Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/14/2023 7:07:36 PM EDT
My 6.5 Creedmoor ar10 double tapped today and chambered the 3rd rd.  Ejected brass has spiral marks on it and a protusion where firing pin hit. The 3rd round that was chambered and extracted has spiral marks on it too? What could cause this?
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#1]
There’s a bit to unpack here.

By double tap I’m assuming you mean fired two rounds with one pull of the trigger?  If so, there’s a possibility you just bump fired a second round.  It being a semi-auto, I would expect it to chamber a third round if you fired two.  

Is this a new gun and what type of trigger is in it?  If so and it’s light, bump firing can happen, especially if you’re not used to shooting precision semi-autos.  Happens a lot more frequently with bench firing.

If it wasn’t a bump fire, you need to take a look at your FCG, as something is off there causing the double.

As for the spiral marks on the case, I’d have to see a pic.

The cratered primer is fairly common with 6.5C ARs.  It’s why some manufacturers have introduced “high pressure” bolts with smaller firing pin apertures and thinner proprietary firing pins (JP being the main one).  Would need to see pics to determine if it’s bad enough to become an issue, but I always recommend a “HP” bolt in 6.5C ARs.

ETA:  Is this LRP or SRP brass?  The issue is usually even more pronounced if using SRP.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a new build with a faxon  gunner barrel jp lmos bolt larue trigger. Adjustable gas block  was all the water off firing with suppressor.  I was surprised it even ejected with the gas block closed all the way, maybe because of the suppressor.
Large primer  hornady american whitetail 129 gr ammo. I switched the larue spring to the heavier one and put the weight back in my buffer. Think I'll remove the suppressor and start from there. Yes it fired 2 shots with one pull. I have to figure out how to get pics on here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Aero upper and lower, not 80 %
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Sent the pics to faxon, they say the brass looks normal? There is no attach image on mine it says attach a deal?
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:04:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I built it, aero upper and faxon barrel. I'll have to pull it apart and check that, thanks
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top