Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2021 2:18:36 PM EDT
I have heard so many bad things about them. I have a ton of 7.62 for my ak rifles, maybe time for a 7.62 ar15?
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
PSA KS47 has been great for me. Runs best suppressed. Uses AK mags
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an Armalite in 7.62x39 works good, they can probably be found used. The key is the magazines, they will make or break the rifle's performance. C Products Duramag mags work the best in mine.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an Armalite in 7.62x39 works good, they can probably be found used. The key is the magazines, they will make or break the rifle's performance. C Products Duramag mags work the best in mine.
View Quote

Three things make a GOOD AR-47 run.

(A) Good Magazines (I only use the C-Products / DuraMags in both 20's (my favorite) or 30's.    Good Mags make for Good Shooting.

(B) RedX Enhanced (extended) Firing Pin - It gives that extra Ommph to set off hard Eastern Block military primers

(C) Wolff (or similar) extra power hammer springs (again some extra oomph to set off hard Eastern Block military primers

I've got a pair of AR-47s and they run great with those three little helpful hints.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a ks47 pistol, runs subsonic ammo perfectly and runs supressed well. I haven't broken an extractor in a few thousand rounds.

Link Posted: 5/23/2021 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

(A) Good Magazines (I only use the C-Products / DuraMags in both 20's (my favorite) or 30's.    Good Mags make for Good Shooting.

(B) RedX Enhanced (extended) Firing Pin - It gives that extra Ommph to set off hard Eastern Block military primers

(C) Wolff (or similar) extra power hammer springs (again some extra oomph to set off hard Eastern Block military primers

I've got a pair of AR-47s and they run great with those three little helpful hints.

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

(D) Maybe a little feed ramp polishing depending on the barrel and ammo.  Hollow point 7.62 can be finicky if there are any ledges or burrs to catch.

If you don't have at least A and B, you will probably have nothing but frustration.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Standard lower w/ rifle extension, rifle spring, rifle buffer.  16" carbine gassed BCA barrel in a Spartan side charging upper.  Had a few issues in first mag 'cause I assembled it with the hammer spring backwards.  Runs like a raped ape otherwise, using  30 round Duramags, a 10 round Duramag and I need to test my 5 round ASC (5 is limit for hunting here in Fl... I don't hunt... but just in case....)

Link Posted: 5/23/2021 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an old colt 7.62x39 upper and it runs well with the old frankenmags.

Unfortunately neither are available today
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I’d stick with your AKs for 7.62 if this is for anything other than fun. A 7.62x39 AR will never be as reliable as a 5.56 AR or a 7.62 AK. If it’s just for range use/hunting it doesn’t really matter, but if it’s for any kind of self defense duty I’d steer clear entirely and just stick with the AK or get a 5.56 AR
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

There’s a frankenmag in the EE this morning @stevec223
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, $150 I don't need another one that bad.

Thanks anyway though
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Well as a guy with an AR carbine & pistol in 7.62x39 and two AK carbines and an AK pistol, my first AR upper (now gone after a long life) that had issues with bad mags (weak springs) and own a WASR that runs steel case fine but occasionally won’t extract brass case and won’t reliably run surplus Yugo m67 at all.

A quality AK will have a longer service life but IMHO neither platform is inherently more reliable if both are built to spec with good mags and ammo. AKs have the advantage of having very few poor choices for mags but fitment is varied from country to country so filing surplus or even new mags is normal.
For me, the only AR 7.62x39 mag to buy is the CPD Duramags, but many vendors carry them in all sizes for cheap and if they don’t work in your rifle, you probably have a rifle issue.

Most issues I see arise from home builds and are usually fixed with the right parts.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Magazines are finicky. The 25 round magazines have given me the most problems.

I own two 7.62x39mm uppers that I assembled. One has a 20" DPMS barrel that I had to open the gas port incrementally to get it to run reliably. The final dimension was .1250" (1/8" drill). The other is a 16" barrel (ER Shaw blank from the company who can not be named on this site). It ran reliably using 17 round magazines right from the factory.

The AR-15 was never designed to run ammo larger than .223/5.56mm. The fact that people can get larger rounds to work is a testament to Eugene Stoner's design genius and the tinkering of those who won't take no for an answer. I reload for this caliber which creates ammo much better than foreign steel cased junk. Sierra's 125 grain .311" Pro-Hunter bullet as well as Hornady's 123 grain .310" SP are head and shoulders better than anything you can purchase on the surplus market. I own a bolt action in this caliber as well.

Ideally an AR design sized halfway between the AR-15 and the AR10 would be ideal for 6.8SPC, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39mm and other round bigger than the .223 case size. A wider and slightly longer magazine well with a 2.500" internal magazine OAL". LWRC had the right idea when they built the Six8. If they could get Magpul onboard with manufacturing 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39mm magazines for that platform they could expand that line of products.

I believe AK-47 7.62x39 magazines are better in this caliber and buying an AR-15 style rifle that accepts them is probably the best option currently available. They problem going that route is your AR lower will no longer be swappable with different caliber uppers.

Lots to think about.

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a completely original Colt R6830 and a second one put together with an original 6830 lower receiver assembly, M4 stock and an R6850 flattop upper receiver assembly. Both have run great and required no modifications. Back during the AWB years I built up a nice collection of frankenmags, but in the years since they also work perfectly with CPD mags. So those are what I use now and I have sold off most of the frankenmags.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Like eye-gor, I have a BCA 16" barrel with carbine-length gas.  I paid $60 for the barrel.  I dropped it on a PSA complete lower and added an inexpensive (at the time I bought it) Aimsports rail that's actually a pretty nifty design.  I had some failures to feed and hold open the bolt early on with ASC mags, but after some use they seem to work fine.  At a machine gun shoot a few years ago I shot the dog crap out of it.  It's about a 2.5 MOA gun with cheap steel case and maybe a hair better with Hornady ammo.  It wears a 4-16x scope, so I'm much more accurate with it than an AK with irons.  It's been a fun gun.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Built up my second x39 upper this weekend - Anderson no-FA/no-gate upper, cheap Joe Bobs FF handguards, KAK value line 16" carbine gas barrel, AIM bcg and it runs great.   Range buddy showed up with a similar build, he had one round of some early 90s Norinco that wouldn't fire despite seriously deep fp indentation in the primer.  We're not blaming the AR.  He's happy with both ASC and CPD mags, I'm still running all CPD mags
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
PSA KS47 has been great for me. Runs best suppressed. Uses AK mags
View Quote

This. I built myself a BRS47 and I love it. Have a Faxon barrel in it and a buffer less carrier with a SA piston. Zero issues, while obscure.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote
Dead on the money, Hammer knows

I ended up with the firing pin and decent mags for my 9x39 KAK
Runs like a top with Wolf

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#19]
CMMG Mk-47 Mutant, or whatever they are calling it now under their new naming scheme. It takes AK mags, and uses an AR-10 sized bolt to eliminate the issues that some have experienced with using 7.62x39 in a standard AR-15.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#20]
BCA side charging 16” on top of KP-15. Seems to run fine.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 11:19:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I had wanted a Mk18 sized AR for a while. Shot the real thing a few times while in the Navy and really thought it would be a handy piece for farm pest control.  Wasn't too thrilled with 5.56 ballistics from a 10" barrel, and I had a rather generous supply of 7.62x39, already had a couple type 1 6.5 Grendel's... You see where this is going...

Built a 7.62x39 AR pistol with a PSA lower, BCM upper, 10.5" barrel, Larue 10" slick-a-tinny handguard, and SBA3 brace. One thing I learned about pistol builds with this cartridge, is that the gas port needs to be at least 0.090" or you won't have enough gas on a carbine length system. That and the three things already brought up are what it takes to make them run (CPD mags, enhanced FP, and spring).

Really love mine. It just runs. Wife put a mag thru it after I built it, handed it back and said, "I like it. Build another one for me."
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
CMMG Mk-47 Mutant, or whatever they are calling it now under their new naming scheme. It takes AK mags, and uses an AR-10 sized bolt to eliminate the issues that some have experienced with using 7.62x39 in a standard AR-15.
View Quote

This right here.  The CMMG mutants are fantastic.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#23]
C products mags, extrapower hammer spring or normal strength + NiBo FCG, and extended firing pin. I've got 750 rnds, only issue was steel case made it Super dirty at 500, 10 min wiped down and GTG.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I just put together an ar pistol in 7.62x39,  aero precision lower complete with sb3 brace, bca 10.5" regular (not side charge) upper, c products 20 round magazine.
Took it to the range and completed the bca barrel breakin procedure. Had a number of fail to feed and last round bolt hold open failures using belom brass cased ammo. After 20 rounds of that I switched to some tula and wolf steel case and experenced less issues, lol. Sighted it in and found it to be accurate. 0 soft primer strikes.
Questions;
1. Anyway to tell which gen of c product mags I got?
2. I thought I read somewhere that people sprayed lube in the mag, is this a good idea?
3. Seems like there is a little room in front of the bullet in the mag and if they shift forward the point gets caught on the mag and won't feed, aeemed worse with the belom ammo, would filing off a few mm be a good idea?
4. Surprisingly the belom brass ran the worst, thinking the varnished steel cases probably have less friction in the magazine, anyone have similar experience?
5. Saw a good deal on igman brass, anyone used this stuff?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just put together an ar pistol in 7.62x39,  aero precision lower complete with sb3 brace, bca 10.5" regular (not side charge) upper, c products 20 round magazine.
Took it to the range and completed the bca barrel breakin procedure. Had a number of fail to feed and last round bolt hold open failures using belom brass cased ammo. After 20 rounds of that I switched to some tula and wolf steel case and experenced less issues, lol. Sighted it in and found it to be accurate. 0 soft primer strikes.
Questions;
1. Anyway to tell which gen of c product mags I got?
2. I thought I read somewhere that people sprayed lube in the mag, is this a good idea?
3. Seems like there is a little room in front of the bullet in the mag and if they shift forward the point gets caught on the mag and won't feed, aeemed worse with the belom ammo, would filing off a few mm be a good idea?
4. Surprisingly the belom brass ran the worst, thinking the varnished steel cases probably have less friction in the magazine, anyone have similar experience?
5. Saw a good deal on igman brass, anyone used this stuff?

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Not at all familiar with "Belom" ammo - but a properly set up AR-47 should run standard steel cased (or brass) ammo just fine.  Just because it is brass doesn't make it good Mil-Spec ammo.  Offhand - to me it sounds like you are not getting enough gas to consistently drive the bolt carrier all the way back.

(A) Do you have more than ONE magazine you've used with your pistol - I'd have at least a pair (duct tape marked (1) & (2) to eliminate "bad mag" as a factor.  If you are not sure - I'd order two brand new "Dura-Mag" (C-Products Defense new name) twenties from AIM Surplus or Primary Arms - they seem to sell out quick, but get restocked often too.  that way you know you got the latest & greatest.

(B) Was the Aero Lower a complete factory unit or did you build it out?  What are you running in the recoil system - standard CAR buffer & Spring?   Some folks come out of the gate with a super heavy buffer & spring sets.  If BCA drilled a smallish gas port and / or the gas tube / Gas Rings are not properly installed, running a heavy buffer & strong spring may be more resistance than the limited gas can overcome.

(C) The Bolt Carrier Group - Whose did you use?    I would NOT lube the cartridges or spray inside the magazines (7.62x39 already has a good taper & adding any lubricants - oils can kill primers), but I would be sure the BCG is run "wet" just like a 5.56 gun should be.

Hope this helps

BIGGER_HAMMER

@SirRAM
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#26]
A) 2 mags, i will mark them as suggested.  Here is a pic of the packaging

B) complete factor lower, m4e1 w/sba3 https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-pistol-complete-lower-receiver-with-sba3-brace. Short on specs but i believe it is pistol buffer and a mil spec trigger.
C) using the BCA bolt carrier group and yes I have been running it wet with a good spray of lube at the start and if it seems dry.

Thanks for the tips, I will check the gas rings and reach out to aero on spring and buffer details. Sounds like a bigger gas port may be in the future along with an adjustable block.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Fadedsun -  I  just built an AR15 7.62X15 carbine. You could go that route? Building one can be a recipe that no one knows the ingredients for until they've put one together. It is a very nice rifle once it's running well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#28]
@bigger_hammer I pulled the buffer and it weighs 3oz on the dot, the bcg weighs 11.5oz and BCA says the gas port is drilled 0.093.
I also checked the gas rings (they were properly aligned), gave the bolt a good clean and oiled it up. I also put tape on one mag so I can tell them apart.
I tried manually cycling a mag and the 20 rnds in the mag all fed and ejected cleanly.
I am now wondering if there is a chance the buffer is too light?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#29]
SirRAM, how many rounds through your gun?  Mine took some break-in before it ran smoothly.  I don't remember how many rounds it took, but I'd guesstimate between 100 and 200-- about five grand in ammo costs these days.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:21:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@bigger_hammer I pulled the buffer and it weighs 3oz on the dot, the bcg weighs 11.5oz and BCA says the gas port is drilled 0.093.
I also checked the gas rings (they were properly aligned), gave the bolt a good clean and oiled it up. I also put tape on one mag so I can tell them apart.
I tried manually cycling a mag and the 20 rnds in the mag all fed and ejected cleanly.
I am now wondering if there is a chance the buffer is too light?
View Quote

Your symptoms sound more like too much buffer, than too little buffer.

Failure on extractions & feeding along with failure to lock bolt back sound more like not enough push back than too much push.

Is the action extra violent or pitching empties across the county?

I'd trend more toward about gas port - gas tube (getting enough gas back to the bolt) than the buffer too light & too much BCG speed.

Link Posted: 6/2/2021 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Bigger_hammer thanks again for your advice.  If I recall correctly ejection was between 3 and 4 o'clock and normal distance. The action didn't feel particularly violent but I will keep an eye out for that.
I am going to not change anything yet until I get back out on the range, I only have 30 or so rounds through it, so really needs more break-in.
Next week I will have a chance to get back out to the range and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#32]
I went with a Billet Rifle Systems lower for my AR in 7.62 Russian.

It uses AK magazines, and it's been 100% reliable.

Since I did my own build (it was an 80% lower), I had to machine out metal in the upper receiver to allow the magazine to insert higher (the AK magazine is just a couple of millimeters too wide to fit into the AR15 upper, coming from the mag well).

Both Palmetto arms and BRS sell uppers that are made to accommodate AK mags without modification ($$).

I think the hybrid systems that use AK magazines for an AR rifle are the ones that give the least trouble, but I acknowledge that lots of people here have gotten their standard AR to operate very well
in this caliber, with magazines designed for optimal performance in 7.62.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Bigger_hammer thanks again for your advice.  If I recall correctly ejection was between 3 and 4 o'clock and normal distance. The action didn't feel particularly violent but I will keep an eye out for that.
I am going to not change anything yet until I get back out on the range, I only have 30 or so rounds through it, so really needs more break-in.
Next week I will have a chance to get back out to the range and see how it goes.
View Quote

@SirRAM

Something I'd highly recommend is to get a 7.62x39 chamber brush & solvent and CLEAN the Chamber very very well & check it's condition.  

Reliability Problems can occur when switching back & forth between brass & steel cartridges - a benefit of Chamber cleaning with solvents is to get any 'gunk' (powder residue or brass - steel - lead particles) OUT of the chamber.

Also you want to check in the chamber for rough marks or ridges from tool marks or other manufactory defects.   Gun Makers have been slamming stuff together recently to meet unprecedented demand, so it always possible you got a bad one from the batch.  I used a small steel dental pick to VERY VERY GENTLY run back and forth in a friends 6.5 grendel to find that the maker had left several noticeable "reamer rings" in the chamber when making the barrel that were hanging up fired cartridges at ejection when they fireformed to the chamber and those "reamer rings" added resistance which resisted extraction.

If you continue having issues - definitely Contact Bear Creek Arms and tell them what is going on. - I think they have a pretty solid warranty so use it if you have issues. Don't spend YOUR Money on THEIR problem. It could be a gas port / gas block or other issue not readily seen by the average user.  Since you have BCA Upper & BCG - send them BOTH and let them sort out what is going on - It's part of their QC to learn if there are production defects or issues - but they have to know there is a problem to fix it - right?

Good Luck Buddy!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I did give the barrel a clean with a 30 cal brush and solvents plus patches as well as running my 5.56 chamber brush in the chamber followed by star pads with solvent till clean. When I was done I tested it by holding the upper pointed down and dropping a round in, it chambered without catching and then when I flipped the upper pointing up the round dropped out of the chamber easily. (Read that test on here)
BCA has been stellar customer service wise, I got their side charger first and it got damaged in shipping and the hand guard was lose because the castlenut was slightly off index, dropped an email and had a fedex lable in a few hours and a new one on the way. I will reach out to them if problems continue.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:23:21 AM EDT
[#35]
SirRAM-
Try a lighter buffer spring. I had very similar issues using those same mags with my recent carbine build. At first, it was with brass (Prvi) but not steel (wolf) The second to last and last round were giving me fits.stove pipes, and other Short stroke symptoms. It would pass the 'single round in mag' short stroke test though. I had a standard psa spring and buffer. I tried that spring and an H1. i switched to an H3. No go. I switched to a blue springco (enhanced) spring and the H3. Things got worse. The last round would not go into battery in either steel or brass with a large dent on the brass rims. Finally I went the other direction and put in a yellow (RP) spring co and the H1. That solved it. Just a guess what it may be... Those magazines appear to have a loose follower tolerance which probably helps it with the high capacity feed but causes a side load/alignment issue with the last round or two with certain ammo. The lighter buffer spring buys the mag some time. (Incidentally, my friend lent me an ASC 10 rounder and I had no issues, even when I switched everything back to original configuration.) If you compare the rear channel notch on the follower between those mags there is a difference. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#36]
BigThicketAR thanks for sharing your experience, it is much appreciated, especially the specific spring you used.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Update: range day today

60 rounds steel cased wolf performance fmj ran through flawlessly from full 20 rnd mags, with no difference between the 2 duramags

20 rounds belom brass fmj produced 2 fail to feeds, no rhyme or reason, midway like rnd 6 and 12.

I guess my only problem is that I have 80 rounds of the belom left.

It is a really fun gun to shoot, loud af with the 10.5" barrel, pretty decent groups for me and friend with a red dot. Definitely a blaster!
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Good to Hear!!!  

While a lot of purists look at a 7.62x39 AR as being neither Fish nor Fowl, they are pretty FUN ...

Glad it's running and you are smiling!

I had issues with an AR when I'd change back & forth between Steel Cased & Brass Cased ammo.  The steel doesn't expand as much, so it lets more powder & crud into the chamber.

If you shoot brass in that dirty chamber - it fireforms to that gunk and it can case extraction issues.   That was why I suggested a good chamber cleaning.

I run my 7.62x39 ARs on only Steel (except for hunting when they get some  Federal 123 JSP for piggie popping fun Fun FUN!!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 6/12/2021 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a factory Olympic 16 inch carbine that I bought back when Obummer was in office. The carbine works great and I have had no issues with it. That said I have less than 1k through it. Bagged a buck a few years ago with it.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top