Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2021 9:17:58 AM EDT
I have a FRT in my a DOE 9 and it's pretty awesome.

Got me thinking, are there any 22 conversions that cycle the whole bolt that I could run the FRT in that too?

The ones I'm used to seeing the bolt carrier is fixed and a smaller bolt travels within.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#1]
not that I'm aware of, and I've been shooting conversions for years. the 22 doesn't make enough recoil energy to move much mass
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Got me thinking, are there any 22 conversions that cycle the whole bolt that I could run the FRT in that too?

The ones I'm used to seeing the bolt carrier is fixed and a smaller bolt travels within.
View Quote

Even with an auto sear trip, there is just not enough mass/inertia there to reset the trigger against finger pressure.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok. That stinks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not a conversion; it's a dedicated 22lr rifle.  I don't know whether the FRT would work in a Tippman rifle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Taccom is working on something.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Lakeside belt feds cycle the bolt.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:19:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lakeside belt feds cycle the bolt.
View Quote

It's on my radar.  I missed the one on gunbroker yesterday.  I sent the seller a question and it sold before I got a response.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Didn’t even see that auction.  Factory F/A bolt on that one even. That is what you would need.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Didn’t even see that auction.  Factory F/A bolt on that one even. That is what you would need.
View Quote

I know. I'm pissed at myself for not just buying it. Was on for just a couple hours.  I sent the guy a question about his payment options and how soon he could ship.  See, I was just hesitant because he only had 7 feedbacks, and I'm not completely sold on the gunbroker promise, seems like it would be easy to get swindled on there and I don't have a lot of feedback myself.  Thing was factory fresh too.  I showed it to my wife and she said just buy it! Haha figures, that's what happens when I spin my wheels.   Whatever maybe it was a blessing.

BTW if you know of a belt upper for sale send them my way I'm looking.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#10]
There was a guy in this fourm I thought that had gotten a CMMG with a sear trip equipped bolt to run his FRT?

He added a brass and tungsten anti bounce weights to it to get it to reliably reset and trip the locking bar.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

BTW if you know of a belt upper for sale send them my way I'm looking.
View Quote

Would not want to dissuade you, they really are fun, but they are finicky. If you really want one I would post up a WTB add. Here, Sturm, 1919a4 etc.

Just make sure it includes all the pieces and parts you think you will need. Not easy to find any of it. Belts, loading kit, etc.

Eric (Lakeside) periodically finds odds and ends and posts them up on gunbroker.

PS. I picked up both an LM-7 and Razorback off of Sturm
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There was a guy in this fourm I thought that had gotten a CMMG with a sear trip equipped bolt to run his FRT?

He added a brass and tungsten anti bounce weights to it to get it to reliably reset and trip the locking bar.
View Quote

Several have and one guy was nice enough to compile the mods...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18LoQ3-tV3gtSNURjyPtqmbc3S23pfA5PSwMuz3ByWEk/htmlview
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#13]
While the second of Max Atchisson's .22 conversions (the MkII/III version, U.S. Patent No. 4169329) for the AR-15 and M16 is the version that he sold all the right to J.A, Ciener in 1993 and after the expiration of the patent has since been made by a number of companies such as Spike's Tactical, CMMG, Target Master, Tactical Innovations to name a few is the one most common; the Atchisson MkI version (U.S. Patent No. 3776095) linked here:
https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&docid=03776095&IDKey=F632086040A8&HomeUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fpatft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fnph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO1%2526Sect2%3DHITOFF%2526d%3DPALL%2526p%3D1%2526u%3D%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsrchnum.htm%2526r%3D1%2526f%3DG%2526l%3D50%2526s1%3D3776095.PN.%2526OS%3DPN%2F3776095%2526RS%3DPN%2F3776095
did have a "whole bolt" with anti-bounce cylindrical weights longitudinally positioned as seen in Figure 3.  These conversions come up for sale occasionally on Gunbroker.

Also, in 2013 a guy (IIRC, on UziTalk) took a Ciener version of the MkII/III conversion and welded "D" shaped pieces of steel to the rear of the MkII/III bolt and essentially mimicked the MkI bolt, but without the anti-bounce weights.  To provide anti-bounce for full auto (or other rapid fire) operation, he installed the so-called "ball-detent mod".

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer; and I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments.  Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 12:16:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Would like to see one of those. Looks like the taccom flavor of bolts. Thank you for that
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:50:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, the FRT-15 runs fine with a CMMG setup using the autosear trip and the proper anti-bounce weight (Bore Buddy).  You can watch videos of people using the FRT-15 with .22LR uppers.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes, the FRT-15 runs fine with a CMMG setup using the autosear trip and the proper anti-bounce weight (Bore Buddy).  You can watch videos of people using the FRT-15 with .22LR uppers.
View Quote

I actually got one if these, but it broke first time out, the as trip cracked and a piece fell off the side.

Luckily CMMG is awesome and sent me two replacement which should be here this Saturday.  So I'll get another chance to try it this weekend still!

Fingers crossed it works out.  Seriously itching for some rapid fire suppressed 22 fun.

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:02:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Ballistic Bliss had a YouTube channel that explained running a CMMG .22 upper with the FRT and how he got there, but his channel recently mysteriously disappeared.  Too bad, it was very informative for 9mm and 22 use with the FRT.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm under the impression his channel will be back eventually...everyone is nervous about the FRT issues right now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 5:06:29 AM EDT
[#19]
BTW, here's a few videos of my friends shooting some KPF (Kuehl Precision Firearms from back in the day, he stopped when CMMG started doing .22lr) uppers I had which used dedicated barrels and the standard atchisson kits (same as CMMG but from Ciener) that had the chamber adaptors removed, on an M16 lower using Ciener's converted 30rd metal Bingham mags.  The short upper is suppressed.  I used the OEM anti-bounce weight and auto-sear trip and my kits ran great. The bursts didn't have to be that long, I could do 3 round bursts easily with those kits. Those uppers got stolen so I'm starting over using a CMMG kit, Borebuddy's adjustable anti-bounce weight system, and an autosear trip just like Ballistic Bliss did - with the RB FRT.  I still have the M16 but I'm determined to do the same with an FRT.  I don't know which I miss more, those two uppers or the $10 bricks of rimfire ammo I had by the case

Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJPGuGSwypqvnxvFy0-WcqA

Looks like he's back with a couple videos.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice, two videos on the two things he found necessary to run the .22lr with the FRT!  The Bore Buddy adjustable anti-bounce weight, and timing the auto sear trip.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top