Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2022 10:42:49 AM EDT
Got a clone build I'd like to use a 80% lower for.

Sadly my state no longer allows 80s. Politics aside, anyone know any FFLs that do/would offer finishing/milling of a 80% as a service?

Would be great if they finish/mark in magwell or pistol grip.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Sadly my state no longer allows 80s. Politics aside, anyone know any FFLs that do/would offer finishing/milling of a 80% as a service?

View Quote

A generic "FFL" cannot do this - it requires a manufacturer FFL (Type 07), and the manufacturer would have to mark it with their information and serialize it like any other federally licensed manufacturer of firearms.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Sell it and buy a stripped lower, unless you live in a commie state.

What OP suggests is like selling the horses and wondering why the cart won't move.

ETA:  Now I sees it.  I suggest Ryder over Uhaul.  Get to it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Appreciate the responses.

Understood on the 07 and the fact they have to serialize it. That's why I referenced the magwell and/or pistol grip area.

To reiterate this is for cloning. This is pretty much the only route I can go to get something thats close to accurate.

Would any Ole lower work, of course. But this again is for a clone rifle where the devil is in the details.

Appreciate any constructive tips. Also a quick look at my handle will show that yes I am in a "commie" state.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems like a state ban on 80% would be less enforceable than a lot of other laws which fly in the face of recent SCOTUS precedent.

Are you concerned about obtaining the 80% blank or with possessing the homemade AR that you build with it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems like a state ban on 80% would be less enforceable than a lot of other laws which fly in the face of recent SCOTUS precedent.

Are you concerned about obtaining the 80% blank or with possessing the homemade AR that you build with it?
View Quote

Neither, the mfg of the clone correct 80% lower refuses to ship to my state period. Like I said politics aside, need a solution.

Which currently would hopefully be mfg ship to thos 07 ffl for completion of the lower, then I get it transfered thru my local FFL.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think you're likely to find any 07 Manufacturer in NY state willing to play this game, but good luck.

Your best bet is to find someone willing to sell one of the differently-marked complete lowers, then have your period correct engravings added to it after the fact. See if you can find something like this - either new or used:

Alternatively, perhaps you could contact one of the retro custom smiths, like John Thomas, and see if he'll make you a period-correct lower marked like the one pictured above, or perhaps down the front of the magwell, or the receiver inside the trigger area, and transfer it to your NY FFL as a complete lower receiver? Such custom work is likely to cost you, a lot, though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't have to be just an 07 in NY.

If any 07 offer the milling, my FFL instate will accept the transfer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#8]
it will be cheaper / easier to just buy a finished lower
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Neither, the mfg of the clone correct 80% lower refuses to ship to my state period. Like I said politics aside, need a solution.

Which currently would hopefully be mfg ship to thos 07 ffl for completion of the lower, then I get it transfered thru my local FFL.
View Quote

That's problem #1 that I mentioned. You can't obtain the blank.
Do you want to do it yourself?
Will various site sponsors ship jigs and tooling to NY?

Then the only problem is with the logistics of getting the 80% blank in your hands.

If you don't want to do it yourself, then I can ask my local 07 if he finishes AR lowers, and how much he'd charge to finish a lower you have sent to him and send it to your receiving FFL. If price is agreeable, then you're just have to agree on markings. Or maybe an Arfcom 07 will do the job.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Got a clone build I'd like to use a 80% lower for.

View Quote

Sent you an IM.  Can help you out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#11]
What clone lower are you looking for?  

https://intlmilco.com/
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 1:02:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I've used LMG Firearms in Milford, OH

Milled out my C8A3 lower and marked under the trigger pocket. Came out great

Still need to send it to HRW to do that sweet Colt Canada Grey anodizing
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 1:41:39 AM EDT
[#13]
So what changes for 80% lowers after 24 Aug?

What I read they just can't be sold with a jig.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 2:12:50 AM EDT
[#14]
They will be considered a firearm and must be serialized & other BATF marking requirements, by a licensed manufacturer.  So owning an 80% is not illegal, but selling one will be.  Jig or no jig is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#16]
The Ghost Gunner really does not like anodized 80% lowers. They are a PITA to complete and the FCG might end up a few thousandths off center.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They will be considered a firearm and must be serialized & other BATF marking requirements, by a licensed manufacturer.  So owning an 80% is not illegal, but selling one will be.  Jig or no jig is irrelevant.
View Quote
Looks like they won't be selling 80% lowers after 24 Aug without a serial #.

Few buddies been calling me asking how to buy a lower, told them months ago they need to stock up.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top