Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2018 8:48:15 AM EDT
I find that jet spray gummout works great to clean the BCG. Its metal after all, EXCEPT of course for the rubber O Ring and rubber Boot under the extractor. I simply remove the extractor and set it aside to keep the Spray off the rubber parts. Cleans the Bolt and Bolt Carrier great. I like how it blasts the carrier key clean as well.

I have never seen any commnets about using Gummout. What am I missing lol?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
No chlorine generic.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 12:52:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I use Wal-Mart carb and injector spray.  $2 a can.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:16:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yers sir i think it works great, basically the same stuff!
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:27:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Birchwood-Casey Gun Scrubber. I get mine from Wal-Mart or Academy Sports.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here.  Gets all the loose oil/crud off/out of the crevices.  I let it dry, disassemble and wipe it down and then lube the parts and put it back together.  I use the carb (sometimes brake cleaner) to blow the crud out of the barrel locking lug area, too.  Or if the lower is really nasty I'll hold it stock up and spray out the interior and then re-lube.

Works great.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#7]
MPro-7 works fine and can be used indoors.  BCG isn't that difficult to clean.

I only resort to the brake cleaner for complicated guns, like many rimfire autoloaders and revolvers, that get funky and I can't disassemble for cleaning.  I hose them down outside the house with brake cleaner, blow them dry, and then reapply light oil. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here. Then put on thin layer of CLP...
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I use non chlorinated brake cleaner....one dry I apply moly based wheel bearing grease.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I usually use oil and a toothbrush.
Isopropyl alcohol to rinse.
Then re-oil

If if get the itch to clean the bolt. I soak it in Motorcaft carburetor cleaner, the liquid in a can, not the aerosol.
The remaining carbon, if there is any, comes off with a paper towel
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 5:08:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I find that jet spray gummout works great to clean the BCG. Its metal after all, EXCEPT of course for the rubber O Ring and rubber Boot under the extractor. I simply remove the extractor and set it aside to keep the Spray off the rubber parts. Cleans the Bolt and Bolt Carrier great. I like how it blasts the carrier key clean as well.

I have never seen any commnets about using Gummout. What am I missing lol?
View Quote
I use Gumout all the time. I've never had any problem with it effecting any extractor O ring or silicone D ring.

If you go with any generic store brand carb spray,  just make sure it says NON CHLORINATED on the can, otherwise it will cause problems with plastics and paints.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I also use it to blow out the upper receiver and gas tube.

I will use it on the lower, but I hold it by the stock with the receiver "down" and spray so the stuff doesn't run back into/onto the buffer tube and stock.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top