Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2021 10:46:20 PM EDT
I have 2 KAC ARs (my only ones). Am I dumb for wanting one that doesn't have proprietary parts as a "just in case rifle?" I have a way to get an LWRC DI gun for 1300 bnib.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#1]
No. It's logical to have a rifle that has parts interchangeability. If that LWRC is an IC-DI model, that's a good buy. The ambi lower is (I think) the best out there, fit and finish is top notch, and their enhanced bcg is a work of art.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Only issue with that is LWRC is fairly proprietary.  Especially in regards to the upper.  I only own their lowers now
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The good news with KAC is they’ll last a really long time comparing to other ones out there. They’re supposed to last over the 20k ranges so I don’t think you’ll be wearing it out.

With that said you can always just buy an upper and use your KAC lowers to swap them as you want.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Not dumb at all....good strategy IMO, I have the same strategy for rifles and pistols...

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The parts on your KAC rifle that are likely to ware/break or be lost in normal use are commonly available.  Just keep some spare parts on-hand.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:41:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Isnt the proprietary part of kac mostly down to bolt and barrel?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:43:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have 2 KAC ARs (my only ones). Am I dumb for wanting one that doesn't have proprietary parts as a "just in case rifle?" I have a way to get an LWRC DI gun for 1300 bnib.
View Quote

If you outlive your LWRC, you will have plenty of spare rifles.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#9]
The BCG, barrel, and gas system are all standard milspec components in the LWRC right?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Isnt the proprietary part of kac mostly down to bolt and barrel?
View Quote

Whole gas system too
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#11]
The biggest reasons why the standard DI AR is a good rifle to have to me is parts and how easy it is to maintenance.

I love my e3 stuff along with other non AR stuff but it's definitely not a dumb idea along with spare parts.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an extra BCG for the knights guns, but the barrels/gas system are much harder to source. Not to mention, the tools to install the proprietary parts are difficult to find.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the following breakdown:

DD, LMT, KAC, Larue, PWS and ADM

KAC, LMT, PWS and Larue has its own proprietary issues....DD and ADM are common.  

With LMT it is the barrel (MRP) and barrel locking systems.  I have a spare barrel and locking screws.  Two of the LMTs are pistons and I have spare op rods and one spare BC

KAC, I have two sapre BCGs for the 556 and a spare bolt bolt for the 762

Larue, I think I can get away with some of the commmon sapres I have

PWS, no spares for it, trying to buy some but OOS

The others, I have a lot of spares includung BCGs
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have an extra BCG for the knights guns, but the barrels/gas system are much harder to source. Not to mention, the tools to install the proprietary parts are difficult to find.
View Quote

The BCG is not proprietary so that’s kind of a mute point. I’d keep their tools and springs and detents. It’s very unlikely that the gas system will fail in any way.

Edit. I forgot about the e3 bolt and extension and the cam pin. I guess you would need a bolt and cam pin however the carrier is normal.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Whole gas system too
View Quote

Pretty sure the dust cover on at least some of them in proprietary too.

ETA: had LWRC on the mind, not KAC
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Not dumb at all.

Same reason I’ve standardized ammo and mags in my safe.. with just a couple of exceptions for collection purpose.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not dumb at all.

Same reason I’ve standardized ammo and mags in my safe.. with just a couple of exceptions for collection purpose.
View Quote

I usually tried to stick to this line of thinking and only because of the ammo prices have I decided to direct my extra funds towards other stuff.

With this said I'm so used to being prepared with mags, ammo, and extra parts that my new stuff seems naked without having tons of mags and spare parts.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I would suggest going with a Colt 6920.  If you are wanting non proprietary parts what you are really seeking is long term reliability and service life.  In my opinion Colt is the top choice in that department and I would not look anywhere else.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Not dumb. It's the reason I don't own a KAC.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh I’ll add that you’ll only need a spare complete upper to be gtg since the KAC will take any milspec receiver.

Buy a colt conversion kit and don’t look back.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The BCG is not proprietary so that’s kind of a mute point. I’d keep their tools and springs and detents. It’s very unlikely that the gas system will fail in any way.

Edit. I forgot about the e3 bolt and extension and the cam pin. I guess you would need a bolt and cam pin however the carrier is normal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not tryin to be a dick, but it’s moot point just so you know.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Not dumb at all. Easy part interchangeability is key!
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah now I have to find a high quality one thats not overpriced
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#24]
OK I am reading this and I admit I was out of the game for a while.  When did KAC become so propriety, are we talking about the whole E3 bolt etc. or something more?  I have 2 KAC rifles that I have put together as well, one is from the 90s and one is recent.  I guess I should google but I would hope someone could give me a quick understanding of when they made the change.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OK I am reading this and I admit I was out of the game for a while.  When did KAC become so propriety, are we talking about the whole E3 bolt etc. or something more?  I have 2 KAC rifles that I have put together as well, one is from the 90s and one is recent.  I guess I should google but I would hope someone could give me a quick understanding of when they made the change.
View Quote

definitely barrel, gas system, and bolt. Not sure if they have proprietary carriers too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#27]
You may be dumb since most, if not all, LWRC rifles have proprietary parts .
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Moot point.  Otherwise agree.

Go Rebs!  Hotty Toddy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You may be dumb since most, if not all, LWRC rifles have proprietary parts .
View Quote

What’s proprietary
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What’s proprietary
View Quote

Upper, rail(both how it mounts to upper and how you attach stuff unless you get the mlok), barrel nut, barrel nut wrench,, barrel indexing pin, bolt carrier is one piece design, and then obviously the ambi bolt catch/release.

Some of the other parts are enhanced by them like left side ambi mag release, safety, etc, but can be replaced with any milspec part.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Upper, rail(both how it mounts to upper and how you attach stuff unless you get the mlok), barrel nut, barrel nut wrench,, barrel indexing pin, bolt carrier is one piece design, and then obviously the ambi bolt catch/release.

Some of the other parts are enhanced by them like left side ambi mag release, safety, etc, but can be replaced with any milspec part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s proprietary

I should’ve been more specific, I’m not too concerned with barrel nut and that level of maintenance. More so gas system/bcg. As far as I know, LWRC rifles come with a proprietary carrier, but will also accept milspec bcgs. And I’m not dumb enough to get a gun with a proprietary mounting system haha
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I should’ve been more specific, I’m not too concerned with barrel nut and that level of maintenance. More so gas system/bcg. As far as I know, LWRC rifles come with a proprietary carrier, but will also accept milspec bcgs. And I’m not dumb enough to get a gun with a proprietary mounting system haha
View Quote

Totally understand.  I was even ready to get the barrel nut wrench myself until I was made aware that not every milspec barrel can work as a replacement in their uppers and that they would only mount one of their own barrels should you shoot one out.  That just didn't sit right with me so I dumped them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Get the lwrc if you want it but I'd consider them closer to proprietary similar to a kac rather than just getting something like a 6920 or DD just to have a normal AR.

You have a kac and a backup so chances are you will be good to go for a long time before bcg's and barrel swaps so getting what you want over need is fine here.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#34]
One of the reasons I've never gotten into Gucci carbines is due to proprietary parts.

I like all my stuff to be interchangeable if I need it to be.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:40:20 AM EDT
[#35]
I gave up on the proprietary stuff. I also shoot M193 98% of the time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I get the urge to not want to have a rifle with proprietary parts. Buddy of mine just bought the LWRC DI gun as well and it is a really nice rifle. While the rail to upper interface is rock solid, it bugged me that it was proprietary and you will be forever stuck with that rail. May not seem like a big deal now but I have at least one gun in the safe that I built over a decade ago that has had numerous rail changes. Then there is the ambi lower. Someone else said it can take milspec components if you needed to swap them out. I could see that with the mag release and safety but not sure how that would work with the bolt release. At that price, however,  I would pick it up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Nope, super smart.

It’s the only reason I don’t have a KAC.

I have a SCAR16 that used to be my “main rifle”. It’s been through some classes, and has about 5,000 rds through it. I love it.

Buuuuut no one else runs one as a primary. So I got a DD MK18. Still absolutely love the scar. Best suppressor host ever. But now my MK18 has taken the throne.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Ended up with a colt 6960
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top