Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2021 12:52:25 PM EDT
I have a 12.5” ar10, it has an adjustable gas block, if I adjust it to run suppresses it cycles fine, but remove the suppressor and it’s not reliable at all and vise versa, is their anyway to make it run both suppressed and Unsuppressed  reliably ? Self adjusting piston system ?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Lighter/heavier buffer or spring maybe?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:11:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a heavy buffer in it
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:34:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Turn the gas up when not using the can and/play with buffer weights

Edit- didn't read correctly I apologize

Depending on how adjustable your gas block is I'd start with that and buffers before doing anything else.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:40:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Full power or subsonic loads?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:49:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Turn the gas up when not using the can and/play with buffer weights

Edit- didn't read correctly I apologize

Depending on how adjustable your gas block is I'd start with that and buffers before doing anything else.
View Quote

Seekins adjustable
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:49:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Full power or subsonic loads?
View Quote

Full power
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:51:15 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're running an adjustable stock and not already doing so, consider using an intermediate or A5 receiver extension with the appropriate buffer and spring. Slash at Heavy Buffers can help with the buffer weight and spring selection. Also consider David Tubb's springs. You may be so over-gassed that you may have to choke down the gas port to allow the AGB to function throughout its range. BRT Custom Tune may work for that, but is not compatible with all AGBs.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:42:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a 12.5” ar10, it has an adjustable gas block, if I adjust it to run suppresses it cycles fine, but remove the suppressor and it’s not reliable at all and vise versa, is their anyway to make it run both suppressed and Unsuppressed  reliably ? Self adjusting piston system ?
View Quote

Remove the suppressor and turn the adjustable gas block all the way down. Then gradually open it test firing one shot at a time until you find the minimum amount of gas that will still lock the bolt back without a suppressor.

Now add the suppressor back on and see if it works. It should be a little bit over gassed but not as bad as before. This is the gas setting that will give you the best chance of working in both modes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Remove the suppressor and turn the adjustable gas block all the way down. Then gradually open it test firing one shot at a time until you find the minimum amount of gas that will still lock the bolt back without a suppressor.

Now add the suppressor back on and see if it works. It should be a little bit over gassed but not as bad as before. This is the gas setting that will give you the best chance of working in both modes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did exactly this, I am using a heavy buffer from slash.

Using my pet load I put one round in the mag and adjusted the block until I just gave it enough gas it would reliably lock the bolt back, when I added the suppressor the bolt would come back and leave the empty brass on top of the magazine and double feed or jam up.

I thought about using a tubb spring as I am currently just using a dpms carbine spring
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Full power
View Quote

Reloads?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Reloads?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full power

Reloads?

Yes
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What propellant ? .... Its my feeble minded understanding is that IMR 3031 ( or something around that burn rate ) is a "better" choice in 308 short barrels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full power

Reloads?

Yes

What propellant ? .... Its my feeble minded understanding is that IMR 3031 ( or something around that burn rate ) is a "better" choice in 308 short barrels.

H335
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Using my pet load I put one round in the mag and adjusted the block until I just gave it enough gas it would reliably lock the bolt back, when I added the suppressor the bolt would come back and leave the empty brass on top of the magazine and double feed or jam up.

I thought about using a tubb spring as I am currently just using a dpms carbine spring
View Quote

Ok, so the empty case isn't ejecting..so it's a failure to eject / stovepipe. Can you post a pic of what the jam looks like? A slow motion video of the jam woukd be even better.

This might actually be a sign of an extractor issue. check to make sure that extractor looks good and no brass chips stick in it.

What happens when you leave the suppressor on but only have 1 bullet in the mag? Does it fully eject them? does it lock back?

Does adjusting the gas block down a bit result in proper cycling when using the suppressor?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:28:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ok, so the empty case isn't ejecting..so it's a failure to eject / stovepipe. Can you post a pic of what the jam looks like? A slow motion video of the jam woukd be even better.

This might actually be a sign of an extractor issue. check to make sure that extractor looks good and no brass chips stick in it.

What happens when you leave the suppressor on but only have 1 bullet in the mag? Does it fully eject them? does it lock back?

Does adjusting the gas block down a bit result in proper cycling when using the suppressor?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought about extractor issues, I upgraded the extractors spring and even added the rubber oring, cleaned the ejector even added a new spring to it

If I adjust the gas block to the suppressor then remove it the gun short strokes, won’t lock back won’t properly eject.

If I adjust it with out the suppressor it dumps the empty brass on top of the magazine

I just got it back from hydro dip last Saturday, I am going to take it out Sunday to get familiar with it again, in the mean time I might try a tubb flat wire spring
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If I adjust the gas block to the suppressor then remove it the gun short strokes, won’t lock back won’t properly eject.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ok that's as expected. can't make an under gassed gun function.

EDIT: One more thing you could try...tune gas block to the maximum amount of gas that it will function with the suppressor on, then remove suppressor and see how it does

If I adjust it with out the suppressor it dumps the empty brass on top of the magazine

I think what must be happening is the BCG velocity is so high, due to being overgassed, that the extractor spring doesn't have time to eject the case before it's sucked rearward into the action and jams up.

Upgrading the extractor spring would be the most logical fix, but you already tried that.

I just got it back from hydro dip last Saturday, I am going to take it out Sunday to get familiar with it again, in the mean time I might try a tubb flat wire spring

It's possible that some other spring or recoil mechanism might introduce some nonlinear dynamics that resolve your issue, but i'm not super optimistic. Since you already tuned it to the minimum amount of gas to function with suppressor, that means your BCG velocity without the suppressor is already as low as you can get it, and it's clearly still too fast.

At this point, I think your best bet is to use a tool free adjustable gas block for when you put the suppressor on or off.

https://seekinsprecision.com/select-adjustable-gas-block-876.html
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Ok so here is what I did, the gas block I am currently using was a seekins clone by joebob outfitters, after a little research I bought a superlative adjustable, seems like they bleed off access gas so if I adjust it to unsuppressed then suppress it, in theory it should bleed off the access and let it cycle properly.

Next I got si flat wire spring, a little research here on the board is saying they are identical to the David tubb spring, I have been wanting to try a flat wire for a while so.

I’ll zero the optic this weekend, then next week install those parts and put my theory to the test
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ok so here is what I did, the gas block I am currently using was a seekins clone by joebob outfitters, after a little research I bought a superlative adjustable, seems like they bleed off access gas so if I adjust it to unsuppressed then suppress it, in theory it should bleed off the access and let it cycle properly.
View Quote

It totally defeats the purpose of the suppressor to allow high pressure gas to bleed off through the gas block unsuppressed.  High pressure gas = high decibels.  When you bleed off gas from a gas block, it is no different from allowing high pressure gas to exit from the muzzle without a suppressor
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It totally defeats the purpose of the suppressor to allow high pressure gas to bleed off through the gas block unsuppressed.  High pressure gas = high decibels.  When you bleed off gas from a gas block, it is no different from allowing high pressure gas to exit from the muzzle without a suppressor
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you think that gas block was a waste of money ?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Double post....
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, the style you have isn't what I would have chose for use with a suppressor.

A 'bleed off' style is the one that will emit high pressure gas, causing more noise (as does the gas vent holes in an AR bolt).
A restricter style (Non-Bleed-Off), like my Strike Industries Collar Adjustable gas block, doesn't.

I like the Strike, because it can be adjusted without a tool, and can be turned off completely,
not allowing high pressure gas back into the bolt, eliminating the noise of gas escaping from the bolt, and the mechanical noise of the action cycling, which is considerable.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Dang... hmmm guess I’ll send it back
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yeah, the style you have isn't what I would have chose for use with a suppressor.

A 'bleed off' style is the one that will emit high pressure gas, causing more noise (as does the gas vent holes in an AR bolt).
A restricter style (Non-Bleed-Off), like my Strike Industries Collar Adjustable gas block, doesn't.

I like the Strike, because it can be adjusted without a tool, and can be turned off completely,
not allowing high pressure gas back into the bolt, eliminating the noise of gas escaping from the bolt, and the mechanical noise of the action cycling, which is considerable.
View Quote

That Strike Industries gas block looks pretty dang cool.  Looks like the downside is that you don't have fine-grained control as you would with a set screw, and it's heavier, but the easy adjustability is really cool.  I was just testing a new build today that needs a better gas block, so I ordered it :)
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dang... hmmm guess I’ll send it back
View Quote

Well, you don't need to send it back.  The Superlative Arms has a restrictive gas mode as well.  The bleed-off mode is entirely optional.  So you can just use it as a regular adjustable gas block and it should be fine for suppressed guns.  It just won't solve your problem of being able to swap between suppressed and non-suppressed modes.  I think that some kind of tool free operation really is the best thing for that, like the suggested gas block above...but your current gas block might be used in a different gun
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Well stay tuned I might get it straightened out next week, if I zero the gun then swop blocks will it effect zero ?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well stay tuned I might get it straightened out next week, if I zero the gun then swop blocks will it effect zero ?
View Quote

Haven't tried it, i'd guess maybe but only a little bit
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Well I got the gas block and a strike industries flat wire spring and it did the trick now my gun circles both suppressed and unsuppressed
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top