Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/7/2023 1:46:21 PM EDT
I am not looking for a 257 Sharps or 257 Ocelot but, specifically a 257 Raptor!  Arne knows what he is doing for a hunting round, and the 257 Raptor is superior to me for my "real world" use for killing stuff on my property or possibly hunting during the correct seasons.

I have considered a 7mm Raptor but, I want more velocity for the hydrostatic shock on smaller predators (watch the red mist fly!) than I would get with the heavier 7mm options.  A 7mm Raptor might be better against larger critters like deer but, a 257 Raptor will work there just fine!

Raptor Shooting Systems, Arne's storefront, seems to have suffered a lot during COVID, and I wish him the best to restore things to their prior glory.  His recommended gunsmith seems to have suffered a similar fate or perhaps, like some others, has been sucked up in the COVID shortages and was absorbed into someone else operation for the time being.
  • Who has a 257 Raptor reamer and can spin me a barrel?
  • Who can build me a complete upper?
  • Who has dies and similar gear?
Do any 7 Raptor users care to comment on my thoughts and options?

TIA,
Sid
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not seen anything updated in a long time.

Decided on the 25x68 from Ritch instead.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Decided on the 25x68 from Ritch instead.
View Quote

How's the 25x68 working for you?
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How's the 25x68 working for you?
View Quote

I haven’t had the time to really experiment too much with it. But I killed a mtn lion this year with it. 85gr BT at 3k fps. 18” barrel, suppressed.

What I like about this cartridge is it’s a very easy wildcat that doesn’t require fireforming, which in this day and age I see as a waste of my time (which is really limited) and a waste of precious components. This is why I got rid of some of my other cats.

The 25x68 is a 250 Savage. That’s the way to look at it. But with the faster twist, it can handle longer bullets.

If I’m drawn for deer this year, I will work on load development more.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The .25SPC was submitted to SAAMI in 2017? It was optimized to the Hornady 117gr. SST bullet. Which had a side benefit of very reliably feeding into the chamber? I cannot report the mass of the powder charge, but I know it used H322. I also do not know the length of the barrel, but the muzzle velocity was 2800"/sec. The questions were reported as statements, however, I can not attest to the veracity of the claim.

The 257WildCat AKA 2Fity-Hillbilly produces AWESOME numbers. But it will NOT fit into anything smaller than an AR-10. I suspect a gas semi repeater, will not quite generate the same numbers.

DB

Link Posted: 5/3/2023 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The .25SPC was submitted to SAAMI in 2017? It was optimized to the Hornady 117gr. SST bullet. Which had a side benefit of very reliably feeding into the chamber? I cannot report the mass of the powder charge, but I know it used H322. I also do not know the length of the barrel, but the muzzle velocity was 2800"/sec. The questions were reported as statements, however, I can not attest to the veracity of the claim.

The 257WildCat AKA 2Fity-Hillbilly produces AWESOME numbers. But it will NOT fit into anything smaller than an AR-10. I suspect a gas semi repeater, will not quite generate the same numbers.

DB

View Quote

I remember reading that on the 68 forums but there is no way a 117 is going 2800 unless it’s an ultra long barrel. I got 2850 with 100gr sierras.

Regarding the 2fity-Hillbilly that is now the 25 Creedmoor which is a large frame cartridge and awesome when paired with the new 130+ gr high BC bullets for long range applications.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#6]
what about 25 Souper
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:01:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
what about 25 Souper
View Quote

Not an AR15 cartridge, it’s a 308 necked to 25.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:21:34 AM EDT
[#8]
VeritatisUnus, I should have remembered the source. The 6.8forum has on occasion generated some impressive numbers. HOWEVER, physics will not be denied. If you are pushing a mass faster than anticipated, you are doing so at a higher pressure.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#9]
oh ok, when I read raptor I assumed it was of the same family of the 375 raptor based off the .308 case.

pardon my ignorance but what would the 257 Raptor offer over the 25-45 sharps, 25-223, or 257 ocelot? there all very close in terms of case capacity?

I mean I have no room to talk lol. I did something between a 6x45 and 6mm mongoose but that was because I wanted a shorter case for the heavy for caliber high BC bullets.

aka my 24 Mamba AR

Also if for sploding critters wouldn't a 6mm be a better choice just from a bullet selection standpoint alone?
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#10]
All the non-308/6.8SPC based options are variations of the 5.56 case.

The 257 Raptor is optimized a bit for hunting and shooting a wider selection of bullets than the Oscelot and Sharps.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top