Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2019 2:36:15 PM EDT
My Lower is stamped:  Caliber: Multi
Does this mean it is set up for either 5.56 or .223?  Or, does this mean something else?  Thanks in advance!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Mean that it isn't listed for a specific caliber. Depends on the barrel in the upper what caliber it will shoot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Does this mean it is set up for either 5.56 or .223?  Or, does this mean something else?  Thanks in advance!!
View Quote
Yes. 5.56 and .223 are essentially the same other than the pressure is much higher in 5.56.

The lower will not matter, you need a barrel stamped for 5.56 in order to "safely" fire either round. If it is stamped .223 DO NOT FIRE 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
Doesn't matter what is stamped on the lower.  You can put whatever you want on top.  Some lowers are stamped 5.56 but that doesn't mean you have to build 5.56 on it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Convention used to be to stamp the caliber on the lower receiver, but the AR15 platform has become so modular there are probably more than a dozen different calibers you could choose from...so it really doesn't make sense for them to stamp any particular caliber on the lower receiver.  So, they just put "multi" meaning "whatever you want"
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have only a lower receiver the ''multi'' caliber can be used with any caliber upper that works with the AR15 receiver. AR15 lowers are not made specific to any caliber. There are 9mm and .308 type receivers that differ from the AR15 receivers though. If you have a complete rifle, you need to figure out what the barrel is chambered in. 5.56 and .223 can both be shot through an AR chambered for 5.56. You need to 'make sure' what the barrel is chambered in before shooting anything through it. As mentioned, there are several different calibers that the upper may be chambered in although 5.56 is by far the most common. The ''multi'' doesn't tell you anything.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top