Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/26/2022 10:25:10 PM EDT
CMMG upper runs just fine with Octane45 leaving the Nielsen device in. Obviously, that’s nice so I can throw it back on my Glock as needed.

Any reason it’s bad to leave the Nielsen device in the can on a fixed barrel?
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had it where it "acts" like the piston, but instead of it pushing the barrel backwards (because it can't) it pushes the can forwards (or at least its what it seems like it's doing).

If the can twists a bit in that outward position and you have a device that can index in different places , the threaded piston can cause the can to "stick out" and be stuck in-between index points in that outward position and potentially be misaligned.

Hard to describe with words, but I've avoided it once I saw that was happening on a Scorpion with a YHM Cobra.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Just make a fixed barrel spacer or buy one. The back and forth of the suppressor can beat up the threads and can.

https://silencerco.com/shop/fixed-barrel-spacer/
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 12:41:06 AM EDT
[#3]
get the fixed spacer.
or better yet, get another can.
more cans = more fun
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:39:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
get the fixed spacer.
or better yet, get another can.
more cans = more fun
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a fixed barrel adapter so you don’t have to worry about a baffle strike
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh I’ve got a fixed barrel spacer but who wants to change out parts of it works ok?

But you guys are right…I need to buy another pistol can!

Seriously: I appreciate the wisdom. I’ll throw the fixed spacer in there when on the AR upper.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh I’ve got a fixed barrel spacer but who wants to change out parts of it works ok?

But you guys are right…I need to buy another pistol can!

Seriously: I appreciate the wisdom. I’ll throw the fixed spacer in there when on the AR upper.

Thanks
View Quote

The video above shows what can happen. It essentially jackhammers your can on the end of your barrel.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#9]
excellent question and one i've wondered.

like you, i wanted to instantly be able to take the can off my fixed barrel PDW and stick it on my "moving barrel" handgun, WITHOUT having to take it apart to install a spacer in it.

seems this thread says NO!

so i'm back to having two cans. guess life could be worse....
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I did it once and I wouldn’t recommend it.
Lots of movement on a subsonic.300 blk

Spacer is cheap vs even the postage for repair
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top