Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/28/2020 6:47:34 PM EDT
I have been looking at the new gen 2 version and it looks awesome.  It mounts directly to an A2 flash hider.  Does it help much with blast and noise?  I would be using this on 14.5 and 16 inch guns.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Griffin-Armament-QD-Blast-Shield-p/ga-qd-blastshield.htm
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a blast shield on my AR.

It helps with the crack/blast.  It doesn't make anything quieter, just not as sharp a crack.

I'm honestly thinking of ditching it for a comp that provides more control.  

If this was closer to $100 I'd consider it since the A2 attachment could work well with some of the better comps, but close to $200.... not worth it, imho.  Money better spent on good electronic ears.

They do look sorta cool.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I had two.  They look cool, kind of heavy, changed POI with it on by 1.5", and had a bit of a fireball.  It was still loud but pushed noise more forward.

I sold both due to the weight and flash.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had two.  They look cool, kind of heavy, changed POI with it on by 1.5", and had a bit of a fireball.  It was still loud but pushed noise more forward.

View Quote

I'm reading this as you had the GA gen2 blast shield.  So it sounds like you did not really get much of a quieting effect for the shooter which is what I'm after.  The GA blast shield is closed on the end more like a suppressor so I was thinking this might be more effective but your experience seems to be that's not the case.  Dang, I had high hopes for this high quality looking device but it does not sounds like it does not work very well.  I see from the specs it's heavy which on the end of a 14.5 or 16 might be too much.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Various-brand-QD-Blast-Devices-/118-754582/

@GAU-8

My main reason for using a QD Blast device is I want the ability to swap between a muzzle brake and a blast device as desired.
View Quote

Wow, that's some excellent reviewing and reporting.  So I'm guessing you stuck with the Surefire?  Performance wise, how did the GA gen2 do compared to the Surefire?  I'm interested in the GA because it will likely fit on my factory Colt ARs without having to mod them with a different muzzle device.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm reading this as you had the GA gen2 blast shield.  So it sounds like you did not really get much of a quieting effect for the shooter which is what I'm after.  The GA blast shield is closed on the end more like a suppressor so I was thinking this might be more effective but your experience seems to be that's not the case.  Dang, I had high hopes for this high quality looking device but it does not sounds like it does not work very well.  I see from the specs it's heavy which on the end of a 14.5 or 16 might be too much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.  I owned two Gen2 dimpled.  I also had GA cans coming my way at the time so wanted to be familiar with the locking mechanism, which is the same.

The muzzle device is close, but there are three additional front ports the suppressors do not have.

Sound - it helped slightly, but the weight on the end of a 16" was a bit much.  I just didn't think the benefits were worth the concessions.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top