Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2021 4:56:20 PM EDT
Looking for a budget red dot for an AR pistol.
Just want something functional for range/plinking ... and could also be used in a HD situation if needed.

I've done a ton of reasech on red dots and budget options... and the Sig Romeo seems to be about "as cheap" as I want to go while still have a quality product.
Is there any reason to NOT get a Sig Romeo and instead get something else?

I do want a Holosun 510c... but those are a little over $300 so would have to save up a little more for that one.
I would think the Sig would be good for now... and I could upgrade again later, and use the Sig Romeo on something else.

Thoughts guys?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Aimpoint
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#2]
It really just matters if you want to buy Chinese stuff or not

The Burris fastfire is made in the Philippines, is cheap, seems to do its job and, well, not Chinese

To some that matters.  If it doesn’t matter to you, go forth and do great things
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like the shake awake option with the SIG as well ass the auto-off when movement is not detected. That's a big plus as long as it works reliably long term. I've heard of a few failures, but I don't know that it is a wide spread issue.

I really like my Vortex StrikeFires and my Vortex SPARC. I've had to use the warranty once on their very first generation of StrikeFire so instead of fixing it, they replaced it with the newest model. Awesome!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The cheapest I'm willing to go is a SPARC. Look at the torture tests of that series over the years and you'll see it is worth the price, which is very reasonable for what you get. However, Aimpoint and Trijicon are also worth their price for a good reason. A SPARC series would meet your needs for a backup or range toy, if it is a duty gun don't skimp.

Personally, I just don't trust SIG as a company any longer. They have put out so much junk and covered up numerous problems in the recent past that I can't even justify calling them a shadow of their former self. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The cheapest I'm willing to go is a SPARC. Look at the torture tests of that series over the years and you'll see it is worth the price, which is very reasonable for what you get. However, Aimpoint and Trijicon are also worth their price for a good reason. A SPARC series would meet your needs for a backup or range toy, if it is a duty gun don't skimp.

Personally, I just don't trust SIG as a company any longer. They have put out so much junk and covered up numerous problems in the recent past that I can't even justify calling them a shadow of their former self. YMMV.
View Quote

Are you saying that SIG does not honor their OPTICS warranty and cover up OPTIC problems specifically? Or are you talking about firearm related issues of the past like the P320 & P365 pistols? Well that's totally unrelated to the OP's original question. That is unless you're just boycotting SIG "as a company" in general? If so, well that's just grandstanding & virtue signaling with no backup of any claims. Actual optic related info would be ideal in an optic related forum ... just saying.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:59:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one. If I could use red dots it would still be on a rifle or a pistol. My old eyes just don't work with red dots. Prisms or LPVO work well enough for me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:03:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one I picked on Black Friday for cheap on a poverty pony. It serves it's purpose
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:05:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Aimpoint
View Quote

Need reading glasses?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:35:32 AM EDT
[#9]

SAS operator in Africa says go for it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:18:09 AM EDT
[#10]

I like the Romeo, just wish it came with flip up covers instead of the silly rubber band lens cover.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:35:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Because primary arms and lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#12]

The 4T is a different animal from the low price line
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I have had the Romeo 5 and the XDR 5. Both were fine for the time that I had them. I think it would serve your purposes absolutely fine also. Bass Pro has the version with just the absolute co-witness mount for $130 with free shipping. I think the Sparc II would work also, and their warranty sweetens the pot a bit. Scheels has those for $150 with free shipping right now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't know why the Sig MSR gets overlooked so often. I have one on a second rifle and love it. Never lost zero or had any problems. It can be had right around $100, 2 MOA red dot, is lighter and simpler than the Romeo 5, has one brightness rotary control mounted on top, (not a fan of the close together rubber push buttons) and has built in clear protective covers that do not need to be opened. The elevation/windage adjustments are recessed, marked and have a good tactile feel. Great sight for the price. https://www.sigsauer.com/romeo-msr.html

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Because primary arms and lifetime warranty.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing. I really like Aimpoint PRO’s, and PA sells a copy (not counterfeit) of the PRO and went I was looking for a optic for real low dollar build I got one used off EE for $80 with mount. It works fine, now my 3 SHTF AR’s have different flavors of Aimpoints.

The PA version of the when looking through it looks just like an Aimpoint.

One other optic to look at is a Swampfox Blade, you can get them just over $200.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#16]
romeo 5 is a great value. i prefer the holosun for an AR as the mount it comes with is a bit taller (lower 1/3). i have them both on 22lr rifles but i would not feel they would be the weak point of the gun on a 5.56 defensive rifle.

both mentioned sights have a crisper dot (to my eyes) than my aimpoint micro.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Are you saying that SIG does not honor their OPTICS warranty and cover up OPTIC problems specifically? Or are you talking about firearm related issues of the past like the P320 & P365 pistols? Well that's totally unrelated to the OP's original question. That is unless you're just boycotting SIG "as a company" in general? If so, well that's just grandstanding & virtue signaling with no backup of any claims. Actual optic related info would be ideal in an optic related forum ... just saying.
View Quote

I did not ever make that statement; please refrain from putting words in my mouth, I would assume their US made scopes are good to go as they should be for the price. Real Euro SIG stuff is excellent as well. The US company's decisions (especially with parts sourcing) don't inspire confidence in their products for me and I'll leave it at that. You are free to reach your own conclusions.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#18]

I have 2 of those very nice Romeo4T American made.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing. I really like Aimpoint PRO’s, and PA sells a copy (not counterfeit) of the PRO and went I was looking for a optic for real low dollar build I got one used off EE for $80 with mount. It works fine, now my 3 SHTF AR’s have different flavors of Aimpoints.

One other optic to look at is a Swampfox Blade, you can get them just over $200.
View Quote

Which PA optic are you talking about?
I like PA stuff a lot too, I have their 1x6 which is a great LPVO
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The 4T is a different animal from the low price line
View Quote

Huge fan of Romeo4t.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a PA SLx Advanced 30mm red dot. Looks like an Aimpoint but not a counterfeit. I got a couple used off EE for $80 with a mount. They seem to work good, but for a real SHTF gun I lean towards an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I did not ever make that statement; please refrain from putting words in my mouth, I would assume their US made scopes are good to go as they should be for the price. Real Euro SIG stuff is excellent as well. The US company's decisions (especially with parts sourcing) don't inspire confidence in their products for me and I'll leave it at that. You are free to reach your own conclusions.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You previously said:

I merely ASKED what you were referring to exactly. I asked IF you were referring to a firearm related issue. I asked IF you are boycotting SIG, quoting your exact statement. IF you were, without ANY optics related "covering up" ... well then it is a FACT that you would be simply grandstanding & virtue signaling if you have absolutely no backup of any claim. Actual optic related info would be ideal in an optic related forum ... just saying.

So what exactly do you now claim that I am "putting words in your mouth"?

Now your vague claim "especially with parts sourcing" with zero followup or specificity whether those such "parts" are optics related or firearm related falls into question. Notice I didn't put words into your mouth again. You see ... when someone makes a claim, the onus is on YOU to back up your own claim otherwise we can dismiss your claims as entirely unfounded. That is how logic works. Logic does NOT rely on feelings or belief, logic relies on facts/data/tests.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Vortex or Primary Arms instead simply due to warranty and customer service
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Not a fan of cheap optics but if there's simply no way to save for an Aimpoint, my vote would be Holosun. Pick your model. Don't give me the China crap while typing on your Chinese phone watching your Chinese TV wearing your Chinese socks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#25]
The Romeo 5 is just about the same thing as the Holosun HS403B. Both are solid choices and have held up well for me and plenty of others. I wouldn't hesitate at all to get a Romeo 5.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You previously said:

I merely ASKED what you were referring to exactly. I asked IF you were referring to a firearm related issue. I asked IF you are boycotting SIG, quoting your exact statement. IF you were, without ANY optics related "covering up" ... well then it is a FACT that you would be simply grandstanding & virtue signaling if you have absolutely no backup of any claim. Actual optic related info would be ideal in an optic related forum ... just saying.

So what exactly do you now claim that I am "putting words in your mouth"?

Now your vague claim "especially with parts sourcing" with zero followup or specificity whether those such "parts" are optics related or firearm related falls into question. Notice I didn't put words into your mouth again. You see ... when someone makes a claim, the onus is on YOU to back up your own claim otherwise we can dismiss your claims as entirely unfounded. That is how logic works. Logic does NOT rely on feelings or belief, logic relies on facts/data/tests.
View Quote

Take a deep breath and settle down, being correct on an internet forum isn't a life or death situation for me. Firearms are, however, inherently life or death. If you trust a company that is your choice and yours alone. I'll refrain again from specifics and simply state that a company's choices in one product line are not necessarily a direct reflection on their other lines. However, how they handle/justify/correct problems or criticisms are a direct reflection of their company and values.

Quoted:
Not a fan of cheap optics but if there's simply no way to save for an Aimpoint, my vote would be Holosun. Pick your model. Don't give me the China crap while typing on your Chinese phone watching your Chinese TV wearing your Chinese socks.
View Quote

My understanding is some of the SIG stuff actually is made by Holosun.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:06:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I think the advantage of the T1 type lies in the abundant aftermarket mounts.
The same lens position as the T1 is required to get the eye position intended by the mount developer.
In other words, I do not want to select ROMEO, HOLOSUN 403B, R series with extra height at the bottom of the main body.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Which Romeo, exactly, is the OP inquiring about?

I have a Rome4H and it is a good piece of gear. Made in USA, too.

RSY
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I started out looking for an aimpoint for my Stribog and was just really struggling with the high price of the T2 and/or CompM5.  That's not to say I don't think it's worth it to some degree; I do have a CompM4 and CompM4s but in the end I couldn't wrap my head around a red dot that cost almost as much as the firearm that requires you to then also figure out how you're going to mount it, which height, etc.

Enter the Romeo4.  Comes with two mount options and a riser to adjust either so you can hit whatever configuration you need. If that's still not enough, you can use aftermarket T1/T2/CompM5 mounts. I ordered a Romeo4T to get as close to that tank-like construction I was accustomed to with the Aimpoints and ACOGs I have.  I took it out of the box and checked it out; it looks and feels like high quality kit and the reticle options are really nice - I appreciate the flexibility there.

I'm happy with the result.  I spent half as much and got more.  It looks fantastic on the Stribog and it's exactly in terms of the one mount you bought and spent an extra $100+ for.

So I say - if you want something in the realm of Aimpoint get a Romeo4; if you want something a bit less expensive, more in the Holosun price range, the Romeo5 is a solid optic for the money as well.  Sig may be as much marketing as they are a firearms manufacturer but the reality is - the Romeo 4/5 at least - their stuff is the business.  I would not hesitate, especially if you can find a deal online (rare for Aimpoints, not so rare with the Sig optics, especially the Romeo 5).

I will present one counterpoint:  Nothing holds its value like Aimpoint.  But if I'm taking $100 loss to sell either way, I do like the idea of tying up half as much in the product.  So...maybe not a strong enough counterpoint to change things much.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top