Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2023 4:49:01 PM EDT
I am left handed and have always "made due" with learning how to manipulate right handed controls regardless of the gun, but have been looking at maybe adding an ambi magazine release to my ARs.

Pro and Cons?

Anyone have a favorite?

Link Posted: 2/9/2023 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m left handed and made due with a standard for a long time in trainings. Eventually I went to KAC and Troy. Splits for better even though I was pretty fast with a standard mag change. I put a forward controls on my Rogue and I like that also. I’d probably rank it forward, kac, Troy
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
In for the info. I've got a southpaw son.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely useless. More useless than most ambi devices.

I'm a lefty. When gripping the mag well with your right hand from the front, your right thumb rests right on the mag release. That's how I've always done it, including in .mil.

Ambi safeties I kind of like, but there's really no need for an ambi mag release.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Delete.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I took my ambi mag release back off.  The secondary spring ended up being too touchy and caused unintentional mag drops.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought the KAC. Hated it. Sold it and got the Troy. It's so much easier to use. And I'm a KAC whore. I have 3 troys on other non ambi lowers and 2 KAC ambi rifles.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I have JP ambi mag releases on 3 of mine, I like them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 1:47:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I use it on my LWRC lowers quite a lot. Admittedly, it usually for admin type loading or unloading. I really don't notice that it's there when doing a reload under time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]
The heavier spring alone is nice.  Even if you aren’t looking for an ambi release.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I started out with a troy and did not like it.
I then tried a Knights armament and I now have them on all my AR's

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022858669
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#12]
The Forward Controls Design ambi mag release is where it's at. I have them on all of my AR's that aren't MARS-L's
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I prefer the Norgon design ambi release.
CMMG makes a copy of it.
Midway stocks them
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CMMG makes a copy of it.
Midway stocks them
View Quote

That is the one I took off my rifle because the spring in the internal ambi/pivot mechanism was too light in my example, and it would drop magazines if I slightly grazed it when activating the bolt release.  Your mileage may vary.  But, I don't have confidence in this type of a system in my go-to rifles.  Perhaps the styles that pull the mag catch by leveraging off the side of the receiver may be more reliable because they use the factory spring.  But, I am not in a hurry to try another one to find out.

Again YMMV.  Not bagging on your choice, just sharing my experience.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That is the one I took off my rifle because the spring in the internal ambi/pivot mechanism was too light in my example, and it would drop magazines if I slightly grazed it when activating the bolt release.  Your mileage may vary.  But, I don't have confidence in this type of a system in my go-to rifles.  Perhaps the styles that pull the mag catch by leveraging off the side of the receiver may be more reliable because they use the factory spring.  But, I am not in a hurry to try another one to find out.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CMMG makes a copy of it.
Midway stocks them

I have a Norgon and the copies use a spring that is near as strong as Norgon or the CMMG
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#16]
norgon.
buy a real one for fucks sake.

I have the SLR and some other knockoff, and the norgon is far superior in fit finish.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 4:05:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
norgon.
buy a real one for fucks sake.

I have the SLR and some other knockoff, and the norgon is far superior in fit finish.
View Quote

And the fcd is STILL better. I gave away the troy, norgon, kac etc. All sucked in comparison to fcd in my use. Im a lefty, fwiw
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And the fcd is STILL better. I gave away the troy, norgon, kac etc. All sucked in comparison to fcd in my use. Im a lefty, fwiw
View Quote

id like to try the FCD one, but what bothers me is how the paddle is out in the open, and could be bumped easier and drop a mag by accident, also seems snaggy.. especially with the added leverage it could be easier to depress. unlike the right side mag release which is protected by a fence.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top