Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2018 10:08:48 PM EDT
So I am in the process of freefloating my 20in PSA rifle and the front sight pins are not budging an inch. I mean my brother and I hammered on these two pins for almost 3 hours and never got it to move at all. I got so fed up I was about to just take an angle grinder and try and cut it off or start it but thought better of it, but getting these two fucking pins out is really irritating me. If I didn't know better I would think PSA welded these damn things on.

I tried putting wd40 on it and letting it soak for a couple hours. No luck
I tried obviously hammering it out, and they have yet to give.
I tried to drill tap it out, and the rounded pins just did not allow me to use any kind of hand drill. Do not have access to a drill press.

What am I missing here guys. Should I just get the hacksaw/dremel and start cutting?
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#1]
those are tapered pins.  they only come out one way.

Once you figure out the proper direction, get out your soldering torch and heat n beat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
those are tapered pins.  they only come out one way.

Once you figure out the proper direction, get out your soldering torch and heat n beat.
View Quote
Ya I have the direction down lol. I do not have a soldering torch is that going to be the only option to remove it?
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
go shoot it till its good and hot.  1 mag dump will do it.

start beating.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The pins are surprising sometimes. What I usually see when someone can not get them out is they think they are hitting the pins hard enough when they aren't. Using a trim hammer and a punch is not enough sometimes. Get the sight supported so you can focus on controlling the punch and a small sledge hammer. Give the punch a good swing with a sledge hammer and they will pop right out.
Take whatever amount of hammer force you think should be plenty and double it. Pretend your trying to drive a 16 penny nail into a 4x4 with one swing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:02:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Support the FSB in a special hockey puck and wail on it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:05:42 AM EDT
[#7]
When I remove them, I make sure they are on concrete and I use a cupped punch and a 4 pound hammer and I hit them fast and sharp to get them started, once started they come out very easy, but you have to break that initial hold the taper hold has on them.  When I was working in the Armories in the service, we used the biggest hammer we had and a plate of steel to back it up and we didn't hit them with kid gloves, we beat the shit out of them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:26:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you going adjustable gas block? If not just shave the FSB. They are tapered pins they only come out one way. The best way to get them out is a torch, a punch and a BFH.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When I remove them, I make sure they are on concrete and I use a cupped punch and a 4 pound hammer and I hit them fast and sharp to get them started, once started they come out very easy, but you have to break that initial hold the taper hold has on them.  When I was working in the Armories in the service, we used the biggest hammer we had and a plate of steel to back it up and we didn't hit them with kid gloves, we beat the shit out of them.
View Quote
This. I find one of the most important aspects is using a solid surface and a stable block. If you're hammering it on a surface with any give at all (say on a wooden workbench that isn't rock solid, or worse, in your lap), you're not getting the full force of the hammer blow. Same goes for the block. You want the FSB to be completely stable, so as much force from the hammer blow as possible is being transmitted to the pin.

A taper pin punch (cupped punch) helps as well. I've also used a piece of oversized steel round stock (7/16") instead of a punch to break them free. As mentioned, once the initial hold is broken, they come out very easily.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Ya pretty much what was mentioned was what we had gone wrong on. We were hitting it on a wooden bench with play and I was concerned about doing damage to the barrel so I wasnt really giving it a forceful blow. So now I'm gonna go put it on concrete, and start hitting it until it gives
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Good punch.  Good whack.
A real penetrating oil may help too, wd40 is for drying out distributor caps ;)
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good punch.  Good whack.
A real penetrating oil may help too, wd40 is for drying out distributor caps ;)
View Quote
Ya I didn't have any specialized tools, so I made do. Turns out beating it like a red headed stepchild in a trailer park will get the job done no matter what you use

Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Kroil overnight has always worked for me
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A nail and a framing hammer?

I'm beginning to see the issue....

Glad you got them out. Hope you wore eyepro?
View Quote
Its not even a framing hammer lol. Its a like 8oz pos that comes with those nails you hang pictures with. I used real tools yesterday, but I only have a small toolbox at my apartment and I got the job done.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Its not even a framing hammer lol. Its a like 8oz pos that comes with those nails you hang pictures with. I used real tools yesterday, but I only have a small toolbox at my apartment and I got the job done.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A nail and a framing hammer?

I'm beginning to see the issue....

Glad you got them out. Hope you wore eyepro?
good thing you had your seatbelts on.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Well boys. I have bad news to report. After a couple more hours of effort, and nearly bending my upper I have realized that the delta ring will not be going down without a fight. And as fun as it was to get this far the proper tools will be required to continue.

Without an upper vice block I'm afraid of doing some permanent damage so I'm just gonna let a smith knock the ring off and pay him his fee. I do have one request for Palmetto State Armory.

Stop using these guys to install parts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Delta assembly? Or barrel nut?
View Quote
The barrel nut. The vice we were using just couldn't get a good enough grip and if I order the vice blocks, it would end up costing more than paying a smith to just pop it off.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The barrel nut. The vice we were using just couldn't get a good enough grip and if I order the vice blocks, it would end up costing more than paying a smith to just pop it off.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/445346/dring-660591.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Delta assembly? Or barrel nut?

You're going to need those same tools to reinstall it it has to be torqued  properly.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#25]
In the future go to Home Depot and buy yourself a mini sledge hammer.  It should be less than $20.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#26]
4lb Sledge will get it done, I picked a 4 pounder up at a garage sale for $5
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#27]
There are two types of people whowork on guns, one of them is a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/9/2018 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Is the other one a artist?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
There really are two types of us. Nothing a torch, dremel and 9lb. sledge couldn't do. That delta assembly was ezpz. And it provided me the opportunity to keep my skill level up.

Link Posted: 9/9/2018 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you saying you just chucked the upper in a vise and tried to wrench on it?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#35]
the easiest way is take it to a gunsmith
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There really are two types of us. Nothing a torch, dremel and 9lb. sledge couldn't do. That delta assembly was ezpz. And it provided me the opportunity to keep my skill level up.

https://i.imgur.com/FcI2QyY.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/FcI2QyY.jpg
you should charge for work like that
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A piece of 3/4" brass round bar coupled with a BFH will pop them loose without fucking up your FSB.
View Quote
I use a brass punch with a hammer. Haven’t found one I can’t remove but have had some really tight ones. I use a big piece of wood as a backer. I drilled a hole into it so the pin can go in there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Are you saying you just chucked the upper in a vise and tried to wrench on it?
View Quote
Ya thats exactly what I did. I wrapped it in a cloth rag, and clamped it upside down so it was using the top rail as the hold point. Problem was that it was on there so tight, that using the cloth meant it wasn't as tight as it should have been and kept popping out. We gave up after my brother flipped it around and tried to tighten the vice on the main upper body and I could see the upper flexing and that was it. We called it a night there before we fucked it up any more.

Good news is I took it in today, paid 30 bucks and got it installed. I also bought a upper and lower vice block while I was in there because I have no doubt that this is the first of many builds and might as well have the right tools. Now all I need is a torque wrench and I'm set to go.

Still a long way from being done, but its now back in action. Still working out which muzzle break I want to use, and what optic I'm going to put on. Eventually I would like to get a RAS rail but I have several other guns that I'm working on at the moment and its going to take a back seat to those for now.

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 2:15:43 AM EDT
[#40]
If you have a large bench vise, just use a corner to press out the FSB pins to where they are loose, then tap them out the rest of the way. Also use it to press the pins back in. Takes all the effort of of it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top