Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/1/2020 10:21:39 AM EDT
Lately I've been coming across a lot of articles about replacing the trigger assembly on AR's, a new build, yeah I can see that , also if you're really into competitive shooting, but replacing an existing assembly that works fine with a $200.00 assy? Having a suspicious mind, I start wondering if this is just an attempt to sell overly expensive sub assemblies? As far as shooting my AR I'd class myself as "casual." Seriously though, are OEM trigger assemblies really that bad, or is this just another ploy to see how expensive you can make your rifle?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Swapping triggers is the single best modification you can make to an AR that has a mill spec or improved mil spec trigger.

Decent triggers start at about $85 on sale for the Larue MBT. I prefer the Gisele G2S in the same general category  for about $135, less on sale.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I promise you its not just an attempt to sell something expensive. There is a marked difference in a basic milspec trigger and and "expensive" one. Now some people might not care about that difference ,and thats ok, but there is a difference. I dont know how much a milspec trigger costs really, but you cant get an ALG, which is a polished milspec for like 40 or 50 bucks and I doubt thats much more expensive that your average high quality milspec trigger. You can get a larue MBT for 80 bucks and thats going to be a big difference over a milspec and then after that your into Geisilee territory. Now I have a Geisilee and its great, but Ive only compared it to the stock trigger in my colt..night and day. I cant speak for how much better it is over a larue, yet.

There is a lot of things you can get for the AR that are expensive that arent going to be a lot of benefit for most people....a trigger inst one...dont skimp on a trigger.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Well there you go, ask a question... I've got a CORE 15 AR and honestly never thought trigger pull was a big problem, however what you guys are telling me makes sense, guess I've got some rethinking to do Thanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SportsterGuy:
Well there you go, ask a question... I've got a CORE 15 AR and honestly never thought trigger pull was a big problem, however what you guys are telling me makes sense, guess I've got some rethinking to do Thanks
View Quote

The best of my LGSs (Local Gun Stores) has different triggers mounted in lower to try. Maybe one of yours does too?

You will be very surprised by how significant the improvement, I suspect.

I’m a Geissle triggers but the MBT is nice and it’s affordable, especially if you get one while they are on sale. The two stage is the one to go with, imo.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]
The $200 trigger is worth it when you are competing, or the type of shooting you enjoy doing requires it.  

But you can get a better trigger for not much, depending on your needs.  Other than my "shoot golf balls at 200 yards" set up (Hiperfire trigger, 2.5lb pull), I've got 3 lowers all set up somewhat similar.  Two have  PSA EPT triggers in them, and while certainly better than average milspec the EPT gets even better when paired with a low power spring set.  Even if you were to just replace the FCG and springs this way, it is a $40 upgrade.  The third is my latest, and how I'll be doing all my other lowers.  I used a JoeBobOutfitters "enhanced" LPK.  Comes with a nice ambi safety w/ a 60 degree throw option, has a "no grip" option, or a "replace grip with Ergo grip" option (my choice, what I'd do anyway), and the trigger is better than the EPT trigger (sample size of 1.  anecdote != data) If you are building up a lower and buying a LPK anyway, this option (w/ Ergo grip) is about $15 more than the basic Anderson, etc LPK

After that, there are various drop ins from ALG etc. in the $60-100 range (others already mentioned up thread, but also check out the Hiperfire EDT and its ilk), but any more than that and you may as well go for broke and jump into the $200-300 range (if you do I *really* like my Hiperfire 24E).

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JPK:

The best of my LGSs (Local Gun Stores) has different triggers mounted in lower to try. Maybe one of yours does too?

You will be very surprised by how significant the improvement, I suspect.

I’m a Geissle triggers but the MBT is nice and it’s affordable, especially if you get one while they are on sale. The two stage is the one to go with, imo.
View Quote

I'm not so sure, but how do you know if things could be better if you don't have any opportunities to try, I don't want a hair trigger, but something with just a gentle squeeze would be fine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]
A quality trigger is like snapping an icicle with your finger. It’s crisp and incredible.

The Larue MBT is $85 and is widely regarded around here as the best bang for the buck. There’s dozens of great triggers, but it wins on quality vs. price.

It also completely ruined milspec triggers for me. Every AR I’ll ever use will have an upgraded trigger on it... and it’ll probably be an MBT.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By eye-gor:
Other than my "shoot golf balls at 200 yards" set up (Hiperfire trigger, 2.5lb pull), 

View Quote

Brother got me into the golf ball shooting thing years ago. Damn good fun!

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ar-15TechGuy:

Brother got me into the golf ball shooting thing years ago. Damn good fun!

View Quote

The most fun you can have playing with your gun and balls while you have your pants on!

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I have several aftermarket triggers to include a few high dollar types. Really like them. But if the deal is to be engaging multiple human targets in a rapid manner or a single one for that matter, you'll likely not notice the difference. Slow, calculated, engagements; you bet. Rapid fire, in my experience, I say not. Whether the break is like glass, single-stage or double stage, 8 lb vs 2 lb, your pull is likely gonna approach 50 (lol) as your heart rate is approaching 200. Seeing the mentioned scenario is probably to never happen for 99% of AR owners, I would encourage you to test the waters and enjoy a really sweet trigger or two. I especially like quality assemblies for their smoothness, crispness, and consistency when setting up difficult and extended distances shots.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#13]
You definitely should not get a Larue MBT2. Otherwise you’ll end up with them in all of your rifles.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By leftytheking:
A quality trigger is like snapping an icicle with your finger. It’s crisp and incredible.

The Larue MBT is $85 and is widely regarded around here as the best bang for the buck. There’s dozens of great triggers, but it wins on quality vs. price.

It also completely ruined milspec triggers for me. Every AR I’ll ever use will have an upgraded trigger on it... and it’ll probably be an MBT.
View Quote

Came here to type this
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#15]
A <$100 2-stage is worth at least 0.2 MOA mean radius, when averaging Standing, Sitting, and Prone at moderate pace.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an ALG ACT trigger on one of my ARs and like it alot. It is a great value.

I also have a Geissele SSA-E, RRA 2 Stage, MBT 2S, CMC Flat (3 LB?) and some mil spec triggers. So I have different ones. They all have their place.

If you don't want to spend alot, the ALG ACT is a good start. I think that you should start with the less expensive trigger because most guys end up getting more than one AR and then get a more expensive trigger if they want.

A friend of mine has a Larue MBT 1S, I don't think is is as nice of a single stage as the MBT 2S is a two stage.

Edit: punctuation
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are used to a mil-spec trigger, I'd also suggest the ALG ACT trigger. It's a huge improvement, but not too costly and is still a single stage, so it will feel familiar.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Are you on the east side or west side of the murder mitten? I have a few colts with ssa-e’s, a factory lmt to compare that to, a national match Geissele, and the g x bow in the super duty. You can always finger f them if you’re close and find a range somewhere.

So, here’s the deal. I told my shooting buddy (idpa) about G stuff when he built his and he puked when I told him the triggers were around $200 each (probably have 10 by now?). The next range day, we brought ar’s and I threw him mine. He clicked the safety off and I told him give it a slow steady smooth pull and do it while counting to 2 from start to bang. His first words were “GD that just cost me a lot of money” and ordered that night.

You don’t know until you get it, but when you get one they multiply
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 4:55:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You definitely should not get a Larue MBT2. Otherwise you’ll end up with them in all of your rifles.
View Quote

Well chosen words.  I am very OCD so keeping all of my rifles consistent, stocks, triggers, grips, etc...

In addition an outstanding buy for the money.  I am not a trigger snob, I dike the consistent pull and break of MBT, 2S, not so much the MBT 1S.  For single stage, the Geissele SSP is top notch for me.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I compare it to inserts for your shoes. You have a pair of work boots and everyone is like “Mehmehmeh, you need insoles, they’re the best, mehmehmeh.”

And you’re like, “my boots are fine and I’m sick of hearing about this.” Then you try it and then it’s “ahhhhhh that feels great- OH NOW I GET IT”
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#21]
For my knock around rifles especially, I like to try & keep the FCG, lets say milspec-ish.  The more moving parts & stuff, the more that can go wrong.  I only spent $80 an a Hiperfire EDT trigger & it is was a HUGE improvement.  While I don't expect all my guns are going to group sub .5MOA groups all the way out to 500, 600 or 800m, I do want them to be solid MOA out to 2-300m & if they perform better than that, it's even better still.  My builds the main things I usually spend the most on are the barrel & trigger, that's where you'll get the best bang for your buck IMO.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

With respect, I humbly disagree.  For $85 it is a vast improvement over the mil spec type AR trigger, but it is not one size fits all.  

For precision shooting it does not compare to the 1.2 lb second stage 3.5 lb total pull through Geissele SSA-E, and certainly not the Geissele Hi Speed National Match, whose second stage can be set down in the ounces.

Fit the weapon (trigger choice included) to the mission.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 5:08:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quit saying the Milspec is not a shit bag trigger. It is crap. If you think otherwise you have no taste and anything you say is suspect. An ALG just makes it a less shit trigger, but it still is heavy and not good at all... still has a lil creep and 6-8 pound pull.

Quit saying a Larue MBT 2S is $85. Its only $80, $75, or $70 depending on how many you buy. It is LIGHT YEARS beyond a milspec trigger in every way. You can shoot better faster up close and better for precision at range. guaranteed. You are a fool if you dont try one. It should cost at least $150. You could buy two for that. Its crazy. I have many milspec triggers in the parts bin. I wont put them in my stripped lowers. They are free handouts for others who are too poor to buy an $80 trigger.

Most of my triggers are Geissele. If I come across a rifle with a milspec there is no question it will at least get a Larue. I bought 3 more today. I dont even need one... just afraid Larue will come to their senses and charge what they are worth.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Drop-in Triggers are easier to install and have a consistent pull weight.
The Velocity AR Trigger is a really good one.
View Quote

Are you seriously contending it is difficult to install a Geissele or Larue trigger?  This is one of the easiest modifications to an AR.

My SSA-E had extremely consistent pull weight.

I realize you are trying to sell product, but installing a trigger group kit in an AR is really quite simple and easy. Installing is really no more difficult than removing the old one, which you have to do anyway with a drop-in.

Your drop in triggers may be fabulous, but ease of installation and consistent pull weight are weak sales points, IMO.

While the video below is by Bill Geissele, the procedure and technique is equally applicable to Larue or any AR trigger group installation.

Geissele Automatics - SSA Install - FULL VERSION

Link Posted: 7/24/2020 1:50:46 AM EDT
[#25]
One of the first aftermarket parts I installed in my Bushmaster AR-15 years ago was a Timney Comp Single Stage 3# pull trigger. Fabulous piece of kit. Over a decade of use and thousands of rounds the trigger really makes the gun a joy to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#26]
zzzz
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#27]
A Chevy Cobalt works just fine, but a Chevy Camero works much better.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Timely post as I was looking for a replacement trigger group.  Have a S&W Sport II 5.56, just ordered a Larue MBT 2s straight bow.  Want this to be a bang for the buck plinker.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Timely indeed. I came here to ask this same question. Just ordered a Larue 2 stage. Thanks for all the info.

ETA: I installed this trigger today. Worth every penny. Very smooth and light trigger when dry firing. Looking forward to taking it out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 2:40:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I promise you its not just an attempt to sell something expensive. There is a marked difference in a basic milspec trigger and and "expensive" one. Now some people might not care about that difference ,and thats ok, but there is a difference. I dont know how much a milspec trigger costs really, but you cant get an ALG, which is a polished milspec for like 40 or 50 bucks and I doubt thats much more expensive that your average high quality milspec trigger. You can get a larue MBT for 80 bucks and thats going to be a big difference over a milspec and then after that your into Geisilee territory. Now I have a Geisilee and its great, but Ive only compared it to the stock trigger in my colt..night and day. I cant speak for how much better it is over a larue, yet.

There is a lot of things you can get for the AR that are expensive that arent going to be a lot of benefit for most people....a trigger inst one...dont skimp on a trigger.
View Quote

I’d second this advice. It’s absolutely sound. I have 5 LaRue MBT2 triggers and my LaRue OBR came with a Geisilee and I can’t really tell the difference between the two.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks to everyone's advice here, I've decided to go ahead and get the MBT 2-stage trigger for my M&P15 Sport 2.

I'm a noob shooter, a couple months in and about 2,000 rounds through my AR...can't wait for this trigger.

I shoot DD iron peep-sights only, so far....my groups are getting smaller but I'm still practicing.

Can't wait to get this FCG in my rifle. Thanks!
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top