Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2018 2:05:40 AM EDT
I just got the green light from the Mrs. to get a riffle.
I have not shot in close to 20 yrs and gave up my riffles about 10 years back so I am starting from ground zero.
My kid is nearing the age I was when I first learned to shoot so I thought I would get back into the hobby.
For the most part, we will likely stick to the range. Hunting is an option, but very unlikely at this point.
I would prefer a 16-18" barrel, and lightweight with good balance.
I have no need to for a suppressor and just want something reliable and easy to maintain.
I am a lefty, he is a righty, though we are both left eye dominant so I would like to try to teach him to shoot lefty and I do not want a face full of gas.
Iron sights and perhaps a red dot (hopefully to make it easier for my kid to shoot from either hand) are in the budget already.
No self defense concerns.  Riffle will be stored with multiple locks and possibly a safe so there is no way I could get it ready in time anyway.
No zombie apocalypse concerns.  Though a reliable weapon I can feed is always preferable to the alternative.

A PWS with a .223 Wylde appears to hit all my wants, but they are at the top of my price range. Am I best off sticking with that option or would I be better served getting something cheaper, and and spend the savings elsewhere? Perhaps two, get a single shooter to start the boy off on.  However, if my checklist is not satisfied I may still desire to find something better and spend more in the long run.  Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 2:25:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like that you want an AR platform as opposed to lever action etc., is this correct? Maybe a Sig Sauer SIG516 Patrol, no gas in face. ~$1,500
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like that you want an AR platform as opposed to lever action etc., is this correct?
View Quote
He is on a board dedicated to ARs... Id say that was a safe bet Red dot, practice shooting w/ both eyes open. Lots of good AR on market, prices low, great time to  buy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a lefty and don't have a problem shooting a standard AR.  I don't notice any gas to the face, the brass deflector behind the ejection port keeps brass off of the forehead and the controls are easy to manipulate as a lefty. My two cents: Just get a standard AR if an AR is what you want.

I learned to shoot standard rifles and pistols and a left handed gun really messes with the muscle memory I have developed.
I do have a couple of bolt guns that are left hand and swapping back and fourth between right and left hand bolt guns just requires a little thought on which side the bolt handle is.
I swapped the mag release on a M&P to be left handed, that was unnatural from the way I had learned. I swapped it back to right hand so the mag release was in line with the other pistols I had.

I put a PSA lower together and bought a PSA assembled upper. With about 300-400 rounds through it I have no complaints, it is more accurate than I am and I haven't had any malfunctions. It was less than 600 for the parts and pieces. Might be a cool father son project to put a rifle together.

Good luck in your quest!

ETA: The only lefty mod I have on my AR is an ambi safety. I still end up reaching around the grip with my thumb to manipulate the safety, it is how I learned.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:44:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Highly suggest that you get a standard AR15 16" collapsible carbine with a flat top.  Add a ambi safety and you're good to go.  You can add a gas buster charging handle when funds allow, same with different sights (optics or irons).  Pick up a few good magazines and your set.  This rifle will be very jack of all trades to used by several members of the household.

CD
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just got the green light from the Mrs. to get a riffle.
I have not shot in close to 20 yrs and gave up my riffles about 10 years back so I am starting from ground zero.
My kid is nearing the age I was when I first learned to shoot so I thought I would get back into the hobby.
For the most part, we will likely stick to the range. Hunting is an option, but very unlikely at this point.
I would prefer a 16-18" barrel, and lightweight with good balance.
I have no need to for a suppressor and just want something reliable and easy to maintain.
I am a lefty, he is a righty, though we are both left eye dominant so I would like to try to teach him to shoot lefty and I do not want a face full of gas.
Iron sights and perhaps a red dot (hopefully to make it easier for my kid to shoot from either hand) are in the budget already.
No self defense concerns.  Riffle will be stored with multiple locks and possibly a safe so there is no way I could get it ready in time anyway.
No zombie apocalypse concerns.  Though a reliable weapon I can feed is always preferable to the alternative.

A PWS with a .223 Wylde appears to hit all my wants, but they are at the top of my price range. Am I best off sticking with that option or would I be better served getting something cheaper, and and spend the savings elsewhere? Perhaps two, get a single shooter to start the boy off on.  However, if my checklist is not satisfied I may still desire to find something better and spend more in the long run.  Any recommendations?
View Quote
You have not been back.
Either momma took back her hall pass, or someone stoned you for putting 2 Fs in the word rifle.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You have not been back.
Either momma took back her hall pass, or someone stoned you for putting 2 Fs in the word rifle.
View Quote
Kinda odd, something had to change.  The original thread from 8/25.  Too bad.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure the dude just forgot his login info
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top