Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2018 2:41:00 PM EDT
I remember being so new, I'd just buy whatever whatever ammo was cheapest and be happy.  Of course this was during some lean ammo years, and good deals were hard to come by.  I'd like to think I'm being smarter and more strategic about my purchases.  Now taking into consideration barrel length, twist, weight, velocity etc. and matching with a particular scope/bdc. Still so much to learn, but I realize now is the time to stack.

I've had the time now to experiment with a variety of ammo brands/makeups in my rifle setups.  I've landed on a couple of primary .223/5.56 rounds that work well.

First, I got lucky and jumped on a bunch of 64g Speer GD's from PSA a while back.  It just so happens that it's extremely accurate (relative I know), out of all my platforms.  From what I've read, I should be satisfied with its ballistics.

The second round I've discovered just came from experimenting.  The Hornady Frontier 75g OTM also works well in almost all my platforms.  This was after trying all the other heavier OTM's on the market.  Also, from what I've read, I should be happy with those ballistics.

The Hornady obviously accurately reaches out farther, but the Speer is better barrier blind.....everything is a trade off.  I shoot M855 for practice and plinking, it's a little more accurate for me than the M193, and it's dead nuts on with my favorite ACSS reticle.

I'm looking to pick up a little more of the Frontier as it seems a really good value.  Is the T2 the way to go over the other Frontier offerings?  I admit haven't shot those yet being drawn to the heavier T2.  I've also considered picking up some 75g steel match, but it's only less than 10 cents per round than the Frontier.  I'm happy with my stash of the GD's, and just pick up more M855 as I run through it.

So....I've painted myself into sticking with only 3 particular rounds for my stash.  Where are the holes in my plan?  What am I not looking at that I should be?  Appreciate the knowledge and wisdom on this board.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#1]
If its working, stock up.
No holes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got the same- T2 TAP/Frontier for fragmentation and Gold Dot for barrier blind. Run 75gr Steel Match for accurate practice, M855 for minute of man.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey OP. I see you've posted on the Frontier T2 versus the TAP T2 thread. Go back and read the post above your last post from @rybe390. If I understand him correctly, from his experience and research, a 50-yard zero with the 75 grain Frontier T2, will give you the same trajectory as a 100 yd zero with 55 grain M193. Maybe the 3rd type of round you should stock is M193.

You would just have to figure out how the 64 grain Gold Dots match up with the trajectory of the other two.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems to suit you, OP.

For me, I just buy whatever M193 I can for cheapest. Usually wolf gold, but PPU and IMI haven't let me down. American Eagle (hard to find it at prices that beat the afformentioned three) is also good stuff from my barrels.

The CBC (magtech import) that came out not too long ago did not work with one of my barrels, but was otherwise great ammo for its price. I was able to sell it to my brother at cost, as his barrel likes it. I bought more PPU with the money.

I'm confident in the known performance of M193, and the limitations of that. I don't feel undergunned with it, and love that at its price I can stack it and shoot it. Most of the time between brands and lots it's just a few clicks at 100 to re-zero, and usually I can still hit minute of man at 300 without adjusting, although it may take a shot or two to figure the hold.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#5]
For me, I just buy whatever M193 I can for cheapest. Usually wolf gold, but PPU and IMI haven't let me down. American Eagle (hard to find it at prices that beat the aforementioned three) is also good stuff from my barrels.
View Quote
what he said.

My advice: add to your stash and lay in some M193--you'll never be sorry.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

what he said.

My advice: add to your stash and lay in some M193--you'll never be sorry.
View Quote
Twist my arm!  Missed out on the IMI sale.  Kicking myself for that.  Good advice, thank you.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 4:01:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#8]
My stash seems to be shaping up as about 50% barrier loads (MSR, 64 GD, MK318), 35% FMJ (M193, M855) and 15% OTM (BH 77 TMK, IMI 77 OTM).

YMMV but I'm happy with the proportions. I may work on getting it to 50/30/20 though.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top