BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/8/2018 10:37:01 AM EDT
Lots of awesome retro builds, but does anyone have a practical A2 circa 2018?

While this concept is certainly limited by what the A2 is, it's still fun as hell to update an A2 with quality components.

Here is my submission which some of you have seen before:

The A2 in the above photo has a Kac M5 RAS. The rifle has a 1/2x1/2 NM rear with a blackhawk same plane aperture. The KAC Ras is a bit too heavy and made the A2 a little less practical than plastic handguards IMHO.

The NM sights are a nice combo for the A2. Get you a NM rear and same plane while you can, even if its just for the parts bin. It needs 1/2 minute windage to accept USGI style apertures. These might go the way of the dodo in the future.

I have a griffen compensator up front, a spikes trigger, and a cheapy sling.

A1 buttstock in place from Cav. Holds spare bolt, firing pin, cam, all bolt small parts, oil tube, front sight adjustment tool, and FSB top sling adapter.

This A2 is one of my favorite rifles.

Since then I have ditched the RAS, then tried a Magpul handguard set ( a little heavier than need be ), and cav mfg handguards ( just right) and a Kerm Lock light mount.

I have added and removed an Acog. Didnt like the chinweild and the reticle was not my favorite.

So I am planning on another full round of A2 updates.

I have my sights on a modern Quad rail. In this case a BCM 12 inch QRF which will weigh less than the stock handguard and barrel nut / delta setup. From here, a light and maybe a IR laser at some point.

Also have a Larue trigger on the way.

When I get all that installed, i will update with pics.

Also installed a XS tritium front. Have not sighted in yet.

Rifle is a smooth shooter ( as most A2s are) and the comp only makes it that much smoother. I launch 75 grain pills from it and once I FF it, i will sight it in for 55 XM193 and my pet load by painting the zero on the W/E drum.

I have toyed with the idea of a binary trigger, but i fear the A2 stock and buffer might not be able to keep up with my finger.

Its the funnest rifle I have to shoot. By far. With 75 grain pills and a 20 inch tube... It also hits pretty hard.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a good looking rifle!  I'm going basic with my AR, and am doing nothing more than the M&P-15 Sport 2 with an added carry handle in place of the flip up Magpul rear sight they come with, and I'll put a Magpul grip on it to fill my hand better and I have a pad for the stock, and that's it.  No lights, lasers or other optics, at least for now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually, I mounted my Light to it just the other day.  On a MI FSB rail.  But I just don't like it.  It's makes it heavy and the light is too far out.  I would toy with the idea of adding a rail to the handguards but I don't want to muck up the original Colt ones. I do have another pair, but they're the fat kind and I just don't like them as much.

My M4gery works better as my HD gun and I don't really need a light on the A2.  But if it were my only one, I'd be figuring out a way to mount a light with adding as little weight as possible.  Which would probably be just drilling some holes and attaching a rail like I did on my M4gery.

But I definitely like yours and think a thread showing A2's with modern upgrades on it is a great idea!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Needs moar collapsible stock like current US Army retrofits.

Better binary triggers have a bolt carrier position sensor that prevents hammer follow.

Nice gat.  I'd like to build a late issue A2, if only to drive some folks crazy.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Better binary triggers have a bolt carrier position sensor that prevents hammer follow.

Nice gat.  I'd like to build a late issue A2, if only to drive some folks crazy.
View Quote
I couldnt warm up to a collapsable on my A2. Clone appropriate but I just couldn't do eeet.

JJREA the Kerm Lock is detachable and doesnt modify the handguards whatsoever. Really neat system.

QUAD RAIL HANDGUARDS THAT FIT 20 INCH A2:

Larue 12.0 - great handguard but a bit heavy by todays standards. 16.8 oz.

G Mk7 - great modern handguard system, but really made for High Power. Weighs more than the Larue.

BCM 12 inch QRF - based on the super lightweight BCM KMR and weighs 14.1 oz with hardware. - edit anti roation hardware does not fit A2!

Centurion C4 12 inch weighs in at 15.3 with standard barrel nut.

So going with the QRF seems the most appropriate. Lighter weight should make my A2 feel even handier.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#5]
An early Gulf War updated A2?  One with a  shitty USGI 2xD cell flashlight duct taped to the front stock?   Perhaps one with a smuggled Aimpoint on the upper deck?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Since I have been down this path, an M4 buffer, tube, and spring probably won't run right on a 20" rifle.  It needs and A5 buffer kit.  CMMG and VLTOR sell this kit, I have two, and they work.

Even with the Fostech binary triggers, bolt bounce can still be an issue and cause hammer follow.  I don't know why I seem to always be the one that has to figure this stuff out, but I had to put a Spikes ST-T2 on my M4 to fix that issue.  I don't know what issues would show up with a 20" rifle, once you start messing around with a carbine buffer tube.

My only update is the MBT:

Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Since I have been down this path, an M4 buffer, tube, and spring probably won't run right on a 20" rifle.  It needs and A5 buffer kit. 
View Quote
Not in my experience. Function has been 100% with rifle gas and carbine buffer/tube/spring on both of my rifles with a variety of ammunition.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#8]
An updated A2?   That's called an A4.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
An updated A2?   That's called an A4.  
View Quote
Then what's an updated A4?

I will answer for you lol:

An M16A4 PIP. I have almost everything I need to clone one, but that's for later. First I have to make my A2 rediculous.

Link Posted: 5/8/2018 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Daniel Defense used to make rifle length Omegas & Piston Omegas, but discontinued now.  Only carbine & mid-length Omegas are left.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#11]
25 yards to 300: Zeroing the AR15 and Basic Rifle Marksmanship

i thought your rifle looked familiar.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtCA8HgAQiA

i thought your rifle looked familiar.
View Quote
That's the rifle. I wish I had time to compete and do vids again. NHRPC was an awesome club and @fargo007 ran a sweet course.

The above A2 never went to comps, but my A4... Plain jane A4 with Sabre defense barrel and a LMT detachable rear was hitting steel at 400 yards in my first foray into competitions. That was the first time I ever shot that far and I had to trust my sights and drum. It was a releif when I heard "HIT"!

I think the fun with irons is the challenge. Hand me an ACOG and I would get bored at the range.

Here is another updated A2:

Another A2... ALG trigger, standard rear sight, FN upper and barrel, not too fancy but she was good to 600 yards.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I know it’s the a2 forum but built an a1 upper pistol that I think is pretty cool. I’ll post up a few pics when I get home. I still need to get a light and mount for it.

Colt a1 upper
10.5 or 11.5” barrel don’t remember
Shockwave brave
CMC trigger
Magpul slimline carbine handguards
A1 flash hider
Titanium takedown pins and a few other ti parts
Magpul or bcm grip
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's the rifle. I wish I had time to compete and do vids again. NHRPC was an awesome club and @fargo007 ran a sweet course.

The above A2 never went to comps, but my A4... Plain jane A4 with Sabre defense barrel and a LMT detachable rear was hitting steel at 400 yards in my first foray into competitions.

I think the fun with irons is the challenge. Hand me an ACOG and I would get bored at the range.

Here is another updated A2:

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Tactical-Derp-A2.jpg

Another A2... Crappy usgi trigger, standard rear sight, FN upper and barrel, not too fancy but she was good to 600 yards.
View Quote
Funny I remember that video also.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#15]
@Knife_Sniper
I've seen a pic of a 20" AR you have. it has a VLTOR A5 stock and a Aero Precision handguard.

That is a perfect iteration of a modern 20" AR.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I know it’s the a2 forum but built an a1 upper pistol that I think is pretty cool. I’ll post up a few pics when I get home. I still need to get a light and mount for it.

Colt a1 upper
10.5 or 11.5” barrel don’t remember
Shockwave brave
CMC trigger
Magpul slimline carbine handguards
A1 flash hider
Titanium takedown pins and a few other ti parts
Magpul or bcm grip
View Quote
A1/A2 whos counting?

I've seen a pic of a 20" AR you have. it has a VLTOR A5 stock and a Aero Precision handguard.

That is a perfect iteration of a modern 20" AR.
View Quote
This one was a neat project but it got supplanted by a Criterion barrel that was then turned into a straight jacket.

Pics incoming:

That the one?

Its funny that the Marines abandoned the A4. I know why the M4 is better for x,y, and z reasons, but to replace the A4 with a HK just blew my mind.

Someone shared photos of the
M16A4 PIP program with me and I was told not to share them... But all the money we would have saved using non-proprietary off the shelf components makes me angry.

It has two versions and 16 and 20 inch barrels were tested as well as suppressors and compensators. Both iterations of the m16A4 PIP utilized a M4 RIS II and had KAC folding sights. Ver 1 had a magpul stock and ver 2 had a Vltor stock. Magpul MIAD was present on both. Both were outfitted with ACOGs. Both had a 2 stage trigger. Maybe KAC or G by the shape of it.

I think the tested PIP rifles would have served the Marines just as well as the HK but that's life.

If anyone wants a clone the m16a4 PIP ver 2 go buy a daniel defense 16 inch RIS II rifle and replace the stock with a FDE vltor imod and the grip with a magpul miad both in FDE. Add KAC sights, add ACOG. Boom. M16A4 PIP clone.

As for my A4, well I like it too. :)
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A1/A2 whos counting?

This one was a neat project but it got supplanted by a Criterion barrel that was then turned into a straight jacket.

Pics incoming:

http://i1.wp.com/www.thenewrifleman.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Aero-Precision-Full-Rifle.jpg?resize=1024%2C768

That the one?

Its funny that the Marines abandoned the A4. I know why the M4 is better for x,y, and z reasons, but to replace the A4 with a HK just blew my mind.

Someone shared photos of the
M16A4 PIP program with me and I was told not to share them... But all the money we would have saved using non-proprietary off the shelf components makes me angry.

It has two versions and 16 and 20 inch barrels were tested as well as suppressors and compensators. Both iterations of the m16A4 PIP utilized a M4 RIS II and had KAC folding sights. Ver 1 had a magpul stock and ver 2 had a Vltor stock. Magpul MIAD was present on both. Both were outfitted with ACOGs. Both had a 2 stage trigger. Maybe KAC or G by the shape of it.

I think the tested PIP rifles would have served the Marines just as well as the HK but that's life.

If anyone wants a clone the m16a4 PIP ver 2 go buy a daniel defense 16 inch RIS II rifle and replace the stock with a FDE vltor imod and the grip with a magpul miad both in FDE. Add KAC sights, add ACOG. Boom. M16A4 PIP clone.

As for my A4, well I like it too. :)
View Quote
If I could only have one AR, it would be similar to that except with an mlok rail.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Since I have been down this path, an M4 buffer, tube, and spring probably won't run right on a 20" rifle.  It needs and A5 buffer kit.  CMMG and VLTOR sell this kit, I have two, and they work.
View Quote
I had a 20" with a carbine stock, spring, etc... Worked great. Very smooth shooter.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#19]
YO!

Thanks for the shout out Knife_Sniper!

Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Here’s my modern a1 pistol slapped in the old school colt 20rd mag for the picture.

Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I've seen plenty of pics of 20" A2's with carbine extension. CD says they use an H6 buffer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here’s my modern a1 pistol slapped in the old school colt 20rd mag for the picture.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL351/7575719/24318977/413882516.jpg
http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL351/7575719/24318977/413882517.jpg
View Quote
Holy fuck man.  That’s so bad it’s good.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:39:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I have one im building right now. If i can get my new vice stand finished thursday, and the barrel installed, ill post it up.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Disclaimer: this has since been recycled into a scoped flat top, and the A2 upper is going back to an M16 clone.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:12:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've seen plenty of pics of 20" A2's with carbine extension. CD says they use an H6 buffer.
View Quote
1st Armor Div guns, JJ is correct that they use the H6 buffer.

CD
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Not quite A2, but certainly fits the spirit of the OP. My contemporary A1 SBR... 11.5” 5.56mm and its 10.5” matching .300BLK upper. One of them actually used to be an A2, but I just like A1s better. It’s got one of those light weight BCGs to aid in tuning the binary trigger.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#27]
HOT!
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I couldnt warm up to a collapsable on my A2. Clone appropriate but I just couldn't do eeet.

JJREA the Kerm Lock is detachable and doesnt modify the handguards whatsoever. Really neat system.

QUAD RAIL HANDGUARDS THAT FIT 20 INCH A2:

Larue 12.0 - great handguard but a bit heavy by todays standards. 16.8 oz.

G Mk7 - great modern handguard system, but really made for High Power. Weighs more than the Larue.

BCM 12 inch QRF - based on the super lightweight BCM KMR and weighs 14.1 oz with hardware.

Centurion C4 12 inch weighs in at 15.3 with standard barrel nut.

So going with the QRF seems the most appropriate. Lighter weight should make my A2 feel even handier.
View Quote
Out of curiosity, do you know how much it weighs???  Would be a good way to do it.

Here's my HD carbine now.  Except I rotate the stocks almost daily.  LOL.  It has a waffle on it right now.....

Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Knife_Sniper you running gov’t profile WW Rifle length barrel on your A2 sword?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Sure is. WW is the A2 go to around here.

If anyone has any concers about them on a A4, i have a colt HBAR NON F marked FSB on another rifle and with a magpul fixed buis it zeroed fine. No extended front sight needed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If anyone has any concers about them on a A4, i have a colt HBAR NON F marked FSB on another rifle and with a magpul fixed buis it zeroed fine. No extended front sight needed.
View Quote
I’ve built a 20” flat top upper with non-F maked FSB;  and I can’t see a difference opposed to my A4 upper with F-marked FSB.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Knife_Sniper you running the WW A2 or HBAR M4 for Service Rifle Matches?
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Knife_Sniper you running the WW A2 or HBAR M4 for Service Rifle Matches?
View Quote
Neither at the moment.

I am building a service rifle legal Colt HBAR.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Up to date for about 1993. Didn’t want to run quad rails because I preferred a slimmer hand guard.  Couldn’t find the need to run a free float MLOK.  May change up the flash light mount.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, do you know how much it weighs???  Would be a good way to do it.

Here's my HD carbine now.  Except I rotate the stocks almost daily.  LOL.  It has a waffle on it right now.....

https://i.imgur.com/UpKbzvq.jpg
View Quote
JJREA The kerm lock light mount weighs 2 oz all by itself.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Ounce lighter than the MI FSB rail attachment.  Not bad.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Dropped in a MBT today and wow.

Its like stepping on the gas of a F1 racer compared to the stock trigger.

I was able to string 5-10 rounds together like a sewing machine on crack.

Very satisfied!

The updates will continue.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#38]
mine (which is actually an A4 clone) and set up close enough for me.

DD Omega instead of KAC RAS (I like free floated)
Tango Down rear stock QD
Hogue pistol grip
ACOG TA-31 RCO A4
Trijicon Bobro mount
Bobro vertical forward grip
MaTech BUIS

Bushmaster lower and upper with a Bushmaster 20" 1/7 govt. profile barrel
Colt BGC
Geissele SSA-E Trigger
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:14:36 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm down with this, I've got a spare a2 upper I've been trying to find a use for.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#40]
If your one of those rare people who actually like A2 handguards and want a light, these are very sturdy.

Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Awesome builds and gear ideas gents.

The next phase of my build will be here shortly.

I needed some titanium to ensure the weight was just as light as the stock system it is replacing.

But at the same time it has to look... Authentic to the A2 experience.

Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Welp...

I purchased a BCM QRF rail and it didnt quite fit the A2. The anti rotation tabs were too narrow to fit the A2 so I nixed that idea.

Still looking to upgrade the A2 further, just dont know what direction.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Welp...

I purchased a BCM QRF rail and it didnt quite fit the A2. The anti rotation tabs were too narrow to fit the A2 so I nixed that idea.

Still looking to upgrade the A2 further, just dont know what direction.
View Quote
Do you think the QRF rail can be modified to work?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 4:37:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Great thread and some awesome build ideas.  I have a classic A2 FN clone with the BCP A2 SAFE SEMI BURST lower, FN upper and BCG, WW 20" barrel assembly, standard stock. The only nod to "modernization" is the ALG ACT FCG.  Its one of my sweetest iron sight rifles.  Smooth shooter and very accurate.  Old school is good too!

Keep up the great work!

This is the #001 first A2 clone lower produced by Black Creek Precision.  They are great quality and "available" but are now produced "as ordered" so typically 6-8 weeks.
The fire select is covering BURST.

Link Posted: 8/13/2018 4:53:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Do you think the QRF rail can be modified to work?
View Quote
Yea the anti rotation plate can be bent wider to work, it seems as it is just a steel plate. Or you could notch both sides of the upper slightly to match the width of the M4 upper (right below the picatinny rail whatever width that is)

It could work, but I wasnt satisfied with bending the plate.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Awesome!

So my new plan is to keep the plastic handguards and switch out the steel barrel nut with a titanium barrel nut.

Then a magpul modern rifleman sling to complete the build.

An Acog would be nice too but those dont fall out of trees.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#48]
A2s with rails just dont do anything for me..... Just my opinion...
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:19:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:  A2s with rails just dont do anything for me..... Just my opinion...
View Quote
The Army went to far as to get a kit to convert the fixed stock to a collapsible one, add rails, and a rail mounted Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Lots of awesome retro builds, but does anyone have a practical A2 circa 2018?

While this concept is certainly limited by what the A2 is, it's still fun as hell to update an A2 with quality components.

Here is my submission which some of you have seen before:

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Dirty-A2-with-Ears.jpg

The A2 in the above photo has a Kac M5 RAS. The rifle has a 1/2x1/2 NM rear with a blackhawk same plane aperture. The KAC Ras is a bit too heavy and made the A2 a little less practical than plastic handguards IMHO.

The NM sights are a nice combo for the A2. Get you a NM rear and same plane while you can, even if its just for the parts bin. It needs 1/2 minute windage to accept USGI style apertures. These might go the way of the dodo in the future.

I have a griffen compensator up front, a spikes trigger, and a cheapy sling.

A1 buttstock in place from Cav. Holds spare bolt, firing pin, cam, all bolt small parts, oil tube, front sight adjustment tool, and FSB top sling adapter.

This A2 is one of my favorite rifles.

Since then I have ditched the RAS, then tried a Magpul handguard set ( a little heavier than need be ), and cav mfg handguards ( just right) and a Kerm Lock light mount.

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Kerm-Lock-Rail-M-Lok-Alternative-34.jpg

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Kerm-Lock-Rail-M-Lok-Alternative-35.jpg

I have added and removed an Acog. Didnt like the chinweild and the reticle was not my favorite.

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/ta47R-carry-Handle.jpg

So I am planning on another full round of A2 updates.

I have my sights on a modern Quad rail. In this case a BCM 12 inch QRF which will weigh less than the stock handguard and barrel nut / delta setup. From here, a light and maybe a IR laser at some point.

Also have a Larue trigger on the way.

When I get all that installed, i will update with pics.

Also installed a XS tritium front. Have not sighted in yet.

Rifle is a smooth shooter ( as most A2s are) and the comp only makes it that much smoother. I launch 75 grain pills from it and once I FF it, i will sight it in for 55 XM193 and my pet load by painting the zero on the W/E drum.

I have toyed with the idea of a binary trigger, but i fear the A2 stock and buffer might not be able to keep up with my finger.

Its the funnest rifle I have to shoot. By far. With 75 grain pills and a 20 inch tube... It also hits pretty hard.
View Quote
@Knife_Sniper Does the C1 style Buttstock feel cheap to you as opposed the the "old school" A1 stock or does it pass the durabiity/quality test? Building an A2 upper and looking for A1 style stock and the C1 looks to fit the bill without breaking the bank. I have a helluva time getting settled into my sites shooting offhand with the A2 stock and I have monkey arms to boot. Love the A2 for prone shooting, kneeling and even quick action drills. It is just awkward in offhand is all.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top