BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2019 12:40:12 AM EDT
I own both an MRO and T2. Mostly because I wanted to run both of them to see which one I liked the best. Rather than just going off what YT reviews state. Both are great optics and all of that. Both have their pros and cons. But for some weird reason after shooting with the MRO and then putting the T2 on, I just prefer the MRO.

I know Aimpoint guys complain about the blue tint of the MRO or the 1.0001 magnification of the MRO. Or the parallax issue. But honestly none of that bothers me. I'm almost at the point where I want to sell the T2 and just get another MRO. One thing I like about the T2 is that it has the real world history to back it up. The MRO is slowly working its way there, but probably will never reach the Aimpoint level.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to own both, now I have the T2.

If the MRO works best for you, then it is the best sight for you.
Enjoy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 1:18:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Both are great, but MRO’s for me too
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#3]
The switch is better with an off position where you need it, rather than cranking it 7 or 8 positions like the T1/T2.

Adjusting the red dot is easier. Losing those little caps on the T1/T2 will cost you about $12. Ask me how I know.

But I think Aimpoint's dot is superior- my MRO looks like an uneven blob which is not as precise. Still good enough for a combat optic, just mildly irritating though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#4]
All things being equal I generally like better optics, but everyone's different.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I would never apologize for liking or preferring a Trijicon scope/RDS. They make excellent stuff.

I have never even seen an MRO in person much less used one but own several T2's but hope to get eyes on an MRO one day.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I've used the CompM3, T1, T2, MRO (pre-fix), RMR Type1

The MRO off positions are very nice to have and the larger window as well.
I don't notice the tint in actual use and don't really notice the mild magnification.

If the T2 had the more convenient off positions I would never consider getting rid of it. But, since the battery life is supposed to be so long when left on it probably should not matter.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#7]
The Aimpoint T2 has an OFF position?
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#8]
i own two MRO's that i use for work...never had a problem
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I have zero complaints with my MRO..
A lot of the preferrance of one over the other is IMO over minor details. Peoples eyes are different.
I have astigmatism and the MRO dot is still very usable without glasses. I never notice the blue tint or magnification people talk about.
And when I miss a shot I can blame the parallax instead of owning it..
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I also have both, and both work very well, both once zero'd hold zero.   I like the Trijicon because its made in Michigan by Americans.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#11]
The T2 has noticeably clearer glass as compared to a post 89k MRO. However, the tint on the MRO doesn’t bother me.

Link Posted: 2/10/2019 12:35:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Four T2's, prefer them over anything.

The MRO will definitely get the job done though
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 12:50:34 AM EDT
[#13]
both great optics

hard to beat the MRO for value
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 2:04:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Its hard to beat for the value. They can be had new for about what PROs go for and being able to fimd the battery they use at the grocery store is a plus. Ive only had mine for a month but the one trip it took to the range, I didnt have any issues with it. I will say the dot is kind of crappy if you intend to throw a magnifier behind it though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 2:38:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Nope
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Use the one you personally prefer and which works best for you.  Its your finger on the trigger, not anyone else.

No optic is perfect.  My only concern is one you have already dismissed - parallax.  It is pronounced, I'd say extremely bad, with the MRO.

But, if you are hitting where you aim at the distances you shoot and will not be in positions where your eye is not centering the dot in the middle of the rear lens, it will not matter.  The problem is mostly when you are shooting at angles where you can't center the dot.

13 MOA aiming error at the edges is a lot.  It becomes zero if your eye is always centered, though.  All tested dots had some parallax error, even the T-2 at 4.5 MOA, but the MRO was three times that.

Link Posted: 2/10/2019 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use the one you personally prefer and which works best for you.  Its your finger on the trigger, not anyone else.

No optic is perfect.  My only concern is one you have already dismissed - parallax.  It is pronounced, I'd say extremely bad, with the MRO.

But, if you are hitting where you aim at the distances you shoot and will not be in positions where your eye is not centering the dot in the middle of the rear lens, it will not matter.  The problem is mostly when you are shooting at angles where you can't center the dot.

13 MOA aiming error at the edges is a lot.  It becomes zero if your eye is always centered, though.  All tested dots had some parallax error, even the T-2 at 4.5 MOA, but the MRO was three times that.

https://i.postimg.cc/zz7TR3Hk/Parallax-Test-Results.jpg
View Quote
Nifty chart.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a big fan of Trijicon and wanted to like the MRO but it turns out my astigmatism does not like it, however Aimpoints look very crisp when im wearing my corrective lenses
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 2:39:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I 'thought' a lot of people preferred the MRO over the t1/t2. It's the red dot that doesn't make you feel like you're looking through a toilet paper roll.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 2:58:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I really like the MRO, especially with the green dot. My favorite is still the Comp M4S. I will be getting another T2 soon. I have no real reason other than I want a specific optic for a specific rifle. I dig RMRs on rifles too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I think you should sell your used clostrophobic T2 to me. Then buy the MRO you prefer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Never had a T2 but prefer the MRO, currently have 2, to the T1 I used to have.  I have a pre 89K and a newer model and shoot both just fine.  Tint doesn't bother me and just seems like a lot better field of view.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Never had a T2 but prefer the MRO, currently have 2, to the T1 I used to have.  I have a pre 89K and a newer model and shoot both just fine.  Tint doesn't bother me and just seems like a lot better field of view.
View Quote
It’s a worse field of view as it’s the bulkier optic.

It may offer a better field to view the dot for someone shooting from awkward positions given the larger lenses, but shooting both eyes open makes both points fairly moot.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I 'thought' a lot of people preferred the MRO over the t1/t2. It's the red dot that doesn't make you feel like you're looking through a toilet paper roll.
View Quote
yep. cant do the t2 type of rds anymore.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Both are great, but MRO’s for me too
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#26]
MRO [/end thread]

Link Posted: 2/12/2019 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#27]
The MRO was my choice because it's good enough for the $$. There will always be something nicer for more money.

Quoted:

View Quote
That chart makes my MRO sad but my Aimpoint PRO happy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Both great, just personal preference.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The MRO was my choice because it's good enough for the $$. There will always be something nicer for more money.

View Quote
There's also all of 7 data points for the PRO. The chart is almost useless given the fact that this was probably one shooter shooting 3 optics 30-40 times and other optics 2-10 times. Doesn't make any sense.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Wanting a MRO
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There's also all of 7 data points for the PRO. The chart is almost useless given the fact that this was probably one shooter shooting 3 optics 30-40 times and other optics 2-10 times. Doesn't make any sense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you read the case study?  You should.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I’ve got both and they are both solid... I keep a T2 on my work rifle but my most recent build got a MRO

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Just purchased a new green dot MRO for a new pistol build I’m doing, hopefully it doesn’t disappoint. I absolutely hated the earlier versions with the blue tint and slight magnification. Went with a T2 instead and loved it but sold it and the BCM rifle it was on to fund another project. Even with clearer glass and no magnification on the MRO, the T2 is the better optic IMO. Just wish AP would come out with a green dot.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just purchased a new green dot MRO for a new pistol build I’m doing, hopefully it doesn’t disappoint. I absolutely hated the earlier versions with the blue tint and slight magnification. Went with a T2 instead and loved it but sold it and the BCM rifle it was on to fund another project. Even with clearer glass and no magnification on the MRO, the T2 is the better optic IMO. Just wish AP would come out with a green dot.
View Quote
Green seems to come with 20% battery life of red versions...which are huge selling points for red.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Green seems to come with 20% battery life of red versions...which are huge selling points for red.
View Quote
Yep, saw the reviews and took that into consideration but not a big deal to me. I don’t keep my RDS on while in my safe nor is it being used daily for “duty” purposes.  I change batteries every New Years so a non issue for my needs.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#36]
If the cheaper sight works better for you, drive on with it.

Quoted:

View Quote
Super cool. Needs a like button.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#37]
The MRO is the better value. The T2 is the better optic.

I will say I love my MRO, I do consider it both quality and duty grade. Even before all this parallax hubbub, I will say that I noticed it. When zeroing I noted that I was stringing vertically. I thought something was up with my rifle until I realized I was being sloppy with where the dot was centered in the optic. Once I take a second to center the dot, it goes away.

I don’t know how much it matters. To me, if I’m shooting so fast I don’t have time to center the dot, I’m likely shooting fast enough to not notice a parallax shift in terms of POI. I’ll also note that I was zeroing at a closer range where presumably parallax would matter more. Still, it’s not a desireable trait. I could only imagine this issue would compound in front of a magnifier that’s unlikely to be perfectly centered, though I wouldn’t know as I’ve never shot it with a magnifier.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#38]
I like a lot of things about the MRO but the parallax issue has kept me away.

I think parallax is more an issue with the MRO because of larger objective lens as compared to the T2.  I wonder if it’s even possiblle to fix the parallax issue without a major redesign?
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I like a lot of things about the MRO but the parallax issue has kept me away.

I think parallax is more an issue with the MRO because of larger objective lens as compared to the T2.  I wonder if it’s even possiblle to fix the parallax issue without a major redesign?
View Quote
The Pro and CompM4 have similar lens sizes, are longer, and have better parallax results than the MRO. The T1 is bad like the MRO, and the T2 changed the cant of the lens to be better than T1.

My point? There’s some correlation between lens cant, optic length, lens size etc that Aimpoint is figuring out.

Now for them to come out with a 27mm ‘micro’
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The Pro and CompM4 have similar lens sizes, are longer, and have better parallax results than the MRO. The T1 is bad like the MRO, and the T2 changed the cant of the lens to be better than T1.

My point? There’s some correlation between lens cant, optic length, lens size etc that Aimpoint is figuring out.

Now for them to come out with a 27mm ‘micro’
View Quote
It would be great if Trijicon figured out the parallax issue with the MRO.  Get the lens cant optimized and made both the occular and objective lens the same size...
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#41]
MRO has been my most used optic for just about 2 years now. I have no complaints and would buy it again.

Having shot T2s that belong to other people, I can support the idea that the T2 is a better optic but the MRO is the better value. You're paying a lot of extra money and not getting too much for it - even though you are getting something.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Aimpoint T2 has an OFF position?
View Quote
This ^

Why even bother turning it off? 5 years of continuous on at setting 7.

2032 battery is like $2 for an expensive one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#43]
I just bought a mro patrol ,  I looked at the aimpoints along with several others and keep going back to the mro.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#44]
The only thing wrong with the mro is no option for citlrcle dot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I own both an MRO and T2. Mostly because I wanted to run both of them to see which one I liked the best. Rather than just going off what YT reviews state. Both are great optics and all of that. Both have their pros and cons. But for some weird reason after shooting with the MRO and then putting the T2 on, I just prefer the MRO.

I know Aimpoint guys complain about the blue tint of the MRO or the 1.0001 magnification of the MRO. Or the parallax issue. But honestly none of that bothers me. I'm almost at the point where I want to sell the T2 and just get another MRO. One thing I like about the T2 is that it has the real world history to back it up. The MRO is slowly working its way there, but probably will never reach the Aimpoint level.
View Quote
Aimpoint "guys" don't know that current production MROs do not have any tint or magnification. If they are still saying that then they lack product knowledge.

I picked the MRO because it is tougher. Made out of same forging process and 7075-T6 aluminum as the combat proven (and Marine proof) ACOG and has 30m water resistance depth over the Aimpoint T2's 25m. And plenty of abuse tests proved that to me. I also preferred the brightness knob at the top rather than the right side that the Aimpoint's have. I also liked the larger objective lens for less tube effect.

That and it was like half the price of the Aimpoint T2. $350 for a tougher and better designed optic made more sense to me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#46]
What about a MRO vs aimpoint Pro?
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
MRO pretty easily IMO.

The Aimpoint Pro is longer, fatter, heavier, and has smaller objective lens.

T1/T2 is a better comparison.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Aimpoint "guys" don't know that current production MROs do not have any tint or magnification. If they are still saying that then they lack product knowledge.

I picked the MRO because it is tougher. Made out of same forging process and 7075-T6 aluminum as the combat proven (and Marine proof) ACOG and has 30m water resistance depth over the Aimpoint T2's 25m. And plenty of abuse tests proved that to me. I also preferred the brightness knob at the top rather than the right side that the Aimpoint's have. I also liked the larger objective lens for less tube effect.

That and it was like half the price of the Aimpoint T2. $350 for a tougher and better designed optic made more sense to me.
View Quote
My new production MRO (Ser. #110***) has a slight blue tint and slight magnification. Although better than the initial MRO's, saying they do not have any tint or magnification is misleading. Maybe your eyes see differently than mine, but still a slight blue and magnification here. Nothing I notice while shooting, however. Generally I have to close the other eye to notice the tint and magnification, which isn't how I shoot. But, still worth noting as some people care about that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
MRO for sure for me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My new production MRO (Ser. #110***) has a slight blue tint and slight magnification. Although better than the initial MRO's, saying they do not have any tint or magnification is misleading. Maybe your eyes see differently than mine, but still a slight blue and magnification here. Nothing I notice while shooting, however. Generally I have to close the other eye to notice the tint and magnification, which isn't how I shoot. But, still worth noting as some people care about that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on that. i had a late model one after “the change” but it still had a slight magnification. the tint isnt that much of a problem but my pea-sized brain didnt like the lens.

too bad to, i really like the optics.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top