Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2021 3:55:20 PM EDT
I came across this video and thought it was really cool where the person does an "autopsy" on an Anderson barrel.

Anderson Manufacturing Barrel Autopsy
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#1]
His videos are very educational.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Short chamber and .068” port on a 16” carbine gas.

OOF.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Woah how have I not seen this channel yet? Subscribed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Woah how have I not seen this channel yet? Subscribed.
View Quote

SOTAR is worth following and he does some pretty interesting stuff sometimes, but he can also get deep in the weeds. He posts some good info on FB as well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#5]
There’s a cult of people that hate him here, and I can’t figure out why. He puts out some interesting stuff.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There’s a cult of people that hate him here, and I can’t figure out why. He puts out some interesting stuff.
View Quote

Not sure who would hate him. Plenty to be learned from his videos. Some of his measurement techniques and such are based on sample sets of "good", as the gauges are not really to a spec in some cases. But most of what he does is based on well-known measurements and observations, and he does it in a pretty concise manner (usually). As someone else said, he'll go into the weeds at times, and that's where my bull shit flag usually gets raised. Particularly obsession over perceived superiority in pieces that don't have a factual metric to justify it. Regardless, his content and experience seems to be constantly improving, and it's a value to AR-15 followers.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not sure who would hate him. Plenty to be learned from his videos. Some of his measurement techniques and such are based on sample sets of "good", as the gauges are not really to a spec in some cases. But most of what he does is based on well-known measurements and observations, and he does it in a pretty concise manner (usually). As someone else said, he'll go into the weeds at times, and that's where my bull shit flag usually gets raised. Particularly obsession over perceived superiority in pieces that don't have a factual metric to justify it. Regardless, his content and experience seems to be constantly improving, and it's a value to AR-15 followers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both here and on FB. I’ve never really heard a coherent argument as to WHY people don’t like him, other than they own something from a brand that failed his gauge tests and people start crying bloody murder. He also tends to emphasize some things that most people deem (rightly or wrongly) to be insignificant or inconsequential. I’ve considered taking one of his armorers courses, but I’m not sure the info I’d gain from it would be worth the cost.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I find his stuff interesting from an information standpoint.  Good information can be gleaned just by observing and comparing.  

But, hey.  Some people just aren't happy unless they have someone or something to hate, I guess.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#9]
SOTAR “Autopsies” are no different than f@pping over “The Chart” and whether a barrel is parkerized under the FSB.

Either a barrel is accurate and reliable and has a properly sized gas port, or it’s not. Personally I don’t need a 30 minute video of gauging and sanctimonious opinions from someone too uncomfortable to appear on camera
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#10]
He's a member here.

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
SOTAR “Autopsies” are no different than f@pping over “The Chart” and whether a barrel is parkerized under the FSB.

Either a barrel is accurate and reliable and has a properly sized gas port, or it’s not. Personally I don’t need a 30 minute video of gauging and sanctimonious opinions from someone too uncomfortable to appear on camera
View Quote

You wouldn’t know what you have unless you did an autopsy on it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

jUsT aS gOoD
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Never heard of him.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:31:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or shoot a variety of ammo through it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

jUsT aS gOoD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

jUsT aS gOoD

I’m hardly a poor. Nice try though.

Would you rather have a 2 moa barrel and BCG that doesn’t  pass gauge tests or a 4 moa barrel and BCG that does?

Would you rather have a Bushmaster that has zero malfunctions in 10,000 rounds (see Luckygunner test) or a Colt with 4000 MRBS?

Gauging tells nothing about actual  performance. It’s simply an actual tool in the toolbox.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool video. I like that front sight alignment rod.
But I cringed when he was using the side of the grinding wheel.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#17]
All the gauges do make it easier for someone that is learning to actually see what is wrong instead of just trying to visualize it from what someone is saying. Teaching a class I think they might learn better by their use. The use of tools and gauges in a video to show the problems instead of just stating what you think has to help keep down the disagreement on what the cause of the problem is.

But is all the stuff shown something that needs to be done if the end goal was just to diagnosis the problem and not teach or provide proof? I don't think so. I watch the videos just to see if there is something I have not seen yet. I don't necessarily agree with all the techniques used but that is an individual choice someone makes every time they do something. The thing about any shared video and why I would never want to be in one is if something is incorrect it is out there for everyone to see.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d rather measure everything and see that it’s a POS before I wasted my time and built an upper with it, took it to the range, and burned ammo through it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Good watch. Subscribed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I really dislike the videos where they spend ages preening in front of the camera.
I want the information, I don't care what the person doing the work looks like, or how marvelous he thinks he is.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't watch tech videos or educational videos for some talking hairdo with vanity issues, so I'm ok with a 30 minute video that provides actual information.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top