Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/11/2022 9:27:11 AM EDT
I do not want a 25 Sharps and I'm thinking the 257 Ocelot is bested by the Raptor.  The man behind the 257 Raptor I think is really on to a better option for hunting use.

Right now, the 7mm Raptor seems to be the main one with availability and some 'press'.  Any "real world" user reports on this one would be appreciated.  Especially against feral hogs!

TIA,
Sid
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven’t heard of any in the wild. I have a 25-223ar and 25x68, so I follow quarter-bores.

I don’t see how the Raptor is better than the Ocelot other than the fireforming aspect. It’s an extremely efficient cartridge (basically a shortened 25 TCU) even in short barrels.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Not being familiar with those two .257 cartridges you named I did some research. I don't see any advantage over the 25-223. I was getting just over 3,000 fps with Sierra 90gr bullets from a 20" barrel. This beats a normal 250 Savage from the Savage 99 rifle which is a tried/true deer & antelope combo in So.Dakota. We have a number of old timers who swear by the 250 Savage with the Sierra 90gr bullet.

What I'd love to see is an AR15 receiver that's 1/2" longer in the magwell. Combine with a cartridge midway in diameter between the .223 and .308, shortened up a bit in .257. Idea is to get 300 fps more velocity and/or launch the heavier .25's faster. All in a package the size and weight of an average rifle size AR, without the weight and size of the 308 receiver and bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...What I'd love to see is an AR15 receiver that's 1/2" longer in the magwell. ....
View Quote
Is the LWRC SIX8 close to what you're looking for?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:45:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the LWRC SIX8 close to what you're looking for?
View Quote

Yes, but what do you do for magazines?  If someone would make a steel magazine to allow longer overall lengths, wildcatters would jump on the Six8 DI receiver bandwagon.

At one time, there were three companies besides LWRC making receiver sets available.  Unfortunately, no one made magazines that really made sense to me.  

A few people windowed some standard 6.8SPC magazines but, used standard AR-15 uppers so, the gains were pretty small and super-specialized.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top