BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/23/2018 4:13:23 PM EDT
Has anyone gotten any updates on when Brownell’s expects to have more 20” 1:12 barrels.  I posted in their industry section but they haven’t been very active there lately.  Its the last part I need to finish my A1.  I’m tempted to just get a green mountain barrel and sent it to Retro Arms Works to have the FSB installed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Still waiting on my 1/7 retro.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Uggh!  I meant to post this in the retro forum.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 12:22:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I have no idea about Brownells, but everything retro seems to be getting bought up.  Does anyone know about ar15sport barrels?  Their website says you cannot purchase / put items in the shopping cart that are not in stock, but there is a retro profile barrel I am not seeing at all on their site right now.  Does anyone know if they remove products from their site when they are out of stock and put them back on when they are back in stock?

Quoted:
Has anyone gotten any updates on when Brownell’s expects to have more 20” 1:12 barrels.  I posted in their industry section but they haven’t been very active there lately.  Its the last part I need to finish my A1.  I’m tempted to just get a green mountain barrel and sent it to Retro Arms Works to have the FSB installed.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Also still waiting on a 1/7 A1 barrel.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Last I heard was mid may for the 1/12.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Last I heard was mid may for the 1/12.
View Quote
I was thinking that Brownell’s had initially told me mid May but couldn’t remember.  When I called earlier this week I was told the most current ETA was mid April.  They did receive a shipment in April but those barrels had the problem with the muzzle threads.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have no idea about Brownells, but everything retro seems to be getting bought up.  Does anyone know about ar15sport barrels?  Their website says you cannot purchase / put items in the shopping cart that are not in stock, but there is a retro profile barrel I am not seeing at all on their site right now.  Does anyone know if they remove products from their site when they are out of stock and put them back on when they are back in stock?
View Quote
I was able to find the AR15 sport barrels on the website, but they are listed as backordered.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was able to find the AR15 sport barrels on the website, but they are listed as backordered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was quoted a few weeks ago for middle-end of June for the 1:12 barrels and that the 1:9 are discontinued
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also still waiting on a 1/7 A1 barrel.
View Quote
Same here..
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a shipping notice last Thursday for my replacement 20” 1:12 barrel.  They are still showing out of stock on the website, but if anyone has been waiting on them I’d start paying attention.  Brownell’s has said these barrels will have the correct muzzle threads.  Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  I’ll post an update here when it arrives.  Fingers crossed that they got everything right this time.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Backordered a 1/7 this morning.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#14]
@brownells
I Received the 3rd replacement barrel today.  Surprise!  It was wrong!  Same issue with the muzzle threads.  Brownell’s, please let me know who I can speak to about this.  I spoke with 2 different people on the phone today, one of them a supervisor, and after all this no one even knows what I’m talking about.  This one will go back tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Backordered a 1/7 this morning.
View Quote
Hey JB. Welcome to the dark side.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@brownells
I Received the 3rd replacement barrel today.  Surprise!  It was wrong!  Same issue with the muzzle threads.  Brownell’s, please let me know who I can speak to about this.  I spoke with 2 different people on the phone today, one of them a supervisor, and after all this no one even knows what I’m talking about.  This one will go back tomorrow.
View Quote
WT actual F?
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Our manufacturer has had delays in receiving raw material.  This should largely be addressed and barrels should be arriving in June.
View Quote
I was told today it will now be mid to late July.

I'm waiting on a 1/7 A2 barrel.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Are there any other suppliers of retro 1/7 A1 barrels? I’ve been waiting for two of them since February 7. Now I’m hearing that Brownells might not ship until July?
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just got a new batch.  This is how the 20" A1 1-12 barrels look.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126709/IMG_4099_JPG-568461.jpg
View Quote
Awesome!  I think it was you I spoke with on the phone earlier today.  So glad to see this finally worked out.  I hope that’s mine in the pic!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Does this mean the A2 barrels are in stock now and until July, as I was told a few days ago?
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We requested a revised delivery date from the mfg this morning.  Will post here once we have a clearer picture.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does this mean the A2 barrels are in stock now or not until July, as I was told a few days ago?
We requested a revised delivery date from the mfg this morning.  Will post here once we have a clearer picture.
Awesome, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just got a new batch.  This is how the 20" A1 1-12 barrels look.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126709/IMG_4099_JPG-568461.jpg
View Quote
Are the 1/7 A1 barrels going to be shipping soon as well?
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I  have not had a problem with the old Brownells barrel. I hold the lock washer as I tighten the FH and it centers just fine.  The issue with the old barrels is being overplayed.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I  have not had a problem with the old Brownells barrel. I hold the lock washer as I tighten the FH and it centers just fine.  The issue with the old barrels is being overplayed.
View Quote
Maybe, but they weren’t correct.  Customers gave feedback and Brownell’s listened.  That’s exactely how things should work.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Replacement barrel arrived today.  Looks great!  Threading is correct with no relief cut.  Thanks Brownell’s!  I should also note that although it has been a bit difficult communicating this problem with Brownell’s, they did come through in the end and even gave me a $100 gift card for the trouble.  While their customer service could have been a bit smoother, they eventually worked everything out and that’s what makes excellent customer service.  No doubt they lost money on my order but they never gave me any trouble returning any of the barrels.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Replacement barrel arrived today.  Looks great!  Threading is correct with no relief cut.  Thanks Brownell’s!  I should also note that although it has been a bit difficult communicating this problem with Brownell’s, they did come through in the end and even gave me a $100 gift card for the trouble.  While their customer service could have been a bit smoother, they eventually worked everything out and that’s what makes excellent customer service.  No doubt they lost money on my order but they never gave me any trouble returning any of the barrels.
View Quote
Good to hear... hopefully they sent the remainder of the screwed up barrels back to the manufacturer. Okay Brownells, let's get those A2 barrels in and start shipping them out!

Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Brownells, now that you're getting 20" barrels again will your 20" Retro ARs soon be coming back in stock? Over the last two months only the 12.5" XM177E2 Carbine has been in stock. I was lucky and got your BRN-601 while in stock but a buddy is dying to get one!

No doubt my BRN-601 has the threading issue but my washer is centered well and as long as the duckbill is tight I guess all is well.

Any word when more authentic selectors, magazine catch and pins will be available for sale?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We are waiting on a new batch of forgings from Anchor Harvey and revising how we do anodizing.  Basically the gray was not consistent, so you'll see some "blem" receivers post on the site soon.  The only problem with them is the colors are off between receivers, otherwise totally fine.  The goal is a more uniform gray, that everyone here expects.  BRN-16A1 rifles will be the first back in stock, probably a month.  601 & E1 rifles probably 2 months out.

"No tick" selectors will be available soon and will start to be standard on rifles once they arrive.  Still working on other components, but they're in the queue.  We have a lot of retro items to tackle.
View Quote
I like the gray color of my Anchor Harvey upper receiver, so I got lucky. it's actually a bit lighter than my BRN-601 lower but I've seen pictures and videos of Brownells 601s where the upper is darker than the lower. It sounds like the color of the lowers is consistent so there is wide variation in the uppers. It would have been nice if my lower was the same gray as my upper but it's close enough and I like its low serial number. Anyway there was plenty of variation in the original ArmaLite/Colts.

I'll watch for the new selectors, I want to upgrade the one I have. It's really lame on both sides!
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#32]
They must be having the 1/7 A1 barrels forged in the fires of Mount Doom. I just spoke to Brownells this morning and the delivery estimate has now been pushed back to mid/late August. I’ve had two on back order since February. It’s the only thing holding up my two retro builds.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They must be having the 1/7 A1 barrels forged in the fires of Mount Doom. I just spoke to Brownells this morning and the delivery estimate has now been pushed back to mid/late August. I’ve had two on back order since February. It’s the only thing holding up my two retro builds.
View Quote
Lol..must be the same for the A2 barrels as well.

Maybe Gollum can help.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fuck. I’ve got a rifle minus the barrel assembly sitting on my bench with the barrel on backorder. Who else has a good A1 barrel seemly?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Apparently Brownells is the only game in town. Their supplier must have one guy hammering out barrels on an anvil in his mom’s basement.........one at a time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Fuck. I’ve got a rifle minus the barrel assembly sitting on my bench with the barrel on backorder. Who else has a good A1 barrel seemly?
View Quote
They are not the only game in town... Green Mountain has A1 barrels and I prefer them over the Brownells any day.  The only issue is they don't come with a FSB attached so those that can't do them themselves will have to send it to someone like John Thomas for an extra $60 or so but the barrels are really nice and worth it.  I would recommend a place called TNTE which has them already pre-installed but have recently heard some very negative reviews of the place so can't recommend them although it is an option.  The one other plus with the Green Mountain A1 barrels is they are the proper grey colored parkerizing instead of the blacker color of the Brownells.

Both are really great barrels overall but Green Mountain is my pick, and they are always in stock with the proper profile, twist, color, threads.  And a great company as well.  They also tend to have 20-30% off sales at least once or twice a year usually during Black Friday, Memorial Day, etc.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 6:45:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Unless I overlooked it, I only saw the A1 barrels on Green Mountain’s site in a 1/14 and 1/12 twist. I had a friend that did not have a positive experience with TNTE. I’m going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that Brownells gets these barrels in.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Hello Brownells,

I’m going to post this here since you are most likely more knowledgeable about barrels than a CSR answering the phone.

I just installed my Brownells 20” 1-12 A1 barrel on my Brownells A1 upper. I removed another 20” barrel to install this new Brownells retro barrel.  The upper was previously zeroed with the sights reasonably centered. I purchased this new barrel on June 7, 2018. The order number was 15927531.00

I mechanically centered the rear sight, and put the front sight post base flush with the top of the sight well prior to beginning the process of zeroing the rifle with the new Brownells barrel.  With the new Brownells retro barrel I had to move the rear sight almost completely to the left to get the rifle zeroed at 25 meters.  The front sight post is surprisingly an A2 sight post, not an A1, and I had to turn it clockwise to where the sight post is almost bottomed out in the front sight post well.

I know that 6-8 clicks of adjustment on windage and elevation is normal, but I am not happy with the extreme amount of adjustments (~15) needed to zero with this barrel.  I would like a replacement barrel.

Can you help?
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hello Brownells,

I’m going to post this here since you are most likely more knowledgeable about barrels than a CSR answering the phone.

I just installed my Brownells 20” 1-12 A1 barrel on my Brownells A1 upper. I removed another 20” barrel to install this new Brownells retro barrel.  The upper was previously zeroed with the sights reasonably centered. I purchased this new barrel on June 7, 2018. The order number was 15927531.00

I mechanically centered the rear sight, and put the front sight post base flush with the top of the sight well prior to beginning the process of zeroing the rifle with the new Brownells barrel.  With the new Brownells retro barrel I had to move the rear sight almost completely to the left to get the rifle zeroed at 25 meters.  The front sight post is surprisingly an A2 sight post, not an A1, and I had to turn it clockwise to where the sight post is almost bottomed out in the front sight post well.

I know that 6-8 clicks of adjustment on windage and elevation is normal, but I am not happy with the extreme amount of adjustments (~15) needed to zero with this barrel.  I would like a replacement barrel.

Can you help?
View Quote
All of the retro barrels come with standard A2 front sight posts. The fact that you almost had to bottom it out is pretty odd though.

It's possible depending the barreling method used (upper receiver vise blocks or Reaction Rod/BEV Block/barrel blocks) to end up with canted sights either to the extreme left or right. It's also possible that the FSB was drilled and pinned canted, though this is much more unlikely because it is usually done in an alignment jig.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Brownells has a no questions asked warranty, if your not happy for what ever reason they will take it back.  They will even let you print out a prepaid return label from the web site when your request the return.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#41]
duplicate post.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
@va_gunz

Patience, young grasshopper.  It's only two months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbNCBVzPYak

If you absolutely can't wait I may have two stripped 1:7 barrels purchased from McKay Enterprises a couple years ago sitting around.....I could possibly be persuaded to part with one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npv-g431Qis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XqyGoE2Q4Y

ETA;

J&T Dist. 1:7 LW barrel

.625 triangular cap

.625 triangular cap

.625 triangular cap

.625 FSB

.625 FSB

.625 FSB
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Piggybacking since I'm curious about these. What is the lowest price the 1:7 20" barrel assembly have been, baring any special cases like blems?
I'm looking to build a bit of a hodge podge, and one of those barrels looks like a good base for it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 4:16:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Unless I overlooked it, I only saw the A1 barrels on Green Mountain’s site in a 1/14 and 1/12 twist. I had a friend that did not have a positive experience with TNTE. I’m going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that Brownells gets these barrels in.
View Quote
You are correct, I mis-read the 1-7 part.  That said, Rick from Green Mountain mentioned he may do a run of 1-7 barrels sometime down the road which I am sure is at least a few months if he does some.  Probably not helpful in this situation but worth considering for the future.  Would be awesome if he stocks them permanently.

And to the last poster asking about cheapest A1 barrel, you are probably best off going with one of the ones on JSE's website I believe they have a few different options with the FSB already attached but don't know much about them.  I think they are only Nitrated or Stainless without looking them up but you could repark or paint over the nitrated surface.  Another great option is to wait for Green Mountain to have their 20-30% off sale at the end of the year for Black Friday/ Christmas time and get one of their A1's for about $125 or so.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 4:46:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
The entire metal(steel/aluminum) industry is swamped. Hardly every field is hurting for raw materials, and this hurts manufacturers, then distributors, then customers.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

All of the retro barrels come with standard A2 front sight posts. The fact that you almost had to bottom it out is pretty odd though.

It's possible depending the barreling method used (upper receiver vise blocks or Reaction Rod/BEV Block/barrel blocks) to end up with canted sights either to the extreme left or right. It's also possible that the FSB was drilled and pinned canted, though this is much more unlikely because it is usually done in an alignment jig.
View Quote
I used vise blocks during the install.  I think I'm going to remove the Brownells A1 barrel and re-install the other barrel and see if the zero goes back to reasonably centered.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I used vise blocks during the install.  I think I'm going to remove the Brownells A1 barrel and re-install the other barrel and see if the zero goes back to reasonably centered.
View Quote
Be sure to check very close for any deformation of the indexing pin slot, especially the left side of the slot.

Extreme left windage corresponds with the use of upper receiver vice blocks combined with no grease used on the front/FSB facing side of the barrel extension flange.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Any word on the A1 carbine barrels? Specifically the 14.7
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hello Brownells,

Can you help?
View Quote
I just received one of these barrels and installed it. The front sight base is noticeably canted to the left. I'm removing it and sending it back.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top