User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 18
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I doubt it.  As the discussion shows, the MEAN Arms product is, for the most part, directed to a different market segment.
View Quote
And we still need to see if they work as advertised or are dependent on the combination of supporting hardware and ammo choices...  The functionality of the feed ramp and ejector remain somewhat mysterious to me from what's been shown.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And we still need to see if they work as advertised or are dependent on the combination of supporting hardware and ammo choices...  The functionality of the feed ramp and ejector remain somewhat mysterious to me from what's been shown.
View Quote
I agree......once we have determined that they are good to go.....I do foresee some mag block manufacturers slowing down a bit
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I gave one a try at $31 shipped figured it was worth the gamble on what it would save me on a mag block and Colt SMG mags.

And unlike others my 9mm SBR upper is nothing but a range toy so needing multiple mags for reloads is just not necessary for my case. I think Arfcom would be surprised how few mags some gun guys have. My brother has 2 ARs a DD & Ruger Piston AR and has you guessed it 2 mags.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I doubt it.  As the discussion shows, the MEAN Arms product is, for the most part, directed to a different market segment.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote
Really, I think the people that will buy this (including myself) probably also have a dedicated lower, a glock lower, a mag well adapter, 10 mags by 11 companies and even though they have 50 magpul mags, will buy more magpul mags to convert into these, just to keep them separate.

So yeah, I don't think mag well adapters were big sellers anyway, but doubt they'll slow down to sales of a small company that a few forums know about.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep, that is correct.(I should have stated a modded 223 bolt)
View Quote
It is my understanding in talking with CMMG CS and what has been posted by them about the Guard system that the "S" slot for the Guard carrier has a more aggressive angle than in a standard "S" slot in a standard carrier.  Even if you modify the standard bolt, I'm not sure that you would get complete function.

Scott

ETA:  I own a couple of lowers with the Colt pinned in magwell adapters and over 20-32 round Colt and Metalform Colt style mags but I just ordered four sets of three EndoMag inserts.  Being fortunate enough to own a DIAS, with the EndoMag inserts, I wouldn't have to move my sear from one lower to another.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Really, I think the people that will buy this (including myself) probably also have a dedicated lower, a glock lower, a mag well adapter, 10 mags by 11 companies and even though they have 50 magpul mags, will buy more magpul mags to convert into these, just to keep them separate.

So yeah, I don't think mag well adapters were big sellers anyway, but doubt they'll slow down to sales of a small company that a few forums know about.
View Quote
Already ordered coyote brown Pmags just for these....
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Already ordered coyote brown Pmags just for these....
View Quote
Same here
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
nevermind.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I’m a lancer / usgi mag kinda guy.   I don’t have magpuls, even though I think they are absolutely good to go.

So I need some mags and I have read and watched the video on Mean website.

Are all gen 2 and gen 3 mags good to go?   Would a window mag work?   Im assuming yes, but would the window be functional?   I suppose I’ll ask them as well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I am puzzled that they didn't do a USGI mag version 1st, as folks behind enemy lines likely have USGI mags rather than Magpuls.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  Magpuls are cooler.
View Quote
Sure.  But Californians don't have 30 round Magpuls.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#14]
If they only made then for USGI mags, I would pass.

I get your point though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Looks like the window would work fine, the rounds are positioned in the back of the mag where the window is.
View Quote
I’ll have to watch that video again, on a bigger screen.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Sent Mean arms a email asking if they would be making a conversion for aluminium NATO style Ar mags and the following is what they sent.

Good Afternoon Mr.

At this time we are only pursuing our design for GEN2/3 PMAGS. As we perfect our technology we hope to design EndoMags for other calibers and capacities. Thanks for your inquiry and your continued support of MEAN Arms.

Regards,

Tommy Lawson

Just checked and 10MM fits in a pmag. So hopefully we will see that.

Also they responded to my email within 20 mins or so. Wasn't expecting that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just checked and 10MM fits in a pmag. So hopefully we will see that.
View Quote
Problem there is the same as trying to stack 6.8 in a Pmag (same case diameter).
It's not a true double stack and the friction on the walls becomes considerable due to the stack geometry trying to spread as it compresses.

That's why Magpul doesn't make 6.8 PMAGS except for the proprietary SIX8 LWRC rifle, with a wider magwell.

10mm WILL stack just fine in a metal 6.8 mag body though.  I posted pictures earlier in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#18]
In regard to the windowed pmags.   The window will show the rounds but the number will not be accurate.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Since I have been considering a 9mm pistol build for a while, this is very interesting to me.  Never liked the rear-swept Glock look, nor the particulars associated with the Colt mags.  Not having to buy a new lower is very appealing.  I will have to wait and see the videos/read the reports of compatibility with the Guard system.  Until then, I'll have to avoid all of the armchair quarterbacking and speculation.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I wonder what the ejector is made out of and if it is polymer how will it hold up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I just wandered into the Rimfire and Pistol Calibers section to see if anyone had come up with a reliable pistol caliber drop in conversion that didn't require tweaking.

I have an SBR lower that I currently have 2 uppers for, 300 Blackout and 5.56.  I really like being able to swap uppers and have a different caliber with no additional tweaking needed.  I had looked into 9mm conversions in the past but they all needed the bolt catch removed, or set screws adjusted, or other tweaking that, at least to me, made them not really "drop in" conversions.  I figured someone had come up with something better since the last time I looked.

For what I want, this is about perfect.  Swap uppers (maybe the buffer as well?) and go.

Not ready to jump on this right away (don't have funds for 9mm upper right now), but will be keeping my eye out for reviews when they are released.  If positive, I may use Black Friday/Cyber Monday to build a 9mm upper instead of the 308 AR I was planning.

Also, someone tell Faxon to make a 9mm magazine band.  I think green would be a good color...
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quote from another site:

"For those that are interested, I got an email from MeanArms. They will soon be making a 10 round version for 10 round pmags."

Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I’d rather see a GI style mag conversion. Think it makes more sense.

But the company seems to be on a roll making stuff. Hope they keep it up.

The mag conversion is one of the few things holding me up on my build.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quote from another site:

"For those that are interested, I got an email from MeanArms. They will soon be making a 10 round version for 10 round pmags."

View Quote
I'd like to see a 20rd version also...
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I could have sworn that one of their videos says it comes as ten rounds and you just trim the follower to allow bigger capacities...
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I could have sworn that one of their videos says it comes as ten rounds and you just trim the follower to allow bigger capacities...
View Quote
You are correct, but all of those capacities still need the 30rd PMAG.

They may make 10rd and 20rd that will fit in smaller PMAGs...that is how I am reading it anyway.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lemme know when they make one for the D-60.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I will be happy just getting my 3 - 30 rounders for now.

I have 3 new gen 3 Coyote PMAGS.....so I am ready for a tracking number
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Have they released a hard date when these would be shipping?

Not on FB or twitter so unsure if they are posting anything.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#30]
damn, I just ordered a AR-9mm lower from PSA.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I used their contact page to ask about compatibility with the CMMG Guard uppers.  Here's their response:

We have tested our EndoMag with the CMMG Guard and it works without issue. Make sure you pre-order your EndoMag and be one of the first people to receive one in the last week of September. Thanks for your question and we look forward to having you as a valued MEAN Arms customer. Stay tuned on our YouTube channel for a very informative video to be released shortly on the EndoMag product.

Regards,

Tommy Lawson
View Quote
Edit to add:
I was originally going to wait until first hand reviews came out, but I took a gamble and ordered a 3 pack.

(Another edit...) I just saw in comments on their YouTube video that they have a 30 day money back guarantee and lifetime warranty.  It doesn't feel like as much of a 'gamble' now.  Now I just need a 9mm upper.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I used their contact page to ask about compatibility with the CMMG Guard uppers.  Here's their response:
View Quote
Perfect, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Tried to order but the FREESHIP coupon doesn't work anymore.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#34]
When I ordered mine, the code didn't work either.  Shipping for me was a little over $5, so for a 3 pack plus shipping, it was under $75.

I just ordered three gen 2 Pmags from Brownells for $10.55 a piece.  I also threw in a sling I was wanting which put it over $50 for free shipping.

Now I just have to save up for a 9mm upper and hope the reviews between now and then are positive.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:. In my experience, you're incorrect. Thousands of Californians are using Pmags that they purchased disassembled, as "rebuild kits" for their preban magazines. They're used openly at public ranges, it's commonly overlooked.
View Quote
God bless em!  Thanks for the correction.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#37]
MEAN EndoMag™ Update || Facebook Poll Open

Another video from mean.

States it will work with the CMMG guard uppers with a modification. They will ship Guard compatible models if the buyer puts that info into the notes when purchasing.

Also teased a possible MEAN buffer weight and spring system to simplify 9mm conversions.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
If I watched the video correctly, The 30 rd pmag holds a 50rd box of 9mm.

I'd be happy with 25rds of 9mm in the 20rd mag :]

PS: ordered set of 3 :]
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if serious??
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

30rnds 9mm in a 30 rnd pmag, OP video starts with a partial box of ammo not full 50rnd
I assume 19-20rnds in a 20rnd pmag
@0:42 He explains the different limiter tab cuts: 10/15/20/30rnd
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToGm1ToNOR4

Another video from mean.

States it will work with the CMMG guard uppers with a modification. They will ship Guard compatible models if the buyer puts that info into the notes when purchasing.

Also teased a possible MEAN buffer weight and spring system to simplify 9mm conversions.
View Quote
I received a response from them earlier that the EndoMag worked with the Guard uppers "without issue".  They didn't mention modifications at that time.

I sent them an email with my order number and had them flag mine for the CMMG version.  I received a response back that they made the adjustment to my order.

And now the waiting game begins.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I received a response from them earlier that the EndoMag worked with the Guard uppers "without issue".  They didn't mention modifications at that time.

I sent them an email with my order number and had them flag mine for the CMMG version.  I received a response back that they made the adjustment to my order.

View Quote
From what the guy in the video says they remove the molded ejector from the conversion to work with the Guard.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
From what the guy in the video says they remove the molded ejector from the conversion to work with the Guard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also contacted them regarding the Guard wondering if the ejector could be put back or is it a permanent change.  They replied that it has to be cut off so no putting back.
I also asked if they is any other mod like mag height and waiting for a response.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I also contacted them regarding the Guard wondering if the ejector could be put back or is it a permanent change.  They replied that it has to be cut off so no putting back.
I also asked if they is any other mod like mag height and waiting for a response.
View Quote
In another thread where I was asking about Guard uppers, you linked to a video of yours.  Quick question (I hope) - what buffer and spring were you running?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
In another thread where I was asking about Guard uppers, you linked to a video of yours.  Quick question (I hope) - what buffer and spring were you running?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://c3junkie.com/?page_id=538
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I read that page earlier when I searched for "Guard buffer weight".  Got me wondering what you were using.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
I got a response back that the mag height is NOT altered for the Guard....so just cutting off of the ejector.  That is pretty awesome, so you should be able to use a standard, unmodified AR mag catch with the Endomag and it is just an upper swap to go back and forth from 556 to 9mm....(Yeah, I know they did that in the video but I was skeptical that either the Endomag's insert's height was different to accommodate the Guard or the mag catch was altered).
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I got a response back that the mag height is NOT altered for the Guard....so just cutting off of the ejector.  That is pretty awesome, so you should be able to use a standard, unmodified AR mag catch with the Endomag and it is just an upper swap to go back and forth from 556 to 9mm....(Yeah, I know they did that in the video but I was skeptical that either the Endomag's insert's height was different to accommodate the Guard or the mag catch was altered).
View Quote
That's going to be awesome if it works as well as they say.

This is exactly what I have been looking for.  I currently swap uppers on my SBR lower to go back and forth between 5.56 and 300 Blackout.  If I can do the same with 9mm, I'll be happy.

The video was what got me thinking about buffer weights - I noticed they used one buffer/spring for the Guard upper, and a different buffer/spring for all of the other 9mm uppers (and the buffer/spring for 5.56 is initially removed and set aside).  I suppose a buffer/spring swap while swapping uppers is not unreasonable for what I want to be able to do.

I know they are going to make the EndoMag in some color to differentiate it from other Pmags, but I'm still partial to magazine bands.  I keep one magazine band on the upper I'm not using, then when I switch uppers, I take the band from that upper, put it around the mag well, then put the band that was there on the upper I just removed.  I use Faxon bands, so blue for 5.56 and red for 300 blackout.  On the mags, I use one band for supers, and two bands for subs.  The above system works well for me, I'd like to keep using it.  I'm considering buying the yellow 7.62 bands and using them inside out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
As far as buffers and springs, my hope would be that I can find a combination that's heavy enough to work well with a 9mm upper and also allow function with an 11.5" upper. The 5.56 upper is suppressed, so I would think the combination of the short barrel and the can would give it enough gas to run with a heavier than normal buffer/spring combo.
View Quote
If you go with the Guard setup you can use the same buffer.

I have an 8.5" Guard barrel in 9mm and a 10.5" Noveske 5.56 barrel.  I run both uppers (semi and FA) on an A5 extension with A5H2 buffer.  No problems.
Page / 18
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top