Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/13/2022 9:20:08 PM EDT
I got myself into a situation and not sure how to fix it.

Not long before they shut down I got a couple 601 uppers from NDS. I was on the list for lowers before they shut down.

So in the mean time I grabbed a couple of Brownell's 601 lowers. The color doesn't quite match on the two.

- Any suggestions to get them to match?

- Or just wait for the new company to get up and running & get their lowers (assuming they'll match the old uppers)?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If they’re both gray I’d leave it. My experience with M16A1s in the service, the uppers and lowers never quite matched. I’m not sure why, there are many more people on here with far more knowledge than myself when it comes to retro builds.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Mismatch is the way it should be!
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mismatch is the way it should be!
View Quote

Plus one on that one, Amigo.  How's this for a mismath?  One of my fave.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to strip an older upper/receiver and try my hand with Norells colt grey/black paint, if that turns out well  I will try my hand at doing that as a service some day as this topic comes up often.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 2:49:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I got myself into a situation and not sure how to fix it.

Not long before they shut down I got a couple 601 uppers from NDS. I was on the list for lowers before they shut down.

So in the mean time I grabbed a couple of Brownell's 601 lowers. The color doesn't quite match on the two.

- Any suggestions to get them to match?

- Or just wait for the new company to get up and running & get their lowers (assuming they'll match the old uppers)?
View Quote

A big part of the matching issue is that uppers and lowers weren't done all at the same time in the pot... tub... whatever, and minor variations would occur. Victor at US Anodizing (who did the NDS ano) is extremely good at maintaining consistency, and even then some differences could creep in. Brownell's used another company, and there was a larger spread of color, all the way to "blem for ano" levels. (Ask people about the greenish-grey ones.)

If you check these two threads, mike_nds has posted the current ano samples and a few comparison shots to original GI and NDS stuff. (For the second thread, I'd start from the end  and work back, there's an awful lot of discussion before the relevant images start showing up.)

Here's a sample set from 23 May, oiled and wiped down. (Mike's pic and aluminium, not mine.)

Attachment Attached File

Note there's a very small difference between the color of the upper and lower.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I appreciate the replies. Looks like I’m good to go.

I’m hoping they get the new production up soon too. My plan is to build a few retro rifles and I just started at the total wrong time it seems.

Have they said if they’ll be selling directly on the PSA site or https://hr1871.com?

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Supposed to be listing the items on the HR site, with a order button that will push you over to PSA to checkout and pay.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm going to strip an older upper/receiver and try my hand with Norells colt grey/black paint, if that turns out well  I will try my hand at doing that as a service some day as this topic comes up often.
View Quote

Why strip it?
Keep the ano on there to protect the metal and just spray over it to get the color to match.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Colt didn't bother to match the finish on theirs

my Delta Elite HBAR is the same way
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top