Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/27/2023 6:38:42 PM EDT
On my journey to build a Colt 629/630 clone, I bought an aluminum carbine buttstock from tonyscustomllc and didn't realize it's not coated, just anodized grey (I assumed that a "retro" aluminum stock would be coated - my bad). Is there any method to duplicate the coating in home conditions? And, does anyone know what technology was used back then to do the coating? Was it dipped, sprayed...?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Vinyl is a myth. It was nylon.

The stocks were powder coated with it, probably using a fluidized bed dip instead of a spray.

Many powder coating places still offer nylon coating.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Nylon? So some kind of polyamide coating? Interesting. Do you have any sources for that? Since I'm mainly looking for some finish that will at least resemble the original coating, it's not so important, but I would like to know more about these guns.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]
If you build a XM177E1 you can get away with the anodized stock. The E1’s for the most part didn’t have the coating that the E2’s and later models using the aluminum stock had.

Just FYI.

Otherwise the ACE makes a very nice coated stock.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you build a XM177E1 you can get away with the anodized stock. The E1’s for the most part didn’t have the coating that the E2’s and later models using the aluminum stock had.

Just FYI.

View Quote

+1 on the Ace.   JSE has the best prices and $4.00 flat rate shipping.   I’m real happy with the one I ordered.    They’re OOS at the moment, but they re-stock frequently.  https://www.jsesurplus.com/aceessentialretrocoatedaluminumcarbuttstockwoutbufferandspring.aspx
Note: the supplied castle nut has the smaller hole, so my current spanner wrench doesn’t fit.    Brownells has the proper wrench for $30.00, but I’m holding out for other options.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just FYI.

View Quote

Since I have a 11,5" barrel (Brownells), I need to make E2 or GAU-5A, depending on which upper I manage to get. Still waiting for Brownells to restock their retro series (and they seem to carry the slickside upper without forward assist only).
Yes, I know there are other sources to get the correct stock. I may get one of them in the end. I just don't like the idea of wasting money on another stock if I could "fix" the one I have.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Since I have a 11,5" barrel (Brownells), I need to make E2 or GAU-5A, depending on which upper I manage to get. Still waiting for Brownells to restock their retro series (and they seem to carry the slickside upper without forward assist only).
Yes, I know there are other sources to get the correct stock. I may get one of them in the end. I just don't like the idea of wasting money on another stock if I could "fix" the one I have.
View Quote

Then I believe a good option would be to get it powder coated.  Probably black semi gloss.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://www.jsesurplus.com/aceessentialretrocoatedaluminumcarbuttstockwoutbufferandspring.aspx
Note: the supplied castle nut has the smaller hole, so my current spanner wrench doesn’t fit.    Brownells has the proper wrench for $30.00, but I’m holding out for other options.  
View Quote

I used a spanner wrench I got from numrich and it fits just fine. I forget how much it was but I wanna say it was under 10 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nylon? So some kind of polyamide coating? Interesting. Do you have any sources for that? Since I'm mainly looking for some finish that will at least resemble the original coating, it's not so important, but I would like to know more about these guns.
View Quote

Product Improvement Test of Submachine Gun, 5.56mm, XM177E2

US Army Final Report on the XM177E2. References to the nylon coating start on page 5 and continue throughout the report.

The earlier XM177E1 stock was simply anodized grey like the receivers. The nylon coating offered superior corrosion resistance.

A lot of people also parrot that the barrel length increase was for "more backpressure to cycle better" and that's also a myth according to reports. It's longer simply because they wanted to mount a grenade launcher to it.

These reports have only been made available to the public in the last  6 or 7 years. People make up a lot of stuff in the absence of fact.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Product Improvement Test of Submachine Gun, 5.56mm, XM177E2

US Army Final Report on the XM177E2. References to the nylon coating start on page 5 and continue throughout the report.

The earlier XM177E1 stock was simply anodized grey like the receivers. The nylon coating offered superior corrosion resistance.

A lot of people also parrot that the barrel length increase was for "more backpressure to cycle better" and that's also a myth according to reports. It's longer simply because they wanted to mount a grenade launcher to it.

These reports have only been made available to the public in the last  6 or 7 years. People make up a lot of stuff in the absence of fact.
View Quote

That is a very interesting read.  A lot of info in there that is NOT said in the forums, instead we hear a lot of myths, as you noted.  I also found this interesting.....

I have always read it wasn't a sound suppressor. it would just change the tone.  Well, here it is, in black and white that they call it a "noise-Flash Suppressor"
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 12:52:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I did this old alloy Bushmaster in a couple heavy coats of Brownells Alumahide II, and think it turned out pretty well
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Vinyl is a myth. It was nylon.

The stocks were powder coated with it, probably using a fluidized bed dip instead of a spray.

Many powder coating places still offer nylon coating.
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes
I did roll my own with that exact stock from Tonys customer uppers. I replaced the latch pin with usgi one and did norrell's moly resin gray-black  on the buffer tube. The stock body and latch I did in hi-temp gloss black spray paint and baked it.  At the time this was the only option I had. Maybe not as nice as the Essential arms stock or ones available now.
But I’ve been satisfied with how it came out and held up over the last 7ish years, granted I haven’t thrown it down the driveway...yet
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:06:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the link, that report is insteresting read for sure!
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I've not used them, but Plastidip and Flex Seal might be an option.  

No idea as to durability.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Cerakote is another option.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 12:10:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've not used them, but Plastidip and Flex Seal might be an option.  

No idea as to durability.
View Quote

Flex Seal is an interesting idea.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I did this old alloy Bushmaster in a couple heavy coats of Brownells Alumahide II, and think it turned out pretty well
https://i.imgur.com/v9DraHc.jpg
View Quote

I did this on my Tonys stock too, probably 5 or 6 coats though to give it a thick look. Semi gloss black. Looks great.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I did this on my Tonys stock too, probably 5 or 6 coats though to give it a thick look. Semi gloss black. Looks great.
View Quote

that's about how I did mine, first coat was just sort of lightly dusted on, followed by 4-5 heavy coats and allowed to cure for a few days

went from having a crinkle finish of the original to the smooth finish
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice, except that Brownells doesn't seem to carry that paint anymore (at least not on their local site - I can't look for it on their home US site, as it will always redirect me to local)
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice, except that Brownells doesn't seem to carry that paint anymore (at least not on their local site - I can't look for it on their home US site, as it will always redirect me to local)
View Quote

Here's the URL maybe that will help you out...just copy and paste it into your search bar if the link doesn't work

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/paint-metal-prep/paint-finishing/aluma-hyde-ii/
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#21]
By crackedcornish:[/b]

Here's the URL maybe that will help you out...just copy and paste it into your search bar if the link doesn't work

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/paint-metal-prep/paint-finishing/aluma-hyde-ii/
View Quote

Brownells for some weird reason does not want us to vistit your site.. it has been this way for the last few years

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Brownells for some weird reason does not want us to vistit your site.. it has been this way for the last few years

https://i.postimg.cc/BnL3Mq13/IMG-2166.jpg
View Quote

well that stinks...

here's the product info, maybe it will help when contacting a European rep. ...good luck

12 oz Semi-Gloss Black Aerosol
Brownells #083002112
MFR #1A29S205
UPC 050806101623
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

well that stinks...

here's the product info, maybe it will help when contacting a European rep. ...good luck

12 oz Semi-Gloss Black Aerosol
Brownells #083002112
MFR #1A29S205
UPC 050806101623
View Quote

Thanks, I found some on ebay, but so far no seller would ship to CZ. Also found it on Amazon, where it's marked as currently unavailable. I've sent the product code to local Brownells branch, asking if there's a way to custom order it from their US stores. I guess it has something to do with the legal problems of shipping pressured aerosol cans, such as paint. It requires some sort of hazmat license and maybe Brownells doesn't think it's worth the trouble for couple cans of paint they could sell in Europe. I've checked their local site and they don't seem to carry even gun cleaning products in aerosol cans, all is just pump-spray, except for maybe one Hoppes product.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#24]
It is as I thought, Brownells doesn't ship these to Europe due to transportation legal reasons. Guess I'll either have to find a similar product here, or find someone who would take a 1-piece order to do the polyamide coating.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top