Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2018 10:14:45 PM EDT
Just wondering. Always wanted one, only recently got a job where I could afford one. Always liked the reticle and they seemed to not blur for me when 'mirin at the gunstore. Heard they had some issues, weren't upfront about it, and people pulled the same "never going to buy from them again" stuff that they did to Ruger. Never heard anything after that, haven't been paying attention. How are they doing now? Still worth looking into?
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Eotech never fixed them, took some of the old lots and sold them to overseas customers.

Hasn't stopped many people from using and issuing them.  Guess those people don't shoot well enough to tell the difference.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:07:35 AM EDT
[#2]
For the type of shooting 99.5% of the civilians who buy them do, it doesn't make a difference.  The problem was the POI would shift greatly depending on the temperature.  Unless you are planning on zeroing it at the range during a blizzard, and then using it for combat when it's 120 degree outside, you will never know a difference.

I owned a 552 in the past, but I switched over to an Aimpoint T1 years ago...I like the single dot better.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 2:55:32 AM EDT
[#3]
As quietm4 said that vast majority of people would not have the zero'ing issue that was reported. They did have another issue before that with some models failing due to battery compartment issues but I think that's been long fixed.

Like quietm4 I switched to aimpoints. Years ago when I was starting out with ar's I bought an aimpoint and an eotech and put them on two different rifles, in the end I preferred the aimpoint. The trijicon mro is another good option(I prefer the aimpoints dot over it but I don't think its worth the cost difference, both are good).

If you want the eotech go nuts, chances are you will be happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 2:59:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Never had a problem with my Eotechs, sent them back when they were giving the rebates. I’ve bought 2 of the new models this year, I much prefer them over the Aimpoint’s and MRO’S YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:07:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 5 of them with no problems at all. One on my main gun was zeroed at 30 degrees and have had no zero issues shooting in 90+ weather.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Garand Thumb says all the time in his videos they have fixed the issue. I'm still using a exps 2-0 from 2012 and it holds zero and doesn't eat batteries when turned off. I will keep shooting with it till it dies or forever. Will buy a new model FDE exps 3-0.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I still find it odd nobody noticed an issue for over a decade...  I would like to see someone test one of these over a fully bedded bull barrel bolt gun in changing temps to see what the real scoop is.

Most guns and optics will change POI under extreme temp changes and/or barrel is hot vs. cold.

Personally I always thought it was an optic best suited to sub guns and pistol caliber carbines, distances where keeping all rounds inside the big ring usually meant incapacitating your target.  At those distances the MOA shift is not a factor.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#9]
From what I have read, the issues aren't something they can really fix completely.  There will always be some shift in POI.  In fact, their competitors have the same issues: they just weren't sued by the US Government over it.  There are still issues with the seals deteriorating over time, too.  Finally, the fact that they use a laser, and softkeys instead of a mechanical switch to turn them on and off, means that they will have relatively short battery-lives.  The laser draws more than an LED, and it always draws a small amount of current in order to sense button-presses to turn on.

I have one on my patrol rifle.  I've shot it below freezing, and in 95-degree weather within the past year.  The thermal-drift wasn't significant enough to require adjusting.  I was off maybe .5 MOA from my winter requal to my summer requal.

I have another on a personal rifle that I use for matches (most matches in my area are within 100 yards).  I have had to send it back for repair due to delamination.  The good news is that it was 7 or 8 years old when I sent it back, and the repair was free.  I do have to replace the battery a couple of times per year, though.  These two things are bothersome.

I actually think I shoot faster with a single dot, but more accurately with the EOTech.  That is another matter altogether.  The fact is that the sights are certainly usable, and the drift issue is overblown, in my experience.  I do shoot well enough to tell, btw.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Never had a problem with mine.  My astigmatism was pretty bad, but EOTechs seemed to "bloom" less than the tube-style red dots.

I was getting ready to sell mine for a 1-4x when EOTech announced the buy-back, so I took advantage of their offer.  I would have no problem owning another EOTech in the future if I had a rifle that needed a Red Dot as the primary sight.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I still find it odd nobody noticed an issue for over a decade...  I would like to see someone test one of these over a fully bedded bull barrel bolt gun in changing temps to see what the real scoop is.

Most guns and optics will change POI under extreme temp changes and/or barrel is hot vs. cold.

Personally I always thought it was an optic best suited to sub guns and pistol caliber carbines, distances where keeping all rounds inside the big ring usually meant incapacitating your target.  At those distances the MOA shift is not a factor.
View Quote
That's how I feel. Personally it's a non issue.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#12]
i have a few of them, to include an eotech 400 around here somewhere

they all work fine

the only problem I had with any of them was spring compression reducing contact with installed batteries

eta: new contacts and improved design have corrected that issue
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had several of them over the years as well as several Aimpoints. I also have astigmatism and could only use AP's by looking through a peep sight. Sure up close it didn't matter but at 50 yards I never knew which comet to aim with, it was bad. Not a knock on Aimpoint, just my eyes.

I had an XPS2 right after they came out that blinked off so it went back. I read all the hoopla about the lawsuit and problems and most importantly, that they fixed the issues. I've had a new EXPS2-0 about 18 months now and have shot it in 20 degree weather to 100 degrees and it has stayed zeroed from day one. Also on the original battery. I like em and would buy another one.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Eotech never fixed them
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Eotech never fixed them
Since this topic comes about every couple months or so, one would think it would be safe to assume that all the false information and emotional dribble would be snuffed out by now, guess I assumed wrong. Here we go:

EO pulled engineers from across L3 to fix the issues units had in the past. This includes a complete retooling for all holo optics in their lineup, even though very few units were reported to actually be faulty. In fact, after the whole thermal shift "controversy" independent test proved that ALL laser/LED diode optics had some form of thermal shift and EO was one of the designs that shifted the least.

Hasn't stopped many people from using and issuing them.

Because it was never a real issue, except for on the internet, and in basements.

Guess those people don't shoot well enough to tell the difference.
Or perhaps some of those people are trained professionals who know the basic implication of re-zeroing optics after transitioning to one climate to another, where there is an extreme occurrence in temperature change.

@pops1085 Yes, they are still worth looking into and are still used all around the world by people who's lives and others depend on them.

Consumers who have used the EOtech voluntary warranty/refund have admitted that they never had issues with the optic but just wanted the cash EOtech was handing out. On the contrary, L3 stated that the were not even financially effected and if I remember correctly EO's sales weren't either.

I've spoken with multiple Rangers and a MARSOC Major about this vary topic and they either knew vary vaguely about the issue or simply didn't care because they'd had experienced no issues first hand or second with Eotech optics. Units manufactured in 2017 and after have been refined and I'm sure you would enjoy owning one. At the end of the day it's a battle proven optic that has had it's issues here and there like every other optic.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For the type of shooting 99.5% of the civilians who buy them do, it doesn't make a difference.  The problem was the POI would shift greatly depending on the temperature.  Unless you are planning on zeroing it at the range during a blizzard, and then using it for combat when it's 120 degree outside, you will never know a difference.

I owned a 552 in the past, but I switched over to an Aimpoint T1 years ago...I like the single dot better.
View Quote
Well, remember the issue was discovered and replicated by the FBI in Virginia. Not exactly an environment known for wild temperature extremes.

I think it was just yet another black mark against EOTech along with all the other little issues over the years. The real sin was that they knew about the issue and attempted to hide it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:43:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Just know that certain Tier 1 units NEVER stopped using EOTech despite what many said here. Take that for what it's worth.

I sent one of my older units in and was told it was fixed and updated, it had delamination. It's been running strong for 2 years now and I just recently bought another. Still the most usable red dot out there IMO.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:39:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Eotech never fixed them, took some of the old lots and sold them to overseas customers.

Hasn't stopped many people from using and issuing them.  Guess those people don't shoot well enough to tell the difference.
View Quote
That's some mighty bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

Care to test your theory out in front of my EXPS 2-0?    
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Thermal shift aside, there have been many other problems (fixed yet?), such as battery drain when off, delaminating HUD's, loss of nitrogen purge, wandering zeros, parts literally coming loose inside the optic, etc.
I used to love Eotechs until I personally experienced the battery drain on two units. Add the slow-to-use push buttons and relatively poor battery life and Eotech is no longer an option for me (YMMV).

Tomac
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 6:53:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
How good do I have to shoot to notice a difference?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I still have 2 of them.  I much prefer my 2 MOA Aimpoints, but the 2 that I have are fine.  One is on my "clone", and I have had no reason to change it, and my guests like shooting the big reticle.

I have the rarer 1 MOA XPS2-1 on one of my little SBRs, and it is probably my favorite Eotech.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Bought one on Black Friday for $200 at cabelas. Too good a deal to pass up. Only put about 500 rounds through it, so far it's been great. I very much prefer it to single red dot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
Got something real to back that claim up?

I have a 512 still with no problems. Had a EXPS I had to send back for delamanting.  I have 3 others that have been problem free. No battery issues as they get replaced 1st week of summer & 1st week of winter.
I have 2 AP's as well. Other then a yearly battery change (July 4th) those are good too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bought one on Black Friday for $200 at cabelas. Too good a deal to pass up. Only put about 500 rounds through it, so far it's been great. I very much prefer it to single red dot.
View Quote
Damn, I'd buy 10 of them at that price.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Got something real to back that claim up?

I have a 512 still with no problems. Had a EXPS I had to send back for delamanting. I have 3 others that have been problem free. No battery issues as they get replaced 1st week of summer & 1st week of winter.
I have 2 AP's as well. Other then a yearly battery change (July 4th) those are good too.
View Quote
I've had a couple older XPS and EXPS, both had delamination. They were from 2014. I didn't even notice it until I read somewhere about delamination and what it looked at. It was not that bad, only on the corners and sides. I sent them back and got them fixed for the price of shipping. I don't see a problem with batteries, I replace them regularly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I sent my EXPS3 in for the rebate and got a T2. I love that I can turn the Aimpoint on, zero it and then just replace the battery every 5 years, but I miss the Eotech's reticle (astigmatism). I'll probably get another EXPS3 soon for one of the shorty uppers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#27]
EOTech rock, fastest reticle, super durable, great field of view and least paralax of any red dot.

But the battery life sucks so I switched over to MROs, now I turn them on and forget about them, until new years day.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#28]
We had two old EOs (512 and EXPS 3-0) that had issues but got a new revision EO EXPS 3-2 that's great. No issues whatsoever. I love the NV button that toggles between day and night modes with the press of a button. The Aimpoint Micro's housing takes up a lot of the sight picture and the blue tint bothers me. Plus the H/T-1's have that issue under magnification/NODS where the dot becomes a slash. The FOV on the EO is great and so is the light transmission, which is awesome for shooting with NODS with and without the USGI 3x magnifier.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I have an old 552 from around when they first were introduced. I use it on my 6.8 to hunt deer in the winter. I have killed several deer with it, and will likely continue to do so. I also practice shooting with it on ranges, farms, or wherever I can shoot.

Neither I, or the deer, have ever noticed "thermal drift".

I hunt in weather that is >30F, and practice shooting in weather that is <100F.

I am an experienced shooter trained at USMC range 117 in Camp Pendleton. I also have an Associates of Occupational Studies in Gunsmithing. So, no, I am not a FUDD.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Took a 40 hour instructor course this week, about 600 rounds fired on my rifle that wore an eotech....the remainder fired on another rifle with an optic that didn't go down....

My new production (2018) EXPS 3.0 that was properly tightened has a reticle that likes to wander 2" left and 1" low, confirmed twice.  Shot itself out of adjustment within 100 rounds.

Windage adjustment has no clicks.  Feels like they're falling into a shallow detent.

Its going back.

Another attendee had a progressively dimming reticle, old logo pre-2017 EXPS 2.0- got bad to the point that in direct sun, he stated he couldn't see his reticle.  Again, this was old production, not new like mine.

Take that for what you will.  My other new production EXPS 3.0 is doing fine, but I will be keeping an eye on it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#31]
My 2016 model 558 is still going strong despite being on a .308 carbine and going though massive temperature shifts and a couple bad drops. I don’t know about the CR123 models as I hate CR123s to death, but my AA model with a pair of Eneloops had a over year of regular range use and general dicking around use and hadn’t yet drained when I just decided to charge the batteries one day anyway to top them off. I never take the batteries out.

Zero has held in 90 degrees well enough to make forehead shots all day with 168gr FGMM on steel off a bipod despite being zeroed at 35 degrees in a previous season.

When people say they’re fixed, I believe it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
EOTech rock, fastest reticle, super durable, great field of view and least paralax of any red dot.

But the battery life sucks so I switched over to MROs, now I turn them on and forget about them, until new years day.
View Quote
Same here.  My 512 ate batteries like candy so sent it back and got a PRO.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:04:21 AM EDT
[#33]
I have heard the thermal drift is a non issue on the newer ones and the exps models have some of the lowest parallax on the market right now.

I had a 552 years ago and never had a problem. I recently ordered a EXPS 3 and a G33 magnifier. I also own and love Aimpoints.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Yeah the XPS and EXPS models are good to go.

However if you want to see something different look at the Vortex UH-1. I got one and compared it side by side with the XPS. Feels built better and has I believe a better reticle. When zeroed at 50 the triangle at the bottom works very well close it. So well I call it the Triangle of Death.

I sold the XPS but that was only because I sold the build carbine had it on. Would probably still have it.

Between the two the XPS has an advantage in size and weight and would fit better on SBR pistol AR's and Pistol Caliber Carbines. The UH1 fits good on 20" Rifles and true 16" Mid-length Carbines. Put a 3X or the new 6X1 Aimpoint behind it and you would have a good General Purpose Rifle or Carbine.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top