Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2019 2:27:12 AM EDT
Curious if any members have experience with A PWS Mk111 (Mod 1 or 2 or Pro version) vs. the BRN-180S? I know PWS helped design and make the BRN-180 series. But you have the long stroke piston of the Mk111 vs. the short stroke of the BRN-180 rifles. I'm curious how the two compare overall? I own a couple of PWS rifles and I am very happy with them. I have been interested in the BRN-180 and specifically the 180S when they were announced. I like the idea of the ability to put the upper on a side folder. An alternative to going the Sig MCX route.

So if anyone has information or experience to add regarding the PWS Mk111 vs. BRN-180S I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 4:26:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump. Anyone have time with both the BRN-180S and a PWS?
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry I don't have any time with either, but with that said I'm also interested in the 180. The AR18 style operating action is the neat part to me.

The PWS is still a piston conversion AR15 at the end of the day, even if it is the best one of the bunch.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't shot both but I do have a PWS and it is the smoothest piston gun I've ever owned (and I had them all outside of HK)…

Having said that...you can't go wrong with either in my opinion...AR-180 action is great...they had an issue with the barrels walking...but that has been fixed...

Pick your poison...if you want high value...check out the PWS PRO line...under $1000 for a full rifle...only thing I've added is a POF roller cam pin and ambi safety...such a butter smooth setup...

The way the handguard is attached is awesome...PWS machined the upper where the handguard is directly attached to the upper vs a barrel nut...very ridged. Its a beefy extension and acts as great heatsink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymqUOd8bnP4
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't shot both but I do have a PWS and it is the smoothest piston gun I've ever owned (and I had them all outside of HK)…

Having said that...you can't go wrong with either in my opinion...AR-180 action is great...they had an issue with the barrels walking...but that has been fixed...

Pick your poison...if you want high value...check out the PWS PRO line...under $1000 for a full rifle...only thing I've added is a POF roller cam pin and ambi safety...such a butter smooth setup...

The way the handguard is attached is awesome...PWS machined the upper where the handguard is directly attached to the upper vs a barrel nut...very ridged. Its a beefy extension and acts as great heatsink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymqUOd8bnP4
View Quote
I own a couple of PWS rifles. Was just wanting to see if anyone has had experience with both the BRN and PWS so that I could get an idea of the differences  in terms of recoil feel, accuracy and the other stuff.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you shot a MCX before?

I bet they would feel near identical...same operating system essentially.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have you shot a MCX before?

I bet they would feel near identical...same operating system essentially.
View Quote
No I haven't. That's the other potential route I have been considering. Pros and cons of the BRN-180s vs. MCX. I just want something in the collection with folding stock/brace that can shoot when folded (don't want Law Folder). I like the MCX ability to change barrels and calibers but I like the price much better with the BRN-180.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
The MCX is the more polished design between the two.  It has the backing of one of the largest firearms manufacturers and has world wide adoption by elite units including US Special Operations.

What performance criteria is important to you?
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 1:17:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The MCX is the more polished design between the two.  It has the backing of one of the largest firearms manufacturers and has world wide adoption by elite units including US Special Operations.

What performance criteria is important to you?
View Quote
I got plenty of DI ARs. Got a couple of PWS piston rifles. Was wanting to add a pistol setup with a side folder that doesn't rely on a law folder. So side folder is obvious an important criteria (why I was considering the BRN-180). The other performance characteristics I would like is for it to function well while suppressed as it will be shot only suppressed. So the adjustable gas of the BRN-180S was another checkmark for me. Good build quality and design plus accurate enough. I think those are the main things.

I really like how the PWS shoots. The recoil impulse is fantastic and I would put it up there with my KAC SR15s I have owned. So was hoping maybe some guys that have shot the BRN-180s might have some previous experience with a PWS and could comment on their thoughts between the two. Whether the BRN-180s is something that I would really like and want coming from a PWS or if I should maybe look at something else. The Sig MCX Virtus pistol is a nice gun, I like the modularity of it. Just not sure I really like the price I would have to dish out for one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I don’t know how well the BRN180 does suppressed.  I imagine it should do fine.  If you don’t care about some of the other features the MCX has than I’d give the BRN180 a shot.  It looks fun.  If you want a gun for serious use I would look for something more vetted.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 5:16:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Mk111 Mod 1 upper on my SBR lower. I like it quite a bit. I don't notice it being any different feeling than a standard DI gun. I shoot it suppressed 99% of the time, and its great. No experience with the 180 though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a Mk111 Mod 1 upper on my SBR lower. I like it quite a bit. I don't notice it being any different feeling than a standard DI gun. I shoot it suppressed 99% of the time, and its great. No experience with the 180 though.
View Quote
I am looking at a PWS MK111 Pro (the cheaper model without the fancier upper/rail) upper to use on existing SBR/pistol lowers.  Any issues with buffer weight?  I have H2's in most everything.  Would you put in the "highly recommend" category?  I am looking at about $550 for the ~12" upper.  Thanks!

ETA:  I'd run it suppressed 99%+ of the time.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top