Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/21/2022 10:51:55 PM EDT
Wondering if anyone has a solution for this issue.

You clean off some spray paint on a black anodized aluminum part, sometimes there is this cloudy effect left behind. sometimes you there is none, sometimes its just in spots.

it is NOT left over paint.

Wondering if anyone knows that is going on when this occurs, and if there is any solution to actually fix it, other than just buffing in some oil to mask it a bit.

Here is an example photo, i had to brighten the image a bit to get it to translate so it is a bit more obvious in the picture than with actual eyes. I cant be the only one this happens to, and id like to reiterate, its not left over paint i know that for sure, but in the picture that is what it looks like.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:34:58 AM EDT
[#1]
The actual anodize coating maybe. You have removed the dye. That's all I can think of.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:07:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I realized a common factor that may or may not be a factor is the use of acetone.  I didn't know anodizing involved a dye. Test would make sense if that is the case
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s possible you stripped the die in the anodizing off. Black anodizing uses a die in the anodizing tank, usually like e cro black or a similar die

If you want the optic to be black again I’d probably just creators or spray paint it back to black.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Anodizing creates a microporous surface, and any color is from a dye in the pores.  Depending on the cleaning method you can leave paint in the pores, remove dye from the pores, or remove the pores entirely with vigorous mechanical cleaning.  It's unlikely that you'll be able to restore the original finish, so some sort of coating (CeraKote?) is needed to give an acceptable appearance.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#5]
It's residual paint on the surface finish.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I know that you said it’s not paint.

However, through my experience with stripping paint off anodizing, I believe what you have is spray paint that’s gotten into the pores of the anodizing.

You can try to remove the rest with alcohol pads. If you rub the body of the t2 with alcohol prep pads and the pads are dirty with the same color as what you sprayed your t2 with, then it’s probably paint.
Rub the t2 with these alcohol prep pads until the wipes are clean.

Finally rub some oil on the body of the t2 then wipe off the excess.

This will shine up and darken the anodizing a bit, thereby restoring it. maybe not 100% but better than before.

Test a small spot first and then do the whole body if you like the results.

I’ve never stripped a t2. I’ve had good experiences doing this with anodized upper/lowers/acogs, eotechs etc.

Good luck!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top