BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/21/2021 1:41:45 PM EDT
I picked a company to cerakote my LWRC lower receiver black. When I first contacted the company, the owner said a 1 week turnaround time for a stripped receiver, and double that for a receiver that needed to be taken apart. I thought ok great, 2 weeks doesn’t sound bad at all.

This company received the part on January 14th. I am now 5 1/2 weeks into this waiting. I emailed the owner on the 9th and was told “the lead times are always extended when sending in assembled parts”.  Well then why was I told 2 weeks when I first contacted? I was told my receiver was inline to be coated in the next day or so and then back to re-assembly and when it ships I will get an email.  

Here we are on the 21st and I still haven’t received that shipping email. Should I just wait patiently or get on their ass to get this finished?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say unacceptable covid or not.  They made multiple promises and did not own up.  I'd ask for your stuff back and a refund.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not unreasonable to hold a company to their own words, especially if they don't/won't give any explanation for the longer time.

Keep everything in writing, include their own statements with promised lead times.

If you want to up the ante, name the company here and include your correspondence with them in the thread, then send the company a link.

Be prepared to find another company to do the work if you piss them off enough to fire you as a customer.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I picked a company to cerakote my LWRC lower receiver black. When I first contacted the company, the owner said a 1 week turnaround time for a stripped receiver, and double that for a receiver that needed to be taken apart. I thought ok great, 2 weeks doesn’t sound bad at all.

This company received the part on January 14th. I am now 5 1/2 weeks into this waiting. I emailed the owner on the 9th and was told “the lead times are always extended when sending in assembled parts”.  Well then why was I told 2 weeks when I first contacted? I was told my receiver was inline to be coated in the next day or so and then back to re-assembly and when it ships I will get an email.  

Here we are on the 21st and I still haven’t received that shipping email. Should I just wait patiently or get on their ass to get this finished?
View Quote

Who is the contractor?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#4]
They are closed today and tomorrow. I will call them Tuesday and see what's going on. I don't want to piss them off, I just want my receiver back (cerakoted).

The company is WPT2 (wepleadthe2nd).
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Not unreasonable.

If you tell me a time frame I expect it done in that time, I don’t want to have to call you and find out what’s going on and I don’t want to hear your excuses when I do.

Most of the time I won’t mind waiting whatever the time is if you are honest about it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Not unreasonable
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. This is really aggravating. I'll update this after I call Tuesday.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Call give them a chance to make it good.   I know it been a while but don't piss them off just yet. See what they say and tell them what you want and hold them to what they said. Good luck
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I am drinking,  however... I would raise hell as it is definitely outside of the window they specified.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#11]
ONCE A LIAR ALWAYS A LIAR. GET IT RETURNED  AS SENT WITH REFUNDS
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Is the company based in NJ and have a number in the name?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#13]
OK I am throwing the red challenge flag.  I am not saying it is right, but the reality of dealing with anyone in the service industry is that in order for them to actually make money, they have to have more work than they can do, its called a back log.  Anyone who is actually good at what they do (and some who are not so good) will have one because if they dont, they will go out of business.  

So I am not saying not to call, just be friendly with them.  You guys would not last 10 mins dealing with Murray Urbach, Terry Dyer and more recently Mike Woodward all of HK fame (I admit I kinda ignored ARs for a few decades so HKs are where my main experience is -  I simply cant believe the AR world is ultimately that much different).  Do you want it fast or do you want it done right.  The only guy I am aware of that tried to split the difference is Jayson Cotter and a quick google search should tell how wonderful that turned out everyone.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK I am throwing the red challenge flag.  I am not saying it is right, but the reality of dealing with anyone in the service industry is that in order for them to actually make money, they have to have more work than they can do, its called a back log.  Anyone who is actually good at what they do (and some who are not so good) will have one because if they dont, they will go out of business.  

So I am not saying not to call, just be friendly with them.  You guys would not last 10 mins dealing with Murray Urbach, Terry Dyer and more recently Mike Woodward all of HK fame (I admit I kinda ignored ARs for a few decades so HKs are where my main experience is -  I simply cant believe the AR world is ultimately that much different).  Do you want it fast or do you want it done right.  The only guy I am aware of that tried to split the difference is Jayson Cotter and a quick google search should tell how wonderful that turned out everyone.
View Quote

Being unable to meet your own deadlines is not a sign of being good at what you do.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is the company based in NJ and have a number in the name?
View Quote

No they are in Arizona.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:28:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Being unable to meet your own deadlines is not a sign of being good at what you do.
View Quote

SMH, read what I said, I am not saying it is right, but that its the nature of the beast.  

The boys are TMP had an SP-89 to MP5SD-N conversion for me (all factory parts) for about 15 months past their timetable but I ended up with my gun and its amazing.  

You can fight with people or try to work with them.  Your choice.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:04:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is a big difference between hand working HK parts and painting AR parts.

The latter has literally hundreds of companies that can and will do it.

Most people would not put up with what HK guys do. It is in the realm of very specialized custom work done by a handful of very small shops. To compare that basic cerakoting makes no sense.

OP I would call the guy and be polite but firm that you want your stuff back. With a refund if its uncoated.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

What the hell?

He's getting an AR cerakoted. There's countless people who can do that well. My cerakote guy did a lower in a week, pandemic or not. It's a $50 job.

@OP - if you get your parts back I know a guy. Hell, everyone probably knows a guy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:15:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Not unreasonable at all.. especially if you choose that company instead of another based on their promises..
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't lie. If its going to take two months, tell the customer two months, don't tell them two weeks. The shop I worked told people 8-12 weeks, they were loaded with so much work.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I had this same experience with the POS owner of Custom Reloads of Dallas (Chad).  2018/2019 time frame.

He said...2-weeks, 2-weeks, 2-weeks and 2-weeks.  On the 8th week I said your fired.  

Always made some bullshit excuse.  I will bash his business every chance I get.  He got booted from Snipers Hide for not filling customer orders in a timely manner.

Do what you eff'n say you're going to do.  PERIOD!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#22]
In the business world, "under promise, over deliver" should be everyone's mantra. Don't sugar coat things...if you think it'll take a month, say 5-6 weeks and then come in early if all goes as expected.  If you're lead time is that big, it's because you've already got a bunch of work. Destroying your rep to draw in more work than you can currently handle is not a  good long term strategy. Pissing off customers is almost always a recipe for disaster.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I think I've been very nice to him so far. This has been our communication so far:

1-6-21
"Hello,
I’m interested in having the lower receiver of my AR15 cerakoted (solid black). It’s an LWRC M6 SPR. What is the average turnaround time?
Thank you,
John"

His reply:
"Bringing in stripped were about a week on solid colors."

My reply:
"Thanks for the quick response. How about an unstripped lower?" 

His reply:
"Most likely double due to the armorer schedule"

I sent the reciever and it was received on 1-14-20. At the 3 week point I sent an email just to touch base as I figured it was completed. I didn't hear back. At the 4 week point I sent this:

2-9-21
"Hello Bryan, 
I emailed over a week ago for an update and never got a response. We are into week 4 now and I didn't expect it to take this long. I do understand that things can take longer than expected though. Has the reciever been coated yet? When do you expect this to ship back to me?
Thank you,
John"

His reply:
"The lead times are always extended when sending in assembled parts.  The LWRC lowers need a special tool to get all of the control out prior to coating, which we needed to get.  We avoid open ended status updates until we have something relevant to report.  It is in line to get coated in the next day or so, and then back to re-assembly. When its ships, youll get emailed a tracking number completing your order."

My reply:
"Awesome, thank you."

That last email was 2 weeks ago. We are just about 6 weeks at this point. I figured the "special tool" he was referring to was just an excuse. The LWRC receiver comes apart like any other receiver.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok, spoke with the Manager at WPT2 (not Bryan the owner) and he said the receiver is finished but they broke the Ambi safety. Supposedly they ordered the part last week and it should be in any day.

Kind of good news I guess. Lol
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#25]
So, they lied to you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ok, spoke with the Manager at WPT2 (not Bryan the owner) and he said the receiver is finished but they broke the Ambi safety. Supposedly they ordered the part last week and it should be in any day.

Kind of good news I guess. Lol
View Quote

How do you break and ambi safety?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So, they lied to you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Maybe I'm wrong here but no way I'm sending in a complete lower and pay someone to strip it down when it takes less than fifteen minutes to strip yourself, if the OP doesn't know how it's a great time to learn
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think I've been very nice to him so far. This has been our communication so far:

1-6-20
"Hello,
I'm interested in having the lower receiver of my AR15 cerakoted (solid black). It's an LWRC M6 SPR. What is the average turnaround time?
Thank you,
John Girgenti"

His reply:
"Bringing in stripped were about a week on solid colors."

My reply:
"Thanks for the quick response. How about an unstripped lower?"

His reply:
"Most likely double due to the armorer schedule"

I sent the reciever and it was received on 1-14-20. At the 3 week point I sent an email just to touch base as I figured it was completed. I didn't hear back. At the 4 week point I sent this:

2-9-20
"Hello Bryan,
I emailed over a week ago for an update and never got a response. We are into week 4 now and I didn't expect it to take this long. I do understand that things can take longer than expected though. Has the reciever been coated yet? When do you expect this to ship back to me?
Thank you,
John Girgenti"

His reply:
"The lead times are always extended when sending in assembled parts.  The LWRC lowers need a special tool to get all of the control out prior to coating, which we needed to get.  We avoid open ended status updates until we have something relevant to report.  It is in line to get coated in the next day or so, and then back to re-assembly. When its ships, youll get emailed a tracking number completing your order."

My reply:
"Awesome, thank you."

That last email was 2 weeks ago. We are just about 6 weeks at this point. I figured the "special tool" he was referring to was just an excuse. The LWRC receiver comes apart like any other receiver.

View Quote

That was last year?
Or are the dates wrong.

Stuff like coating I get local guys to do it - get to see their work in person - hands and eyes on - plus easy to get stuff back.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:43:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In the business world, "under promise, over deliver" should be everyone's mantra. Don't sugar coat things...if you think it'll take a month, say 5-6 weeks and then come in early if all goes as expected.  If you're lead time is that big, it's because you've already got a bunch of work. Destroying your rep to draw in more work than you can currently handle is not a  good long term strategy. Pissing off customers is almost always a recipe for disaster.
View Quote

This is the kind of company I like to do business with. Don't say 2 weeks if it will be 6.
If I know it's 6 weeks up front I will be ok with that or else look elsewhere.

I work at a machine shop, being on time is huge. If you can't be on time, giving customer a heads up with a honest new delivery date is mandatory.
Part of our ISO audit every year is percent of on time delivery. We were 83% last year, we build 1/4 mil $ tooling that takes months, the late stuff was a week or less.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Strip the threads?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Let me ask you this... did you already pay for it?

In every situation where I paid for something in full for them to work on it the conversation shift from "yeah we'll get it done quick quick quick" to "It'll be done when it's done."  When I had a local gunsmith I could go to he would quote me a price, the turn around, and then I pay it on the day I go pick it up and review the work. He does it really quick.

A good online example I had was with TNTE Sales where they would be like yeah 4-8 weeks then you order it thinking that and suddenly it turns into, "We'll do it whenever it gets done" and you're left on your own.

You're just going to have to keep calling and insisting that they get it done. In the future, try to locate work where you pay them on the condition when it is done. It puts it on them to get the work done in a timely manner and report back to you on the progress. Otherwise, if you already pay them, they're just going to spend more money if they have to get it to you faster.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So, they lied to you.
View Quote

Idk what's going on at this point.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I asked the same thing. Said it happens all the time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm wrong here but no way I'm sending in a complete lower and pay someone to strip it down when it takes less than fifteen minutes to strip yourself, if the OP doesn't know how it's a great time to learn
View Quote

No, you are right. Lesson learned on my part.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That was last year?
Or are the dates wrong.

Stuff like coating I get local guys to do it - get to see their work in person - hands and eyes on - plus easy to get stuff back.

View Quote

I'm sorry I typed 2020, I meant 2021. The rest of the date info is correct.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This is the kind of company I like to do business with. Don't say 2 weeks if it will be 6.
If I know it's 6 weeks up front I will be ok with that or else look elsewhere.

I work at a machine shop, being on time is huge. If you can't be on time, giving customer a heads up with a honest new delivery date is mandatory.
Part of our ISO audit every year is percent of on time delivery. We were 83% last year, we build 1/4 mil $ tooling that takes months, the late stuff was a week or less.
View Quote

I'd be fine with this if they told me the truth and communicated with me. If there is a delay, send me an email. I will understand. If you broke something, send me an email. Customer service is all about communication.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Let me ask you this... did you already pay for it?

In every situation where I paid for something in full for them to work on it the conversation shift from "yeah we'll get it done quick quick quick" to "It'll be done when it's done."  When I had a local gunsmith I could go to he would quote me a price, the turn around, and then I pay it on the day I go pick it up and review the work. He does it really quick.

A good online example I had was with TNTE Sales where they would be like yeah 4-8 weeks then you order it thinking that and suddenly it turns into, "We'll do it whenever it gets done" and you're left on your own.

You're just going to have to keep calling and insisting that they get it done. In the future, try to locate work where you pay them on the condition when it is done. It puts it on them to get the work done in a timely manner and report back to you on the progress. Otherwise, if you already pay them, they're just going to spend more money if they have to get it to you faster.
View Quote

I did, yes. They wanted the money up front and I didn't think much of it at the time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I did, yes. They wanted the money up front and I didn't think much of it at the time.
View Quote

Well there's your issue. Once you give these people money, that's it. They have no further obligation to keep up their end of the bargain since they didn't sign any sort of contract or anything.

My advice is a simple one. Call them up and tell them that you need to know the status of your items and that you were quoted 2 weeks and it is now X weeks over that. Tell them that you need to hear a response within a reasonable timeframe or you will begin the process of recovering your funds starting with a call to the bank and perhaps lawyer on recovering the value of your lowers and whatever else you sent them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I asked the same thing. Said it happens all the time.
View Quote

Damn, if it happens once they should learn and not do it again. But hey at least they said it’s done.

@JG-RN I’d remove your full name from that post above
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Im 0/2 with them.

Its unfortunate because they came highly recommended from someone I respect.

Mine was a cerakote that took much longer then expected, the other was a kydex holster that was "unfinished" in my opinion.

I will never use them again.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:00:32 AM EDT
[#42]
I think the weather has out a strain on a lot of businesses last week.  Gun guys are notoriously optimistic and notoriously behind schedule.  Give it time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:55:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Damn, if it happens once they should learn and not do it again. But hey at least they said it’s done.

@JG-RN I’d remove your full name from that post above
View Quote

Thanks, done.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Im 0/2 with them.

Its unfortunate because they came highly recommended from someone I respect.

Mine was a cerakote that took much longer then expected, the other was a kydex holster that was "unfinished" in my opinion.

I will never use them again.
View Quote

You too huh?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Not unreasonable, but sending out a perfectly good assembled lower for this kind of work is asking for trouble.  It's one step below taking your upper to a random local "gunsmith" looking for a pin and weld.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think the weather has out a strain on a lot of businesses last week.  Gun guys are notoriously optimistic and notoriously behind schedule.  Give it time.
View Quote

Is that what caused your EE feedback?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Is that what caused your EE feedback?
View Quote

Did I read my EE feedback?  I have something wrong with email connection.  Asswipe.  I have not cheated anyone, nor die my EE feedback or credit rating have anything to do with my sincere comment.

How’s your drug testing going?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:14:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Bust a deal,face the wheel
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#49]
I emailed Bryan just to touch base with the owner. Said its been done for 2 weeks now, and threw in "as discussed when you called the other day". "Waiting on ambi bolt release which broke upon reinstall." The manager told me ambi safety and the owner tells me ambi bolt release.

I've ordered from LWRC before and I've always gotten my order within days. Not 2+ weeks.

I dont know what's bullshit and what's not. I just know I'm along for the ride. One thing I will say is Bryan has been completely unapologetic. No apologies or empathy about this taking so long.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
I do want it done right thats part of the job understanding when I ask for something done. NOBODY wants a crappy job and they could have said back log mean we'll get to in 2 months. Than OP would have no reason to complain. If they set a time frame I expect then to keep it. I would think maybe THEY need to be more realistic about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top