Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2021 1:41:11 PM EDT
Why are some "gas" keys on 9 mm bolts angled like the FM9 bolts? I find it causes resistance when charging the gun because the angle pushes the charging handle into the top of the reciever.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Why are some "gas" keys on 9 mm bolts angled like the FM9 bolts? I find it causes resistance when charging the gun because the angle pushes the charging handle into the top of the reciever.
View Quote

Good question, and one of the reasons I went with Faxon.  It just doesn't seem logical to have an angle there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:26:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

That shouldn't be the case, the charging handle should engage the step at the front top of the bolt/carrier. The "key" on a 9mm bolt really only keeps the carrier/bolt from rotating in the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That shouldn't be the case, the charging handle should engage the step at the front top of the bolt/carrier. The "key" on a 9mm bolt really only keeps the carrier/bolt from rotating in the receiver.
View Quote

You are right. I broke out a 5.56 carrier to compare. The Foxtrot Mike carrier key angle starts right at the step. I measured it and it's only .05 inches high. Explains why I thought the charging handle was supposed to grab the angle by design. The step is shorter then a standard height step which is causing the charging handle to slip and grab the angle key.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:24:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Also relative to this is the cocking handles. Some are cut with a radius at the nose where it meets with the gas key, while others are cut angled at the nose where it meets the gas key.

On a standard AR DI system, that seems to have no effect, while the angle cut ones can jam a 9mm bolt up. Had it happen, could not for the life of me get the bolt to rack, it just locked up tight. Took me about a week on my first build to realize why it was happening.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I reached out to the company and they asked for a photo of my bolt. As soon as I sent it they responded that they are sending me a new bolt.
Here the two are. The bolt on the right is the defective bolt. The one on the left has more of a ledge for the charging handle to grab.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top