Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2022 11:00:43 AM EDT
I need a set of over sized taper pins and can’t seem to locate them. At leads?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#1]
The next size up is normally used. Taper reamer required. If it is not in McMaster-Carr, it most likely doesn’t exist.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Disregard, brain fart.

See post below by j3_ , this is correct.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Any idea if these are hardened like the standard ones? That’s what I couldn’t find
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#4]
The diameter decreases with length. Go up one size and longer so you can trim both ends to get a preferred length. The ones I have gotten online from the mill supply were less hardened than a spec pin but worked fine for me.

I bought some off the shelf ones at an ACE hardware. they were plain mild steel and deformed easily. Junk.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#5]
@mike-nds - could you ask your friends @ PSA to list the ones they use?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The DPMS ones I have were O pins .156" on the big end and about .134" at the small end. The spec length for the pin shows a specialty length .845" +/- .020".

I just bought some O ones an 1 1/2" long so I did not have to over ream any more than needed and cut the pin of each end
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The DPMS ones I have were O pins .156" on the big end and about .134" at the small end. The spec length for the pin shows a specialty length .845" +/- .020".

I just bought some O ones an 1 1/2" long so I did not have to over ream any more than needed and cut the pin of each end
View Quote

Where did you source the 1 1/2” long pins from? I’d love to not have to pay a huge shipping amount. I’ve found a few on McMaster carr that would work as well
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#8]
That is where I bought them I think. Might have been MSC but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is where I bought them I think. Might have been MSC but I doubt it.
View Quote

Awesome. Thank you very much
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top