BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/6/2022 5:11:28 PM EDT
I seen tacked thread, it simply describes the various mags. But does anyone own all flavors of polymer AR15 mags;

Magpul

Hexmag

Promag

Wilson combat

Etc

Curious how they all hold up,  durability,  longevity of being loaded 24/7, Fit and drop from various AR lowers. Etc
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw.

Promags are junk.

I sold my Magpuls and replaced them with Lancers.

That's all I got.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Got some Amend2 grendel mags will gladly sell...
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Pmags , Troy and Lancers.

Lancers are superior in every way.

Next Troys

Last pmags

Still prefer good old fashioned GI mags though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had surprisingly good luck with Hexmags to include a HSP D5 course no issues, sample size of 1 and hardly a combat experience but YMMV, they were $6 a pop at a gun store a couple years back and I snagged 20 of em. Pmags work great as well
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Lancers and PMags nothing else.  They both work & are relatively cheap, and most importantly available, can't see the risk in exploring other options.

I prefer to let others do the beta testing.....
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#6]
My one polymer ProMag w/ their twin-roller self-leveling follower works fine.  Most of my Thermolds work fine, although I did have an issue w/ some of their flush-fit 10 rounders, the floorplate was just a titch too tall for the mags to lock in, the rest of em ran fine.

In a severely undergassed gun, the difference in feeding btwn a Gen 1 straight 20 rounder PMag and a Gen 3 curved 30 is noticeable, Gen 3 curves feed much better than the straight 20 if you're undergassed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 1:58:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I seen tacked thread, it simply describes the various mags. But does anyone own all flavors of polymer AR15 mags;

Magpul

Hexmag

Promag

Wilson combat

Etc

Curious how they all hold up,  durability,  longevity of being loaded 24/7, Fit and drop from various AR lowers. Etc
View Quote

Nope. Only own windowed PMAG M3 magazines. Black and MCT.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I've only had experience with the PMAG and Lancer mags, and they given good service.  I saw a Promag in the trash at the range and it looked cheaply made.

Link Posted: 3/7/2022 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've only had experience with the PMAG and Lancer mags, and they given good service.  I saw a Promag in the trash at the range and it looked cheaply made.

View Quote

+1 Pmag and Lancer
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Pmag and hexmags here. Both work fine.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Pmag M3s work so damn good, I can't see any reason to look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I have PMAGs and Lancer AWMs. I prefer the PMAGs.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Magpul: The absolute standard.

Lancer: Pretty damn good too, though some will refer to military testing where they bound up with heavy sand exposure.

Hexmag: Flimsy garbage. Had a bunch that acted like the springs were wore out despite being mostly new. Gun was outrunning the mags.

Troy: The baseplates break if they drop on concrete. Followers tilt. Flimsy feed lips.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 4:40:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My one polymer ProMag w/ their twin-roller self-leveling follower works fine.  Most of my Thermolds work fine, although I did have an issue w/ some of their flush-fit 10 rounders, the floorplate was just a titch too tall for the mags to lock in, the rest of em ran fine.

In a severely undergassed gun, the difference in feeding btwn a Gen 1 straight 20 rounder PMag and a Gen 3 curved 30 is noticeable, Gen 3 curves feed much better than the straight 20 if you're undergassed.
View Quote

Do you have 20 round Thermolds? How do they run?
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 4:41:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Magpul: The absolute standard.

Lancer: Pretty damn good too, though some will refer to military testing where they bound up with heavy sand exposure.

Hexmag: Flimsy garbage. Had a bunch that acted like the springs were wore out despite being mostly new. Gun was outrunning the mags.

Troy: The baseplates break if they drop on concrete. Followers tilt. Flimsy feed lips.
View Quote

Did you have the 1st generation Hexmag?
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do you have 20 round Thermolds? How do they run?
View Quote

I have one that’s pretty decent. Not put through the ringer, but so far so good. If you can get by the looks. I like others better. But I’ve gone back to mostly metal GI type mags.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  Do you have 20 round Thermolds? How do they run?
View Quote

I may have a straight 20 round Thermold, don't remember.  Thermold sent me a half-dozen or more of the 10 rounders for T&E 9 years ago.  Pre-ban ones get sent to Massachusetts.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#18]
have pmags, both 2nd and 3rd gen, hexamags and lancers.  I love the lancers, they're my favorite mags but I use them exclusively with my 300BO build.  The hexamags work but they're no where near as good as the pmags.  I know that the 3rd gen pmags have a higher feedlip, but I see no noticeable difference between 2nd and 3rd gen in either of my 5.56 ARs.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I only buy Gen 3 PMags at this point, as I have a few CavArms lowers from the Trinity Ordnance Sabre Defense blowout, and Gen 3 operate the LRBHO of the Cav Arms Mark 2, whereas the Gen 2s won't do so reliably.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Lancer- top tier
Daniel Defenese- Just as good as the magpuls but hold 32
Magpul- The standard disposable poly mag, I like the windowed gen 3s
Troy- Bought 10 of them years ago for 6 bucks a pop on sale and was surprised how good they are. have nice magpul on the bottom if your into that.
Hex- TRASH, I wish they weren't garbage because i like the feel of them, but they seat like shit, they dont like to drop free easily and I seem to get dbl feeds often with them. Prob could change out the follower to improve that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Have these. None have not functioned so far but I don't leave them loaded.
Magpul
HK polymer ones
Some that say IMI on the bottom but have seen them sold by other companies. https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1819
Amend 2
Lancer kind of a hybrid mag though
Some made in Bulgaria. I think they hold 35 rounds or some weird number.
One old 10 round one DPMS sold during the ban

Have couple of 20 round ones that say Master molder on them but have never used them I don't think.

Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:  Have these. None have not functioned so far but I don't leave them loaded.
Magpul
HK polymer ones
Some that say IMI on the bottom but have seen them sold by other companies. https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1819
Amend 2
Lancer kind of a hybrid mag though
Some made in Bulgaria. I think they hole 35 rounds or some weird number.
One old 10 round one DPMS sold during the ban

Have couple of 20 round ones that say Master molder on them but have never used them I don't think.
View Quote

Send your pre-ban Master Molders to Massachusetts.  They're desperate, they'll get em to work.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Send your pre-ban Master Molders to Massachusetts.  They're desperate, they'll get em to work.
View Quote

95 with LE marking.
I thought about selling my old aluminum mags but the wording seemed too iffy for me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Magpul - great.
Daniel Defense - great also.
Lancer - another good or even great mag.
Hexmag - the Gen2's work for me.
Amend2 - 10 rd Mod-2 mags in my case, again these feed okay for me but I've had issues with LRBHO function in one lower running a hydraulic buffer.
ETS - not a fan of their AR mags, have a couple that just don't play nice.
Schmeisser - 60 rd mag works good for me.
Beta Mags - hell yeah!

Now for the sleeper in the bunch - MSAR, that's right I said MSAR. Bought some 30's and 40's years ago at a fun show and they are great range mags.

Now TBH I'd probably trust only the first 3 on my list in a social situation. Having said that I've moved away from Lancers because they rattle in my guns. Odd reason I know but I hunt with AR's so there you go YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Saw.

Promags are junk.

I sold my Magpuls and replaced them with Lancers.

That's all I got.
View Quote

Lancers are phenomenal.

Pro mag makes cheap and questionable products.  Even their pistol mags are my worst mags.  KCI makes better Glock mags than pro mag by a long shot.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I've mainly used PMAGs with a handful of Lancers and a single Troy. The Troy has been in my range beater pile for years and is a nice mag. The PMAGs and Lancers have been good. I've only had one PMAG break; M2 FDE that split on the spine. The FDE is not as strong as the black. Mag still runs, just swells when loaded.

I mostly buy PMAGs. They are stupid cheap with PSA's daily deals.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lancers are phenomenal.

Pro mag makes cheap and questionable products.  Even their pistol mags are my worst mags.  KCI makes better Glock mags than pro mag by a long shot.
View Quote

I've had 4 ProMags now, all have worked fine.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Magpul - great.
Amend2 - 10 rd Mod-2 mags in my case, again these feed okay for me but I've had issues with LRBHO function in one lower running a hydraulic buffer.
Beta Mags - hell yeah!

Now for the sleeper in the bunch - MSAR, that's right I said MSAR. Bought some 30's and 40's years ago at a fun show and they are great range mags.

Now TBH I'd probably trust only the first 3 on my list in a social situation. Having said that I've moved away from Lancers because they rattle in my guns. Odd reason I know but I hunt with AR's so there you go YMMV.
View Quote

I recently bought an MSAR to test and it was awful.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Echo all of the above

Like my Lancers best

PMags are fine

GI no issues except old followers

ProMags (all other polymers) are malfunction drill mags...
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Lancers are probably the best plastic magazine's, I still prefer aluminum USGI mags.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magpul - great.
Beta Mags - hell yeah!

I'm surprised by our poor results. I bought mine between 2014 and 2015 and have used them primarily in an old SP1 RR.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm surprised by our poor results. I bought mine between 2014 and 2015 and have used them primarily in an old SP1 RR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Now for the sleeper in the bunch - MSAR, that's right I said MSAR. Bought some 30's and 40's years ago at a fun show and they are great range mags.

When I posted about my issues I was told that MSAR was known for terrible AR mags.  Apparently a lot of them out there for cheap.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#33]
ProMags are garbage, aside from the ones backbencher owns, who needs to buy a lottery ticket

I can't imagine straying far from PMags, they are everywhere
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:  ProMags are garbage, aside from the ones backbencher owns, who needs to buy a lottery ticket

View Quote

Don't play the lottery, but I married an ARFCOMer, so I've already won.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Lancers, Surefeeds and Pmags.  

Oh and Duramags
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I know they've gotten some bad feedback at times, but I like Lancer mags and I've never had a problem after case after case after case of ammo.  Pmags are what I have the most of and I'd recommend both lancer and pmag without hesitation.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  ProMags are garbage, aside from the ones backbencher owns, who needs to buy a lottery ticket

What's his name?  

My straight bodied 20rd pMags worked great today
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#38]
All of my go-to ammo is loaded in m3 p-mags.

Lancer has the backup ammo.

Everything else is loaded in D&H or m2 p-mags.

I need to do no other testing. These work.

Others might be just as good, but I am pretty settled on these.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What's his name?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's his name?  

The late Fatalwishes' widow, FW_wife.

You'll likely only see issues w/ the straight PMags if the gun is severely undergassed.

I would argue that clear Lancers make more sense in the .300 Blackout era, where one errant round can blow up a $2k gun.  Put your 5.56x45 in clear Lancers, that way you can see if a .300 Blackout round snuck in there.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 12:59:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Lancers and PMags nothing else.  They both work & are relatively cheap, and most importantly available, can't see the risk in exploring other options.

I prefer to let others do the beta testing.....
View Quote

This.

Shit tons of pmags.  My go to war kit is all lancers.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You'll likely only see issues w/ the straight PMags if the gun is severely undergassed.

I would argue that clear Lancers make more sense in the .300 Blackout era, where one errant round can blow up a $2k gun.  Put your 5.56x45 in clear Lancers, that way you can see if a .300 Blackout round snuck in there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's his name?  

I've got my suppressed SBR tuned to be smooth as can be with an SLR gas block.  

Even metal follower 20s work good still

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62443/20220309_130446_jpg-2308235.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's his name?  

Yeah, a suppressed SBR is not likely to suffer from undergas.  I experienced issues using .223 in a 27" bbl w/ rifle + 3" gas.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah, a suppressed SBR is not likely to suffer from undergas.  I experienced issues using .223 in a 27" bbl w/ rifle + 3" gas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's his name?  

27" barrel seems like a lot.  Honestly need to do adjustable on all my setups as the shorty is the smoothest
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is it weird that I recognized your dust before I checked the username?
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 2 properties are quite dusty except when they are muddy ... I clean the innards.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Did you have the 1st generation Hexmag?
View Quote

That I do not know. They were purchased from Primary Arms in 2019.

ETA: They were Gen 2. I traded them to a buddy for a box of M193 with full disclosure on a range trip. He had the same problem.

Link Posted: 3/10/2022 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Damn, no love for Orlite mags??  Lol, last time I used one it spit out like 5 rounds, had to be a decade or more ago.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#49]
AUG mags!

For ARs, I keep PMAGs for actual use, Lancers for aesthetics. The few Lancers I've had never fed as well as PMAGs for me, and I've had two of them fail after impacts that the PMAGs have taken. One was ruined feed lips and the other had the steel top separate from the polymer body.

Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Magpul, Lancer and ETS.

Picked up some AC Unity but haven't tried them yet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top