Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/10/2020 5:29:14 PM EDT
Hey guys, never owned or shot an AR with a Geissele trigger. I hear that for standard use the SSA or SSA-E are the way to go. I will never be a competitive shooter and I'll use my rifle for range fun and home defense. Are there other triggers, drop in or non, that compare to the SSA? Just looking for variety.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I had an SSA-E. It was a great trigger.

But for my gun, only used for range and as my “duty” rifle if I ever need it in HD or otherwise, I sold it for about what I paid for it, bought a LaRue MBT and bought ammo with the extra cash.

The MBT gives up nothing for my purposes to the G.

I think you will find widespread agreement that the MBT May fit your needs perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
i have a Geissele SD-E and SSA-E they are really nice two-stage triggers and make everything i put trough my rifles go boom including thousands of rounds of steel case.

i have recently switched to single stage trigger and am starting to prefer them over the two-stage especially in my HD rifle.

i put a wilson combat TR-TTU in my HD rifle and have been very happy with it, i did have an elftmann 3 gun trigger in it which i love. i took the elf trigger out its just not something i would trust for self-defense.

its really hard to beat a nice single stage with no take up or creep, just apply pressure and them boom.

ETA: i really like flat bow triggers they feel a little different and its easier for me to get the pull i like, nothing wrong with the curved bow however.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#3]
LaRue's MBT is roughly equivalent to an SSA.

I prefer the SSA, SSA-E, and other G triggers over it (likely due to the trigger bow).  But the MBT is not a bad trigger by any stretch.  I just prefer the feel of the G triggers.

G also offers a budget line of triggers.  I have no experience with them, so i cannot comment any further than that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]
MBT has a pretty comparable feel for a lot less dough.

If you know you want a Geissele trigger, check out the Brownells special edition, the B-G2S-E. I've bought them for ~135 on sale.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Just for further details / clarification, I don't think I could even tell you what a really good trigger it's supposed to feel like. I like my PSA "enhanced polished fire control group" just fine. Now that I have a new rifle incoming I want to get something better. I want to trigger that allows you to shoot fast and accurate.

I did install an ALG AKT trigger in my SLR-106 and I really like how that one feels. If I had a trigger that felt just like that in my AR I'd be very content.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#6]
there is a huge difference between my ALG ACT and my SSA-E if that helps.

ive read tons of good reviews on the mbt 2s. ive never tried one but wouldnt hesitate if i was on a budget. im pretty sure its the better value. that being said, i have a few SSA-Es and cant see myself buying anything else for a 2 stage going forward. the SSP is my favorite single stage.

geissele has sales several times a year where you can get them for about $170. $240 is too much IMO. i think the mbt2s is about $80 all day.

if you end up with the SSA-E youre not going to be able to go back down from there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I have owned SSA, SSA-E, and the budget SSA (G2S?).  I found the MBT-2S to be indistinguishable from the SSA and G2S.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#8]
MBT is a crowd favorite. I have a g2s which is a budget ssa which I like although I would rather have the spring weight of the ssa-e.

If you actually shoot this gun alot then be aware of some of reliability concerns about drop in cassette triggers with them getting gunked up. Unfortunately there are not a ton of good single action triggers in the non drop in style
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#9]
An SD-C...
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#10]
The Larue sounds to be a great trigger for a really good price and will probably be the route I go with. I appreciate all of the educated and first hand advice. Now the question comes down to whether it's a 4.5 lb two stage or a 5.5 lb single stage. I really like and prefer single stage, but I also want a lighter weight pull. Has anyone ever used a lighter spring to lighten the pull, and is that even advisable? I don't want to sacrifice reliability. I do primarily shoot Russian steel ammo, which I think can have harder primers.(?)
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#11]
MBT is pretty much THE answer, not really AN answer.

If you want to go better than that, Geissele has "enhanced" versions of their triggers (aka SSA vs. SSA-E).  The feel is what Geissele himself describes as the difference in breaking a raw carrot vs breaking a candy cane.  Both are good, but the enhanced are more crisp.

I've shot the RRA 2 stage, MBT, and currently own an SSA, SD-E, and a HSNM (Geissele's top of the line trigger) and I'd agree with others...the SSA and the MBT are more or less the same.  The SD-E is definitely more crisp (SD series has a flat bow), and the HSNM is simply flawless.

Just get the MBT and spend the rest on ammo.  As you get deeper into the "hobby" side of upgrading/figuring out what you like, you can upgrade if you want, but it's really just a preference thing.  I started with an SSA, and keep upgrading from there.  I've found that it raises your standard more than anything else, which is bad for the wallet.

ETA: Number of stages is a preference. I prefer two stage triggers. You'll have people that swear by them either way, but there is no "wrong" answer.  I was given the reasoning that if you're shooting precision/slow, you can hit the wall of the second stage pretty easy then the trigger only "feels" as heavy as the second stage, yet in an adrenaline situation where you're likely to yank the trigger (coarse motor reflex), you'll need to pull through the total two stage pull weight.  Maybe it makes sense, maybe it's BS.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey guys, never owned or shot an AR with a Geissele trigger. I hear that for standard use the SSA or SSA-E are the way to go. I will never be a competitive shooter and I'll use my rifle for range fun and home defense. Are there other triggers, drop in or non, that compare to the SSA? Just looking for variety.
View Quote
cost aside, I prefer the LaRue mbt2s.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:50:51 PM EDT
[#13]
LaRue MBT is an incredible value.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:26:22 AM EDT
[#14]
The Larue MBT-2S is a better trigger and half the price. No brainer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#15]
LaRue MBT
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#16]
If you're gonna go single stage and it's an HD gun I'd leave it stock.

I've been through all of 'em and for HD a stock trigger works fine.

The light single stage triggers can be real easy to double or bump on you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:48:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Triggertech diamond
Hiperfire eclipse
Geissele sde
Mbt2

In that order
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Hiperfire (older model, 24E I think) set to 2.5lbs for my "accuracy" rig.  Works great, but not quite as nice as my worked over 10/22 trigger.  About the same weight, but the 10/22 is a straight smooth pull through that you don't even feel break.  The hiperfire you can feel it.  Not bad, just different.

A standard mil-spec trigger is workable (esp. for home defense and just banging around) but who doesn't like a nicer trigger?  The PSA EPT (and other "enhanced" type basic triggers from various vendors) is a tad better than milspec, but mostly from a lack of "grittiness".

However, the PSA EPT plus a Kaw Valley "reduced trigger pull spring kit" makes a very nice very usable trigger for just about everything but super precision.  This is the combo I run in my AR-9 and my "irons" AR15 carbine, and am doing up another one tomorrow (762x39).  Inexpensive but not cheap and it works for my needs.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:41:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the SSA and SSA-E and had an MBT. I sold the MBT because I just didn’t like the feel of the wider trigger. I would say that the MBT was similar in feel (trigger break) to the SSA and it’s a lot cheaper. I just didn’t like the wider trigger face. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the SSA and SSA-E and had an MBT. I sold the MBT because I just didn’t like the feel of the wider trigger. I would say that the MBT was similar in feel (trigger break) to the SSA and it’s a lot cheaper. I just didn’t like the wider trigger face. YMMV.
View Quote
Old trick from the DA revolver heydays - hte wider trigger face gives more area to pull on which reduces how heavy the trigger feels even though the actual mechanical pull isn't different.  Has something to do with the pressure sensations being spread out across more of your finger tip.  A pull scale will never notice it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I went with the straight bow MBT-1S. Thanks for all of your inputs!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I live down the street from Geissle, have an SSA , and an SSA-E . They’re great but I’ve switched to the MBT . Can’t bet the value for the money and no compromise in quality.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Geissele doesn't make competitive triggers. they make gucci combat triggers. if you want a better than stock trigger similar without the cost its hard to beat the LaRue.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
LaRue MBT is an incredible value.
View Quote
[/thread]
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Nothing else in the MBT price range comes close. It’s a lot of trigger for the money.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Geissele doesn't make competitive triggers. they make gucci combat triggers. if you want a better than stock trigger similar without the cost its hard to beat the LaRue.
View Quote
You wouldn't consider the Geissele Hi-Speed National Match a competitive trigger?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The Larue sounds to be a great trigger for a really good price and will probably be the route I go with. I appreciate all of the educated and first hand advice. Now the question comes down to whether it's a 4.5 lb two stage or a 5.5 lb single stage. I really like and prefer single stage, but I also want a lighter weight pull. Has anyone ever used a lighter spring to lighten the pull, and is that even advisable? I don't want to sacrifice reliability. I do primarily shoot Russian steel ammo, which I think can have harder primers.(?)
View Quote
Seems like its norm is around 80.00 these days. Very good deal imo.

You can also get the single-stage MBT-1S. Comes with 2 springs rated at 5.5 and 6.5. Sounds a little high but keep in mind a quality trigger at those rates feels noticeably lighter.

The 2-stage is set at 2.5 + 2.0 = 4.5 (so to speak). I have 1 and really like it. Damn good value.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:09:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You wouldn't consider the Geissele Hi-Speed National Match a competitive trigger?
View Quote
I own the SD-3G and IMO its not a very good trigger and definitely not worth the $240 they charge. IME something like a jewell is a much nicer target trigger. OP was asking about one of their standard offerings though and they are certainly boutique combat triggers.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is the only G trigger I have left. The others have been replaced by MBT2s w/ heavy springs. I prefer the shape of the Larue trigger, seem to be in the minority on that one...
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I’ve currently got a couple MBT 2S, an LMT Gen 4 2 Stage, and an SD-E.  I’ve previously owned two or three SSA-E, an SSA, some ALG ACT’s.

I prefer different triggers for different tasks and I really think it comes down to preference- The MBT 2S is an exceptional value but there are faster triggers out there.

I really like LMT’s 2 stage even though most on here claim it’s total garbage.  I also really like the SD-E- very different trigger than the LMT or MBT.  It really depends on what you like and what you want to do with it.

For your needs & wants, it sounds like any quality trigger will serve you well- based on value alone, it may be worth your while to look at the G2S or MBT.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:12:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I own the SD-3G and IMO its not a very good trigger and definitely not worth the $240 they charge. IME something like a jewell is a much nicer target trigger. OP was asking about one of their standard offerings though and they are certainly boutique combat triggers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just replying to your particular statement of "Geissele doesn't make competitive triggers." I would disagree with that based on them still offering the Geissele Hi-Speed National Match which is almost specifically a competitive trigger. So I wouldn't say Geissele doesn't make competitive triggers.

Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the only G trigger I have left. The others have been replaced by MBT2s w/ heavy springs. I prefer the shape of the Larue trigger, seem to be in the minority on that one...
I agree. The MBT2S is a fantastic trigger and I also prefer the shape and feel of the LaRue trigger.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Could try a Foxtrot Mike 2stage for the same price range of LaRue
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I really like LMT’s 2 stage even though most on here claim it’s total garbage.  
View Quote
I think that's probably because most of them are not the Gen 4 2-stage.

I agree, it's a nice trigger.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really like LMT’s 2 stage even though most on here claim it’s total garbage.  

Is there any way to tell what gen the trigger is?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Is there any way to tell what gen the trigger is?
View Quote
Gen 1 is pretty easy to tell apart, it looks and apparently feels more like a conventional RRA type trigger. The trigger shoe is also curved in traditional manner.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-xock0/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2281/1954/LMP2400-2__73158.1404847094.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

From Gen 2 to Gen 4 they become harder to tell apart, as all three generations have a flatter "hybrid" shoe shape. The Gen 2, however, does still seem to have a slightly more curved shoe. A bigger giveaway though is the shape of the hammer-notice how the end of it has an angled cut. They were introduced in 2012, I believe.

https://cdn3.volusion.com/5ykbe.xaud6/v/vspfiles/photos/LMT2400-2.jpg?v-cache=1382167980

The shoe and hammer shape on Gen 3 and 4 look practically identical. The telling sign seems to be the front and back of the disconnector. On Gen 3 (introduced 2015) it has sharper angles at the back and this "bar" (I'm not sure what the proper terminology is) at the front I believe.

https://i.imgur.com/K4uNsEg.jpg

Gen 4 was introduced in 2019.

https://lmtdefense.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Gen-4-Trigger-Transparent.png
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Gen 1 is pretty easy to tell apart, it looks and apparently feels more like a conventional RRA type trigger. The trigger shoe is also curved in traditional manner.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-xock0/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2281/1954/LMP2400-2__73158.1404847094.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

From Gen 2 to Gen 4 they become harder to tell apart, as all three generations have a flatter "hybrid" shoe shape. The Gen 2, however, does still seem to have a slightly more curved shoe. A bigger giveaway though is the shape of the hammer-notice how the end of it has an angled cut. They were introduced in 2012, I believe.

https://cdn3.volusion.com/5ykbe.xaud6/v/vspfiles/photos/LMT2400-2.jpg?v-cache=1382167980

The shoe and hammer shape on Gen 3 and 4 look practically identical. The telling sign seems to be the front and back of the disconnector. On Gen 3 (introduced 2015) it has sharper angles at the back and this "bar" (I'm not sure what the proper terminology is) at the front I believe.

https://i.imgur.com/K4uNsEg.jpg

Gen 4 was introduced in 2019.

https://lmtdefense.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Gen-4-Trigger-Transparent.png
View Quote
@45custom

Very nice breakdown!
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks! Takes a little bit of deduction but I think I've mostly figured it out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I had one as well. Consistently the fastest splits I have ever shot but it doubled or bumped too easily prone or off barricades.

JP was a little slower but had to be timed and would fall out of time after enough rounds.

CMC is pretty good for a 'less worry' single stage. Despite the comment above about cassette triggers being problematic, there are a lot of high round count units in gaming circles that are doing well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I got my MBT-1S installed today. I screwed up and ordered the curved trigger instead of the straight bow but just went with it anyways. Doesn't feel as nice as my ALG trigger in my SLR-106 but it is definitely better than the stock trigger. If the Geissele SSA isn't leaps and bounds better than this one I am certainly glad that I paid $80 instead of the $154 for a SSA. I am very happy with my purchase though. Thanks for everyone who weighed in!

Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I got my MBT-1S installed today. I screwed up and ordered the curved trigger instead of the straight bow but just went with it anyways. Doesn't feel as nice as my ALG trigger in my SLR-106 but it is definitely better than the stock trigger. If the Geissele SSA isn't leaps and bounds better than this one I am certainly glad that I paid $80 instead of the $154 for a SSA. I am very happy with my purchase though. Thanks for everyone who weighed in!

https://i.imgur.com/ljOB1g0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cthFLhQ.jpg
View Quote
I think most that have owned both the MBT-1S and MBT-2S will say the 1S is a slight dissapointment and let down compared to how good the 2S is. With the 1S being about the same as a BCM PNT or ALG ACT.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I think most that have owned both the MBT-1S and MBT-2S will say the 1S is a slight dissapointment and let down compared to how good the 2S is. With the 1S being about the same as a BCM PNT or ALG ACT.
View Quote
I have several rifles with BCM PNT triggers installed. I have been wondering if the MBT-1S would be a noticeable improvement. You sound like you have experience with both. Can you go into some detail about why you don't find much difference in the two? I have been thinking of trying one, but not for the extra $20 cost over the PNT if they are that similar.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#44]
I think the MBT-2S is “close enough” to the SSA to favor it for 4.5-6 lb. two stage triggers, if you can deal with the shoe differences and given the cost savings.  Shoe style is subjective.

But, if you have a sub MOA rifle and want to get the most out of it with a two stage trigger, go with the 3.5 lb total pass through weight Geissele SSA-E.  2.3 first stage, 1.2 second stage, approximately.

The 1.2 lb. “breaks right now” second stage can be held indefinitely at the end of the first stage while adjusting your sight picture and breathing.  Add that little barely one pound more pressure and the crisp, clean break produces amazingly consistent results.  I does this while retaining the full weight hammer spring for hard primers.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#45]
So I finally shot my AR with the MBT-1S installed. Definitely a big difference over my old PSA rifle with the enhanced trigger group. Not as light as my ALG AK-E trigger (which is to be expected) but it feels noticeabley more positive in it's engagement with the sear and in reset, more "clicky". Like feeling the detent engage when working a safety.

Between it's smoother, shorter pull and reset, it made follow up shots a lot quicker and more accurate. I highly recommend if you want a single stage trigger combat trigger.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Larue MBT 2S
Great quality, great feel, and great price.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

i was disappointed with the MBT-1s. i think the ALG ACT is better trigger.  the SSP is my choice for single stage.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#48]
After being dissatisfied with an Aimsurplus SSTAT trigger I bought for my M&P 15-22, I just ordered a Larue MBT-2S as a replacement. If it's that much better than the 1S then maybe I'll swap it out with my Mk18.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#49]
The G2S or B-G2S-E is what you want.

I know this isnt popular opinion but I wouldn't put another MBT in one of my rifles if it was given to me. With the light spring the reset is way too weak, I literally had to remove my finger for the two MBTs I've used to reset. It works great with the heavier spring that comes with it though. I also dislike how wide and unfinished the trigger felt, i much prefer a contoured trigger shoe but I think that's one way LaRue keeps the cost of the MBT down, less machining.

You can routinely find a Geissele G2S on sale for between $100 and $120 so the cost of the G2S vs MBT is negligible IMO.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Duplicate
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top