Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2021 7:48:55 PM EDT
I just left a LGS where I tried out the Vortex Spitfire AR.

I was really hoping this would "solve" the astig problem I have with red dots.

I liked the reticle, nice and crisp as I was expecting.  But...  I was seeing two targets when I had both eyes opened.

This happened with and without illumination, started to get really tiring too.

I currently have Aimpoint and Eothech optics and this "doubling doesn't occur when I shoot them.

I know everybody's gonna say I was focusing on the dot and not the targets, but I don't think I was.

Any other ideas?

I really wanted to like the Vortex, but I'm thinking my next steps should be to try a magnifier with the Aimpoints and / or try to to find an ACOG to look through (don't want to drop ACOG cash if it's going to give me doubled target as the Vortex).  

Any advice appreciated, I'm getting tired of buying stuff and selling it a while later.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you try the gen 2 or the older model that looks more like a stubby regular style scope? I have astigmatism and have the older models and I really like them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you try the gen 2 or the older model that looks more like a stubby regular style scope? I have astigmatism and have the older models and I really like them.
View Quote

I'm presuming its the new model.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have astigmatism and I thought the Primary Arms Cyclops was going to be the answer for me. I loved it, except as I used it I had the same problem as you - double image. I found it too distracting to be useful, and ended up going back to red dots and dealing with a blurry dot.

I think the issue is that prisms bend light instead of letting it pass though like a dot, meaning the images from left and right eyes don't match up perfectly.

Have you tried to use any low power prisms (2-4x)? I find that if I use a 3x prism I have around, I don't have a double vision problem using the Bindon Aiming Concept. My brain just switches to the magnified picture when I focus on the target, and goes to my other eye when "scanning." I'm thinking I might go to 2x prisms now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have astigmatism and I thought the Primary Arms Cyclops was going to be the answer for me. I loved it, except as I used it I had the same problem as you - double image. I found it too distracting to be useful, and ended up going back to red dots and dealing with a blurry dot.

I think the issue is that prisms bend light instead of letting it pass though like a dot, meaning the images from left and right eyes don't match up perfectly.

Have you tried to use any low power prisms (2-4x)? I find that if I use a 3x prism I have around, I don't have a double vision problem using the Bindon Aiming Concept. My brain just switches to the magnified picture when I focus on the target, and goes to my other eye when "scanning." I'm thinking I might go to 2x prisms now.
View Quote

Thanks for sharing your experience!

This is the first prism I've tried.  I guess I'll keep hunting.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top