Posted: 5/15/2020 2:34:30 PM EDT
as their go to lubricant for their AR?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It is junk.  I dumped it out.

Use Mobil 1.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve been using the same 8oz bottle for 12 years. Works great. Got the bottle for free from a buddy who was in the Army. Militec used to (maybe still does) send free samples to any .mil who requested it.

I also think most gun lubricants are snake oil. Frog lube, Rem Oil, Mobil1, Crisco, etc.

If it works for you, it works.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI, mine grew something in the bottle.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LastRites:
FPNI, mine grew something in the bottle.
View Quote

Same... with an old bottle that didn't seal properly.  

That's.... weird.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't recall all the details off the top of my head, but it goes something like this.

Miltec was made to be an engine additive.  That is not a bad thing, it just didn't work and was a commercial failure.

So they started marketing it as a gun lube.  It failed military testing.

On top of that, it could cause damage to the metal.  Might have been sulfur embrittlement.  I forget, look it up.

So yea, feel free to use it on your guns, I'll keep it away from mine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Postal0311:
I don't recall all the details off the top of my head, but it goes something like this.

Miltec was made to be an engine additive.  That is not a bad thing, it just didn't work and was a commercial failure.

So they started marketing it as a gun lube.  It failed military testing.

On top of that, it could cause damage to the metal.  Might have been sulfur embrittlement.  I forget, look it up.

So yea, feel free to use it on your guns, I'll keep it away from mine.
View Quote

I haven't found ANY of that information, and I've been looking.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I have some of the 1oz bottles of it that I use as an assembly lubricant with my AR tools and parts box.
I have previously used it as a lube after I got some free from the company. I have no complaints about it, but have never really used it heavily.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't recall all the details off the top of my head, but it goes something like this.

Miltec was made to be an engine additive.  That is not a bad thing, it just didn't work and was a commercial failure.

On top of that, it could cause damage to the metal.  Might have been sulfur embrittlement.  I forget, look it up.

View Quote

Okay, seems it failed military testing as an additive to engine lubricants.  THEN they tried it as a gun lube.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#9]
i had a few free sample bottles that i stuck in my range bag and used off and on for years when a gun ran dry at the range.  It kept the guns running and didnt damagw any of them.  The bottles eventually ran out and only then did i hear about all of the drama.  Stuff worked ok for me but i wasnt using it as a primary.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used it for many years on both my rifles and military rifles.  Never had an issue and it worked well.  Nice part about it is it doesn't attract sand and dust as bad as other lubes.  

There's lots of nonsense out there about it.  It does work fine.  Other lubes work fine as well.  I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.  I ran out a few years ago and ended up with a bunch of free Slip2000 and SlipEWL so using that now.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I have rust spots on a W. German Sig that I put in storage because of that garbage.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have rust spots on a W. German Sig that I put in storage because of that garbage.
View Quote

Your not alone, I swear I recall reading the MSD sheet and it had a small amount of chlorine in it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Years ago when it started to emerge as another lube option for ARs I tried it and it worked as a lube.  It is what it is but I never bought another bottle when mine ran out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#14]
originally sold as bar and chain oil.

for me it was a rust enhancer on carry guns.

better options out on the market then and now.

If you rifle does not work on Break Free CLP ( or equiv) something is wrong with your rifle and switching oils will only mask the underlying problem.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't put that stuff on your guns. Look up the GAO report on it, very unflattering information. There are literally hundreds of better options on the market.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Same... with an old bottle that didn't seal properly.  

That's.... weird.
View Quote

Mildew or mold developed on mine
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Don't put that stuff on your guns. Look up the GAO report on it, very unflattering information. There are literally hundreds of better options on the market.
View Quote

Yep.  That crap entered the supply line over a decade ago and we got it in Iraq.  Total shit and the little bottles would leak as another poster has mentioned.  My guess is they only packaged it in the little bottles because it was unsuitable for tanks and artillery so they tried to get it in as small arms lube.  Was an odd time and a lot of crap made it into FEDLOG that shouldn't have ever been in the distribution system.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I got a small bottle in Iraq in 2005. Applied as normal, within a couple of days my rifle had rust on the barrel. Rust in a desert. I've been in jungle monsoons, and absolute deluges on 3 continents and never had rust on a weapon until that stuff.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I got a small bottle in Iraq in 2005. Applied as normal, within a couple of days my rifle had rust on the barrel. Rust in a desert. I've been in jungle monsoons, and absolute deluges on 3 continents and never had rust on a weapon until that stuff.
View Quote

I have NOT found flattering information on Militec in my research.

At all.

Just gonna stick with Mobil 1 Full synthetic and call it a day.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#20]
A funny history with Militec 1 is that it landed on the news after some military reports that M16s were jamming because of CLP. But after someone switched to Militec 1, it stopped. It got so bad that it actually got congress involved again for a short time. At one point, the military passed Militec 1 as a good lubricant but it failed every test afterwards. The military has taken Militec 1 off their supply chain, but people at Militec are so angry about it they decided to give their stuff away for free to military people. At one point if you were deploying, you could call Militec 1 and they'll give you a bottle of their stuff for free. You just use a pocket lighter you get from the px, heat the parts up with it, then apply militec and wipe it off.

My thoughts: one of the ingredients of militec 1 is chlorine which has shown over time will weaken metal. It's so bad that the military has rejected using anything with chlorine in it because at one point expensive ship engine parts were cracking/breaking and they were replacing them at a much shorter timeframe than the life the manufacturer claimed. It was found the lubrication they used (not Militec 1) was causing the metal to weaken because it contained chlorine in it. Militec says their stuff do not contain chlorine but something else.

So I don't know. You'll probably be okay if you like it but my thought is that it is toxic junk when so much better options on the market right now.

Militec 1 is like Fireclean with "real world" usage. It reached unicorn level with some people but it has dropped in popularity over the years.

Check out some of the articles/news:

https://www.gao.gov/products/A86506#:~:text=In%201988%20and%201989%2C%20MILITEC,a%20lubricant%20additive%20in%201994.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9RdzgyuJV8

And various others out there if you can find them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep.  That crap entered the supply line over a decade ago and we got it in Iraq.  Total shit and the little bottles would leak as another poster has mentioned.  My guess is they only packaged it in the little bottles because it was unsuitable for tanks and artillery so they tried to get it in as small arms lube.  Was an odd time and a lot of crap made it into FEDLOG that shouldn't have ever been in the distribution system.
View Quote

Keep in mind that it was promoted as an "additive" to lubrication. You're supposed to mix it with your bottle of CLP but it doesn't explain in what ratio you're supposed to. However, it was found that it did nothing to enhance the product. At some point in the 90s, militec-1 decided to call their products as a CLP, not just an additive. Either way, it failed to do anything it mentions.

When I first got my bottle, I used it in my mower has an oil mixer. I'm not sure if it does anything better or worse.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here is the GAO page about it. It was rejected 11 times.

https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-09-735R

The letter to the House Leader, https://www.gao.gov/assets/100/96233.pdf

https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-09-735R

It was first marketed to the USMC as an engine additive, but was rejected when it was found to contain chlorine (also the reason it does well on the spinning rod test).
They used to make claims about it being three times better than CLP at preventing rust. That you could just use this and never need a solvent or CLP type cleaner again.
This BS claim,
Fouling, deposits and metallic debris do not adhere as easily to gunmetal surfaces conditioned with MILITEC-1®.

The baking it in crap that it's reach was an alternate to firing according the very instructions on their website.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top