BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/17/2021 2:22:58 PM EDT
Screw Vic. I wish to have some newly made 100% lowers anodized. What is the contact info for the new goto anodizer?
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I've all but given up on a "Go To" anodizing place.
The only one that really does a good job, is US Anodizing, but they don't want our business.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s kind of frustrating knowing they will do anodizing for some businesses but not mine.  
I guess you have be in the cool kids club
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Dang it, I hope I may be forgiven for saying this.

Of the 30+ places I googled in TN which ones did you call that do not do the type of work you want? So that we may add them to the list of places not to call.

Why bash vendors? Vic at US Ano was the go to guy for a long time, so much good work did he do that he got enough contract work from other vendors with a back log and can't take little jobs anymore. I'm jelly, I wish him well, bashing success is fascist.

This hobby is not a spectator sport, be the next man up, find the next plater that is hungry for our business. Develop a personal relationship get them to cater, never know what might happen.

Bitchin doesn't cure anything when you're in control.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard good things about SNF I use moly resin though so I don’t have any personal experience with them
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Of the 30+ places I googled in TN which ones did you call that do not do the type of work you want? So that we may add them to the list of places not to call.

Why bash vendors? Vic at US Ano was the go to guy for a long time, so much good work did he do that he got enough contract work from other vendors with a back log and can't take little jobs anymore. I'm jelly, I wish him well, bashing success is fascist.

This hobby is not a spectator sport, be the next man up, find the next plater that is hungry for our business. Develop a personal relationship get them to cater, never know what might happen.

View Quote

Amen. Victor is a great guy who does outstanding work.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I heard good things about SNF I use moly resin though so I don’t have any personal experience with them
View Quote

My upper and lower that SNF hardcoat anodized grey turned bronze. I had it done a few years ago, so I'm not sure what their recent work looks like.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I had this done by Vegas Metal Finishing about a year ago:

Not sure what media or grit was used to blasted the parts, but it has a pretty rough textured finish, almost like a powder coat.
In the sun light, it looks like Barbeque paint.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 12:24:35 AM EDT
[#8]
If that hardware was previously anodize then they had to strip the original anodize off. That is done with an acid etch process which is what caused the rough finish. It’s normal. They probably plugged the holes. It’s been a few years but If I remember correctly MIL-8625 Hard anno penetration is around .0004 below the surface of the substrate. Gotta etch that out before you can re anno.

Not to hijack the thread but now I have a question. Does an anodizing house need a mfg FFL to do the work? Do they need to transfer and take possession of the lowers?
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#9]
It was explained to me this way, you don't transfer title to get your car worked on, there is no change in ownership. Now if you are mailing they may need to be. This is more of a legal forum question or search I'm sure BATFE has published policy on this.

Link Posted: 11/19/2021 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had this done by Vegas Metal Finishing about a year ago:

https://i.imgur.com/i7iyo4B.jpg

Not sure what media or grit was used to blasted the parts, but it has a pretty rough textured finish, almost like a powder coat.
In the sun light, it looks like Barbeque paint.
View Quote

Had them do a job for me and it turned just like yours.  Much too course of blasting media, and/or too high of pressure.  Would not recommend them if you want anything resembling a proper finish.

Edit to add that my lower wasn't refinished, was raw 7075 aluminum so not sure why they felt the need to blast the crap out of it.  It's not like they were removing old anodizing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

WELL SAID KID,, and thank you for saying it!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If that hardware was previously anodize then they had to strip the original anodize off. That is done with an acid etch process which is what caused the rough finish. It’s normal. They probably plugged the holes. It’s been a few years but If I remember correctly MIL-8625 Hard anno penetration is around .0004 below the surface of the substrate. Gotta etch that out before you can re anno.

Not to hijack the thread but now I have a question. Does an anodizing house need a mfg FFL to do the work? Do they need to transfer and take possession of the lowers?
View Quote

Just like all gunsmith work, the receiving party need to have 07 FFL if you are mailing them 100% receiver (serial numbered and considered as a rifle/pistol). If mailing 80% receiver, no restriction.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That is done with an acid etch process which is what caused the rough finish. It’s normal. They probably plugged the holes. It’s been a few years but If I remember correctly MIL-8625 Hard anno penetration is around .0004 below the surface of the substrate. Gotta etch that out before you can re anno.
View Quote

After the hardware has been stripped of any existing anodizing, is it possible to polish or smooth out the hardware before the new anodizing?

Also, They probably plugged the holes?
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#14]
The ones I sent to get done when they went through New Frontier Armory first have a nice finish. Not sure how they prepped them though. I deburred and sanded everything before I sent it to them. I guess since they make lowers they have some type machine that preps them before they are sent to anodizing.

Not sure I would send a cloned lower to anyone after reading one of the ATFs news stories the other day.

Link Posted: 11/19/2021 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not sure I would send a cloned lower to anyone after reading one of the ATFs news stories the other day.

View Quote

What story was that?
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#16]
This one. It is not that I don't think good came out of it but the reason the investigation started and what some of the charges were. https://www.atf.gov/news/pr/oklahoma-man-pleads-guilty-trafficking-firearms-parts-through-arkansas-mexico
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Hunter rifle works can do gray. He does the lowers for russian paint. I'm sending a couple to him shortly.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 2:20:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Can you share his pricing?
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hunter rifle works can do gray. He does the lowers for russian paint. I'm sending a couple to him shortly.
View Quote

Hunter Rifleworks

Looks interesting, I'm guessing they sub out the anodizing work.
Lets us know how they come out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hunter Rifleworks

Looks interesting, I'm guessing they sub out the anodizing work.
Lets us know how they come out.
View Quote

I believe he said it was done in house. I was quoted $100 each 3 months ago. My lowers are machined and just passed function test so will be sending them out shortly.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I posted a detailed description and photos here of my experience with Outlaw Anodizing in Houston. I know some people have had mixed experiences with them, but I was very satisfied with the work they did for me, especially the prep work to smooth out the interior of my lower.

If you look at their website and social media, they do a lot of crazy colors for paint ballers and everyone else under the sun. I haven’t specifically asked them about retro colors though. I can’t seem to find a record of the pricing, but I believe they charged $70 for the lower including return postage. I dropped mine off in person while I was in Houston and then had them ship it back to me. It took a little time, as they were pretty busy. I believe I got it back about 4 weeks after I dropped it off.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

After the hardware has been stripped of any existing anodizing, is it possible to polish or smooth out the hardware before the new anodizing?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is done with an acid etch process which is what caused the rough finish. It’s normal. They probably plugged the holes. It’s been a few years but If I remember correctly MIL-8625 Hard anno penetration is around .0004 below the surface of the substrate. Gotta etch that out before you can re anno.

Yes you can polish the substrate just like you would anything else to the desired finish. Just be careful not to oversize internal features or undersize external features. Be mostly concerned with pin holes and things of that nature. I recommend scotch-brite red and green unless you want it really polished the go to white. A buffing wheel is also helpful.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I posted a detailed description and photos here of my experience with Outlaw Anodizing in Houston. I know some people have had mixed experiences with them, but I was very satisfied with the work they did for me, especially the prep work to smooth out the interior of my lower.

If you look at their website and social media, they do a lot of crazy colors for paint ballers and everyone else under the sun. I haven’t specifically asked them about retro colors though. I can’t seem to find a record of the pricing, but I believe they charged $70 for the lower including return postage. I dropped mine off in person while I was in Houston and then had them ship it back to me. It took a little time, as they were pretty busy. I believe I got it back about 4 weeks after I dropped it off.
View Quote

Thanks for the info Scout (I myself was a 19D with the 3ACR from 2004 to 2009), I had emailed Outlaw Anodizing a few months ago.
I had questions about the work need and if they can remove the rough texture. I never did got a reply from them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yes you can polish the substrate just like you would anything else to the desired finish. Just be careful not to oversize internal features or undersize external features. Be mostly concerned with pin holes and things of that nature. I recommend scotch-brite red and green unless you want it really polished the go to white. A buffing wheel is also helpful.
View Quote

Thanks man, I just said screw it, and sent it off to Meridian Ordnance to be moly-resin. Not thrilled about it, really hoped to have it anodized, but like I said, after this past anodizing job, I've given up on anodizing.... been working on this project for a few years now.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I have thought about getting set up to do it again but, there’s not enough consistent work to go through all the trouble and noise.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Any anodizer you plan to ship to needs FFL for lowers. If you stay on site while being processed they do not need an FFL. If you have an 07 FFL then the anodizer needs to file a Notice of Non-Marking variance with ATF, otherwise the anodizer is required to add their compliance markings to a lower receiver.

Samson's SNF Finishing has opened up capacity now that the market has cooled down, they may be able to take on smaller piece work. Ask for Jon. If enough forum people coordinate to ship a full load of the same color they can run it much faster and at lower cost. It used to be a 25-piece minimum per boom to avoid the per piece price, and they can fit up to 50 per boom.

As far as surface prep, no matter what you do to your parts they will be put into the acid etch tank as part of the process. Newly machined parts will need surface blast prior to etch. Be sure your anodizer has the correct media/pressure/duration for your material. Otherwise you can get rounded edges and faded markings. I prefer to blast new machined parts and then engrave markings (laser) so they remain fresh with only the etch process to follow.

Also, send your uppers and lowers to be run as a set. Variations throughout the process can deliver slightly different results.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Any anodizer you plan to ship to needs FFL for lowers. If you stay on site while being processed they do not need an FFL. If you have an 07 FFL then the anodizer needs to file a Notice of Non-Marking variance with ATF, otherwise the anodizer is required to add their compliance markings to a lower receiver.
View Quote

So, Brukernavm , are you saying that if I send in my Bushmaster AR lower receiver to be reanodized, that the anodizer has to add their compliance markings to the lower receiver?  Or do you just mean that if an unserialized receiver is sent in for anodizing, then the anodizer needs to mark it?
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I believe he said it was done in house. I was quoted $100 each 3 months ago. My lowers are machined and just passed function test so will be sending them out shortly.
View Quote

Did you ever get around to sending yours off to them? I'm curious what their work looks like, but finding examples online has been difficult.

I was going to send an upper and lower off to Vegas Metal Finishing, but after a few mentioned overly rough finishes, I decided to look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Did you ever get around to sending yours off to them? I'm curious what their work looks like, but finding examples online has been difficult.

I was going to send an upper and lower off to Vegas Metal Finishing, but after a few mentioned overly rough finishes, I decided to look elsewhere.
View Quote

Last month, Hunter told me they were not taking anything until January -

Hi HenryKnoxFineBooks,

We are not taking any new anodizing work at the moment.

We will be taking work again when we catch up with our grenade orders in early Jan 2022.

If you still need the services in Jan let me know. Our turnaround is approx 2 weeks.

Thanks

Not even a batch of over 20 in black (as simple as it gets for lowers) was of enough interest to make a difference.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Last month, Hunter told me they were not taking anything until January -

Hi HenryKnoxFineBooks,

We are not taking any new anodizing work at the moment.

We will be taking work again when we catch up with our grenade orders in early Jan 2022.

If you still need the services in Jan let me know. Our turnaround is approx 2 weeks.

Thanks

Not even a batch of over 20 in black (as simple as it gets for lowers) was of enough interest to make a difference.
View Quote

I got this as well last month. I emailed about 5 days ago to see if he's back to accepting work but haven't heard back. Usually responds really fast. I have a lower I need done in gray that I'll probably just do myself this weekend in molly resin. Still want to use him for my A4 lower though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Taking a break from gunsmithing - Something people need to get out of their head - a lower is a firearm once you mill it out. It is not a 80% anymore. If you contact a anodizing outfit, tell them you have a homemade ar15. If you say 80% lower, they will assume its solid.

drill fire control holes, don't mill out the back = firearm
miil the back out dont drill the holes = firearm

the guy that the article was talking about was building MGs for cartel. Sure its alarming - i have painted clone lowers for customers, many engrave their info on the grip area for clarification so no one trips.

I think a good rule of thumb is to avoid putting fake sear marks and cut the back like an AR15 unless you are a MFR, if you can stomach it putting your info in the trigger well isnt a bad idea.

ok got to go back in the shop. carry on.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Had these done locally for type 3 hardcoat. Might see what they could do in gray.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus, I would rather a man turn down my business versus take it, never do it, or take forever using the excuse that he's too busy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:14:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Had these done locally
View Quote

Who did the work?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:33:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Who did the work?
View Quote

Company without an FFL, so you have to walk in.....
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Another shout out to Outlaw Anodizing. I was looking for three Black 601 lowers to match my uppers, unfortunately Brownells were out of stock and I had to settle for their silver/blueish ones.

Before, compared to a Windham Weaponry lower

After

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Got the test gray piece done at may anodizer who did batch posted above. He left it in for 7 minutes and is a bit too dark gray (the darkest gray I can accept IMO). Will see how the next ones work out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#38]
My local anodizer can't do grey (they can barely do a decent black).  But, they're not expensive.  I have two 80% lowers I want done when I can afford it, but I have decided to try something a little different.  I'm going to get them to just hardcoat and clear seal my lowers, but not dye them.  Then I'm going to "paint" them with dry film lube.  As a test, yesterday, I took a BLEM upper receiver I had worked on and "painted" it.  It was already anodized black, but had areas of raw aluminum from the work I did.  I brush painted on the DFL, let it air dry for 30 minutes, then baked it per the instructions.  Here is how it came out.

The color is grey, and I'll have to see how the finish holds up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm in the same boat and will need grey anodizing services probably later this year. It's always been amazing to me that Vic literally seems to be the only game in town for proper grey anodizing. I know it's a niche market but surely someone else can figure this out. I had pondered going with SNF but I definitely don't want the anodizing turning bronze. For that matter, I have need for plain ol' black anodizing too but still unsure who does quality work.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat and will need grey anodizing services probably later this year. It's always been amazing to me that Vic literally seems to be the only game in town for proper grey anodizing. I know it's a niche market but surely someone else can figure this out. I had pondered going with SNF but I definitely don't want the anodizing turning bronze. For that matter, I have need for plain ol' black anodizing too but still unsure who does quality work.
View Quote

I contacted SNF about the finish turning bronze and they said they can do a nickel acetate seal to prevent the color change.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I contacted SNF about the finish turning bronze and they said they can do a nickel acetate seal to prevent the color change.
View Quote

When my anodizer went after it, said the dye always looked too light in color, and then when to the last step with the sealant, they darkened considerably to the point of being too dark. So the skill is in the proper amount of time taking dye and the materials used as sealant, and I'd guess the sealant is the more critical factor.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

When my anodizer went after it, said the dye always looked too light in color, and then when to the last step with the sealant, they darkened considerably to the point of being too dark. So the skill is in the proper amount of time taking dye and the materials used as sealant, and I'd guess the sealant is the more critical factor.
View Quote

The same thing happened to the parts i sent SNF, they ended up very dark grey after sealing.

Grey anodizing seems to be more of an art than a science.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Had these done locally for type 3 hardcoat. Might see what they could do in gray.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180398/batch1_JPG-2241522.JPG
View Quote

I've never seen buffer tube reinforcements profiled like the two on the bottom and the one at middle right, what lowers are those? Some sort of transitional variant between the A1 and A2 designs?
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I've never seen buffer tube reinforcements profiled like the two on the bottom and the one at middle right, what lowers are those? Some sort of transitional variant between the A1 and A2 designs?
View Quote

Current Cerro forge - seen on M4A1s, M4s, and M16A4s.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Current Cerro forge - seen on M4A1s, M4s, and M16A4s.
View Quote

Thanks! Learned something new today. Checked some of my own lowers and realized that my solitary Ballistic Advantage lower is one of those new Cerro Forge pieces - never noticed that before, something had always seemed off about it (love the logo though) but I couldn't quite put a finger on what was different.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the input! I'd love to see more pics of SNF's work, esp with the seal.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Another shout out to Outlaw Anodizing. I was looking for three Black 601 lowers to match my uppers
View Quote

Looks really good, wish they would email me back, but still nothing from them...
Their website said to call, but provides no phone number...
Hey Outlaw, email me!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Looks really good, wish they would email me back, but still nothing from them...
Hey Outlaw, email me!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another shout out to Outlaw Anodizing. I was looking for three Black 601 lowers to match my uppers

Hey Outlaw, email me!!

I also tried contacting both Outlaw Anodizing and SnF Finishing through email. So far it's been "crickets" from both. Maybe it's some anodizers holiday that I'm unaware of???
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I also tried contacting both Outlaw Anodizing and SnF Finishing through email. So far it's been "crickets" from both. Maybe it's some anodizers holiday that I'm unaware of???
View Quote

I have experienced the same with both as well the past month or so.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top