Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/11/2019 7:48:29 PM EDT
Is it good to go? I’ve thought about getting some for my guns which range from  an AR and AK, to a Glock, to a couple of bolt actions. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent in my book.  Does not readily absorb dirt and stays put during use.  I've used it for a few years.  Primarily on AR trigger group contact points, and the rails on all my handguns.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I use it and do not see any issues.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have it and it is good grease.  I doubt anyone will chime in who does not think it is GTG for the intended purpose.
Also, If you have not tried Slip2000 EWL check it out. For a lube EWL is GTG.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Expensive.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Tony Kidd had good things to say about it so I tried it. He was right it really is good stuff. Use it sparingly for best results and Yes, its worth what it costs.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#6]
New to the AR platform, have a similar thread on MC products as my research pointed to it as the one too.   Military issues it I am told but reality is many products likely will work with civilian use and cleaning regiment.  A CLP came w the cleaning kit I bought, tried it, felt greasy after a few days so went for the full MC program.   Interesting, even applied heavy after a few days gets a dry patina to it, the dust resistance people mentioned... It is expensive but I don't use all that much so not an issue.   The grease is for the inside areas, the oil outside and cleaner for prep.  They have a full mil spec how to on thickness doc, helpful IMO.   Happy w all three products thus far... Seems many who use it or have used it for years say the same but like Ford, Chevy, Dodge, all good!
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#7]
It's like Frank's Hot Sauce.  I use it on everything!
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's like Frank's Hot Sauce.  I use it on everything!
View Quote
Exactly!   Perfect lubricant as far as I can tell!
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Its good to go but use it sparingly or you are just wasting it.  Does not take much, i spread it with a small paint brush to make a little go a long way.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Its good to go but use it sparingly or you are just wasting it.  Does not take much, i spread it with a small paint brush to make a little go a long way.
View Quote
A little goes a long way for sure...  MC provides a detailed AR15 how thick and where guide that they provide to DoD buyers. Best summary I have read anywhere.  There is a reason their two step system is what they provide to our troops.  Simply works.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 5:20:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#12]
TW25b is good to go. However, TW25b is expensive.

So for me, I use it during the coldest parts of the winter. Outside of that, I use synthetic wheel bearing grease the rest of the year.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 1:03:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
TW25b is good to go. However, TW25b is expensive.

So for me, I use it during the coldest parts of the winter. Outside of that, I use synthetic wheel bearing grease the rest of the year.
View Quote
You are right, it is on the high side compared to others but when you look at qty you use, worth it for me, best products I have found thus far.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Ive used it all over the world.  It works.

If you need a very thick oil...it is a very thick oil.

If you need an actual grease (like wheel bearing grease)...it is not that.

It was designed for applications where wash out resistance mattered but viscosity needed to be lower.  Think...50 cal machineguns in the surf...and it works very well for this.  It was not designed to replace actual grease for applications where you need max pressure resistance like you would for bearings and similar.

Frankly...it has limited utility on ARs.  I've run it a bit on them and, while it works, it's not optimal.  EWL in quantity on the BCG will keep an AR running longer than anything I have ever used, even suppressed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 11:52:36 PM EDT
[#15]
We use it on our machine guns on fighter airplanes on not much is needed, we go from high altitude to low quickly in all weather and we have had no malfunctions. You only use a very small amount so if you slobber it on your pissing away money.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Been using it for years.Absolutely love it!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:31:06 AM EDT
[#17]
For AR’s and other small arms, I like the MC3000 and the MC2500.

MC2500 is mainly what I use these days and a little goes a very long way.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:42:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Good grease.  Stinky.  But good.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:46:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I switched from Tetra to TW, and it works great.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:12:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It was designed for applications where wash out resistance mattered but viscosity needed to be lower.  Think...50 cal machineguns in the surf...and it works very well for this.  It was not designed to replace actual grease for applications where you need max pressure resistance like you would for bearings and similar.

Frankly...it has limited utility on ARs.  I've run it a bit on them and, while it works, it's not optimal.  EWL in quantity on the BCG will keep an AR running longer than anything I have ever used, even suppressed.
View Quote
Makes total sense, almost adhesive in nature, seems to work well on my AR, applied as prescribed, but I don't have the experience you do so can't really comment on extreme duty.   Why do you prefer EWL, lasts longer?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Makes total sense, almost adhesive in nature, seems to work well on my AR, applied as prescribed, but I don't have the experience you do so can't really comment on extreme duty.   Why do you prefer EWL, lasts longer?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARs seem to prefer wet lube that is a bit thin.  You can run them almost indefinitely as the crud will migrate to non critical areas.  Keeping that carbon soft and wet enables to AR to move it out of the way and/or blow it out the ejection port.  When ARs stop is when they are dry or the moving parts are caked with hard carbon buildup.  One thing CLP is very good at, is keeping it all soft and wet...thus the rifle keeps going.

I think ARs tend to run better with a lube like CLP, EWL, or motor oil.

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#22]
It's essentially a Teflon paste. Very high amount of PTFE.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#23]
TW25B is great stuff. I’ve starting using Lucas Red “N” Tacky on all my firearms.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:34:27 AM EDT
[#24]
It’s pretty good. I ran it for awhile before switching to Cherrybalmz...which I feel is the better option. I’m not a fan of the Teflon so that rules out TW25B.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I used to use it and liked it well enough, but it separates and you can't get it back into solution, so I switched to Slip 2000.

I miss that Teflon smell.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I used to use it and liked it well enough, but it separates and you can't get it back into solution, so I switched to Slip 2000.

View Quote
I have a bunch of little packets and just squeeze them up before opening and it mixes back up nicely. I recently bought some slip owl grease that I'm really digging. I love the twb still though it stays but seems to dry out slightly in tight corners and crevices but still does well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:10:59 AM EDT
[#27]
I use it for my 1911s. Works perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:30:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can mix it with isopropyl alcohol and get it as thin as you'd like.

TW-25B is the lubricant used on all USN/USMC aircraft guns.  
M240 7.62,
GAU-17 Minigun,
GAU-21 .50 cal, ( and the GAU-16/XM-218 before it),
M197 20mm (AH-1 and the Navy's FF 20mm - whatever it's called)
M61 20mm (F/A-18)
GAU-12 25mm.

I don't know if its the right lube for an AR, but it works well on aircraft guns.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Is there much difference between TW25B and LSAT?
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is there much difference between TW25B and LSAT?
View Quote
I don't know but I think LSAT is 75% LSA and 25% Teflon. IIRC, LSA was made specifically for the M16 back in the day. If I'm worong about any of this, hopefully someone else will chime in.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I don't know but I think LSAT is 75% LSA and 25% Teflon. IIRC, LSA was made specifically for the M16 back in the day. If I'm worong about any of this, hopefully someone else will chime in.
View Quote
USMC M16A1 in the late 70's we were issued two olive drab plastic bottles. One was indeed LSA, to lubricate when we were done cleaning with the other bottle of oil/solvent.

TW25B is what I use for that now for years. AR's, Glocks, Sig, double action and single action revolvers, bolt and lever actions, everything. I even use it on folding knives.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 4:14:23 AM EDT
[#32]
LSAT is specked for the Mk 19 grande launcher and is much thicker than regular LSA.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:17:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You can mix it with isopropyl alcohol and get it as thin as you'd like.

TW-25B is the lubricant used on all USN/USMC aircraft guns.

M240 7.62,
GAU-17 Minigun,
GAU-21 .50 cal, ( and the GAU-16/XM-218 before it),
M197 20mm (AH-1 and the Navy's FF 20mm - whatever it's called)
M61 20mm (F/A-18)
GAU-12 25mm.

I don't know if its the right lube for an AR, but it works well on aircraft guns.
View Quote
That's really the crux of the matter.

IMHO, the only part on an AR that might benefit from grease is the cam pin. Beyond that, everything is better served by using oil.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

USMC M16A1 in the late 70's we were issued two olive drab plastic bottles. One was indeed LSA, to lubricate when we were done cleaning with the other bottle of oil/solvent.

TW25B is what I use for that now for years. AR's, Glocks, Sig, double action and single action revolvers, bolt and lever actions, everything. I even use it on folding knives.
View Quote
Same... I have a few synthetic adhesive lubricants that I tend to "go to" on everything... TW seems to be a new one for me... Can't say 10 years hence will be there (yet) but I believe it!  Great stuff...
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 11:32:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Couldn't disagree more.
Oil tends to run or evaporate. I can put an AR lubed with a thin coat of light grease in the safe and take it out 10 years from now and it will be lubed exactly as it was when I put it in. It will be in ready to rock condition without me having to screw around with it and add lube to it.
Can you say the same of an AR lubed with oil?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's really the crux of the matter.

IMHO, the only part on an AR that might benefit from grease is the cam pin. Beyond that, everything is better served by using oil.
Couldn't disagree more.
Oil tends to run or evaporate. I can put an AR lubed with a thin coat of light grease in the safe and take it out 10 years from now and it will be lubed exactly as it was when I put it in. It will be in ready to rock condition without me having to screw around with it and add lube to it.
Can you say the same of an AR lubed with oil?
It's not a question of long-term storage; rather, it's a question of usage.

IN USE, the cam pin is really the only part that may actually benefit from a small/very thin amount of grease being applied to it. Everything else is better off with oil.

Beyond that, per your scenario, I wouldn't store an AR for 10 years and then pull it out and shoot it without inspecting it first anyway.  If it needed oil at that point, then it could be oiled.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Oil is high maintenance. Light grease stays put and is superior. That's my opinion after using oil for years and now using light grease. (Slip EWG, TW25B or Super Lube NLGI 00)

One area where oil is nice is if you are doing a lot of shooting and want to give a quick bit of extra lube to it. Oil is easier to apply. But that can even be applied over grease, so its not a reason to start out with the inferior lubricant.

What kind of problems have you personally seen with light grease such as those listed above on the BCG?

"Get Some Damn Grease" - Bruce Gray

ETA: At the end of the day we're both lubing with something and that puts us way ahead of all those folks that totally don't get that things need lube!
View Quote
Not sure how you've determined that a good quality oil somehow makes for an "inferior" lubricant on an AR.

From an archived thread:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/118-297701/?page=1

How NOT to lube an AR - pics

Quoted:
"A customer dropped off on upper today for some work, and I couldnt help but notice the stuff oozing out from the receiver.

Folks, grease has NO PLACE on an AR...

{ snip }

Since I'm already on my soap box, here's how I lube ALL my ARs. I have a remoil bottle I keep refilling with mobil-1 synthetic 30w motor oil.

One drop on the top of the charging handle

One drop on the gas rings

One drop on the body of the bolt

One drop on the cam pin

One drop on the firing pin

Two drops on the bottom rail of the carrier

Two drops on the top of the carrier

Thats it. Thats all I ever use, whether I'm plinking at the range for a few minutes, or an all day carbine class. 99% of my shooting any more is suppressed, and that is still all the lube I have ever needed. I dont lube in the receiver, I dont lube my buffer/spring."
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think I missed what problems you've experienced with a light application of a light grease.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I think I missed what problems you've experienced with a light application of a light grease.
I don't have problems, because I don't use grease anywhere other than the cam pin.

Quoted:
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#42]
MilComm and Slip EWG,Mobil 1....
Are excellent AR lubricants
I am presently using Slip EWG on everything- bolt, bolt rings, CP, BC bearing surfaces. I can go 600 rounds with 150 round mag dumps full auto over 90-120 minutes, giving time for cooling, without any hiccups and easily finish up 1K rounds.
I like the fact that after cleaning, lubing and storing the AR muzzle up, all the lube doesn't end up in the extension.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#43]
It is a great product. But, another great grease is Militech1. If I'm going to grease something on a gun, that's what I use. It also just happens to be the best all-purpose grease I've seen but I save it for the special stuff like bicycle bearings, etc.

I liked the comment on TW25B about using it on aircraft machine guns. You can imagine a plane at high altitude with guns at 0 degrees F suddenly diving to tropical conditions at a height 1000 ft with moisture condensing in the works of the guns - and they have to work. It definitely is good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Great for pistol slide rails, minty smell to boot...
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#45]
TW25 used to be my go to. Now I use EWL30.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top