his body. It's not by a lot but some are noticeable with a very large head as if someone pasted it over with bad photoshop skills.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm not totally convinced that this Shawn Ryan dude was an actual Navy SEAL.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

14 years of combat service as both a Navy SEAL and CIA Contracto/ 20 deployments to combat zones in 14 different areas.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I believe he's talking about AUTO vs. BURST. The original question was if all Mk18s are full auto (AUTO). Having said that, I would think that any Mk18s that were originally built on M4 lowers have since been converted to M4A1 / AUTO.
View Quote
AFAIK they never built them on M4 lowers, just M4A1 and M16A1 lowers, hence always AUTO.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20210118-205622_Samsung_Inter-1786029.JPG

14 years of combat service as both a Navy SEAL and CIA Contracto/ 20 deployments to combat zones in 14 different areas.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not totally convinced that this Shawn Ryan dude was an actual Navy SEAL.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20210118-205622_Samsung_Inter-1786029.JPG

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:11:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
AFAIK they never built them on M4 lowers, just M4A1 and M16A1 lowers, hence always AUTO.
View Quote

That makes sense to me and is what I always thought. I guess I figured the guy with 131K posts might know something I didn’t:

Quoted:
Some are, some are not.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:28:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Original question has its facts all jacked up... I guess I didnt understand it. He was never SF & why would he have an issued weapon at home? You see where the confusion comes from...?
View Quote

What do you mean he was never SF?

I see a few people not believing he was a SEAL? I didn't even know this was a thing. He probably has one of the bigger firearms personalities and channels out there, pretty sure he would be widely debunked if he was a fraud. Plus, if you watch him he clearly knows what he's doing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:22:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I see a few people not believing he was a SEAL? I didn't even know this was a thing. He probably has one of the bigger firearms personalities and channels out there, pretty sure he would be widely debunked if he was a fraud. Plus, if you watch him he clearly knows what he's doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First there is only one SF, ie Special Forces which is a US Army unit.  All others (ie Rangers, SEALs, MARSOC, AFSOC) are Special Operation Forces or SOF.  SEALs are not SF but SOF.  There is a difference.  SF is also known by our headgear ie the Green Beret.

Back on the Mk18s that is a US Navy designation, either Mod 0 or Mod 1.  US Army has a different Nomenclature as they are still a M4A1 variant ie Block I, CQBR, URG (block II), URGI.  M4A1s are all have full auto capability.  SOCOM has always been the primary user of the M4A1 since adoption in 94'  All military units would later convert M4s (burst) to M4A1 (auto) within the last 10 yrs or so.

CD
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are plenty of people who turn out to be frauds. Now I’m not saying he’s a fraud. I’m just saying based on his pictures having a slightly enlarged/disproportionate head and the fact in several videos he didn’t seem to know the names of things make me have doubts. Not totally convinced. I’m 80% sure he’s what he says he is but I wouldn’t buy anything from him nor would I look at his mk18 build as the basis of what’s being used.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I saw/used a fair amount of MK18s in the Army (can't speak to other services) and never saw one that wasn't full auto FWIW.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top