AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Air Force GAU-5A Rifle (Page 1 of 4)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/24/2019 11:25:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Midwest_Ind]
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice....I carried the GAU-5A back in the 80's as a USAF K-9 handler!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice.  I would be interested in a clone.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#5]
How about a law tactical folder stock with a 10.5 barrel red dot and an extra mag.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 1:53:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#6]
Pretty neat!  I'd have to have one.  I do not love the barrel nut tension screws.  Aesthetically speaking, I think MI could do better.  I know, I'm nit picking.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m in.  Pistol good.  I’ll SBR it on a form 1.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#9]
IMHO, I wonder if you would be better off selling it as an upper or as a kit.

Just the upper, no sights.
The upper, sights, and grip.

Part of the question would be how accurate it would be to being a proper clone?  I have read that the adaptor has changed and that the barrel is BCM.  I couldn't find what gas block they are using.

I really don't think it would sell well.  When I have talked to people about this gun the responses have always been negative.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats, OP.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool!
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Postal0311:
IMHO, I wonder if you would be better off selling it as an upper or as a kit.

Just the upper, no sights.
The upper, sights, and grip.

Part of the question would be how accurate it would be to being a proper clone?  I have read that the adaptor has changed and that the barrel is BCM.  I couldn't find what gas block they are using.

I really don't think it would sell well.  When I have talked to people about this gun the responses have always been negative.
View Quote
Speak for yourself and not for others. The responses in this thread so far state otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#13]
CAR stock to bring the weight down? Is the free float rail necessary for a survival rifle?

I think it's a solid looking weapon. Good job to you and your company.  I would certinally think a civilian version would be appealing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Make a clone.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:

Speak for yourself and not for others. The responses in this thread so far state otherwise.
View Quote
You might want to check out some of ARFCOM's previous discussions about this weapon system to see how the public feels about it.

I think it is cool and I want one.  But to john q public it is a niche of a niche.  It is built to fit in a particular size location and the average person is not worried about.  There isn't much name recognition of the system, no videos of Navy Seals doing cool things with it.  Most of the time it is brought up, people will ask why the AF didn't just buy Sig Rattlers.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Definitely cool, MI. I really enjoy your products.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I want one, would prefer non-NFA (16 inch barrel). Looks quite interesting.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah man, I say throw an SBA4 on it and sell it as a pistol. I think it'd do really well, and it'd be easy to SBR that way if someone wanted to.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#20]
That's pretty cool. I'd buy a pistol clone of it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I’d buy one
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Midwest_Ind:
If we build some clones it will be our version of the issued gun . This is definitely not for everyone but nothing is. It would be a very niche novelty type firearm. I agree it’s not a Arfcom tier one seal delta sniper door gunner rifle but it’s still cool.

Troy
MI
View Quote
I like it and knowing how folks "must have" this and that, I believe it'd be worth your time and effort. Nice job and appreciate your quality parts.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks but why not just break a normal GAU at the takedown pins and make a plastic cover for each half? With the folding grip it would have still fit in the seat.

I have an ACES seat pack laying in my office.  I know this for a fact.  It seems like an expensive way to address a simple problem.

I breakdown my 16in gun often to take it to the range in a backpack.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Interesting, any idea on the price range?
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Very cool!  I’d definitely love to have a clone.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By mdavister:
I want one, would prefer non-NFA (16 inch barrel). Looks quite interesting.
View Quote
This is why the upper with the pistol grip may be a good idea to look into.  People may for whatever reason not like the shorter barrel.  I’d buy the pistol clone with or without the lower, but it may expand your market to offer it without the pistol brace and lower.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Tbh, I'm shocked there isn't more emphasis on saving weight. That thing looks 'heavy' for an airplane gun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Presented without comment;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ENCaRlYOM
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
Tbh, I'm shocked there isn't more emphasis on saving weight. That thing looks 'heavy' for an airplane gun.
View Quote
What looks heavy? Looks like a bare bones AR to me.

I’d be in for a pistol version.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By M-4matus:
Pretty neat!  I'd have to have one.  I do not love the barrel nut tension screws.  Aesthetically speaking, I think MI could do better.  I know, I'm nit picking.
View Quote
Then it wouldn’t be a clone.. duh
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#31]
You might want to check out some of ARFCOM's previous discussions about this weapon system to see how the public feels about it.

I think it is cool and I want one.  But to john q public it is a niche of a niche.  It is built to fit in a particular size location and the average person is not worried about.  There isn't much name recognition of the system, no videos of Navy Seals doing cool things with it.  Most of the time it is brought up, people will ask why the AF didn't just buy Sig Rattlers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tranzformer:

Don’t buy it then. Poo poo the post all you want.  I am in for one.  The weapon is a done deal.  He didn’t ask you for all of that BS.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By hotbiggun42:

I'd be in for a pistol version.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hotbiggun42:
Originally Posted By jos51700:

I'd be in for a pistol version.
The free float metal handguard looks heavier than a standard polymer handguard w/heat sheilds
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#33]
what is the barrel lenght?
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Thank you MI for helping develope a weapon system for our angels in the sky.  If I were an AF pilot I would be happy to see you guys had a hand in a weapon that could potentially be used to save my life.

That is a pretty unique looking weapon system also any thoughts if the system will be sold to civilians for cloning?
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

any thoughts if the system will be sold to civilians for cloning?
View Quote
That is the point of the MI post isn’t it?
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ErikS:
Thanks but why not just break a normal GAU at the takedown pins and make a plastic cover for each half? With the folding grip it would have still fit in the seat.

I have an ACES seat pack laying in my office.  I know this for a fact.  It seems like an expensive way to address a simple problem.

I breakdown my 16in gun often to take it to the range in a backpack.
View Quote
< shrug > Ask the Air Force?
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Alexbrooks:

Don’t buy it then. Poo poo the post all you want.  I am in for one.  The weapon is a done deal.  He didn’t ask you for all of that BS.
View Quote
@AlexBrooks The OP, our Midwest Industries rep, specifically said, "Your thoughts on offering this would be appreciated."

Once again, I say:

I think Midwest would be smart to offer it in a few different forms:
1.  An upper receiver group(URG) with no sights or accessories
2.  An URG with the sights and folding grip.
3.  Lastly, complete firearms.

Another note, the clone community is pretty nutty and picky.  The closer you can get it to being exactly correct, the more they will like it.

But unfortunately this is not a well known military model.  Midwest Ind might want to do an advertising campaign about how their stuff is in use with the Airforce.  Last time I talked about this weapon system, someone asked me if a MK18 upper and lower would be smaller.  They didn't realize that this broken down is 5 inches shorter than a MK18 broken down, and has a 2.2 inch longer barrel when it is put together.  It would be smart for Midwest Ind to show these facts in their advertising.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By john575:
How about a law tactical folder stock with a 10.5 barrel red dot and an extra mag.
View Quote
Because that wouldn't really be a GAU-5A clone at that point would it?
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#40]
That's super cool, but I couldn't justify spending the money.  I think that will be a common response.  But, presumably you are already set up to make them, so why not lot a few out for the niche market?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 1:28:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: retroguy] [#41]
I just started my GAU-5A ASDW build buying what seems to be the hardest part to find, the FAB Defense AGF-43S folding pistol grip. I had to order mine from the UK (my bad) ecopusa on gunbroker for the lowest price.

ETA: I thought I had ordered off eBay from a UK seller, but I searched on gunbroker and found the lowest price with free shipping.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By retroguy:
I just started my GAU-5A ASDW build buying what seems to be the hardest part to find, the FAB Defense AGF-43S folding pistol grip. I had to order mine from the UK for the lowest price.
View Quote
Cheaper than Optics Planet?
https://www.opticsplanet.com/fab-defense-ergonomic-folding-black-pistol-grip-for-m16-m4-ar15.html
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 2:04:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaskanforfreedom] [#43]
At what price point? That is the magical question. I think it would be a cool product to own personally but it would all come down to the price point. In the pic of the broken down firearm it looks like MBUS Pro sights, but what sights would the rifle come with?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 2:35:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: retroguy] [#44]
Originally Posted By ThRob:
Cheaper than Optics Planet?
View Quote
Yes. For the issue black one, I paid $38.99, with free shipping from ecopusa on gunbroker.

And they still have them for that price with free shipping:

FAB Defense fx-agf43sb Folding AGF-43S Beavertail
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
At what price point? That is the magical question. I think it would be a cool product to own personally but it would all come down to the price point. In the pic of the broken down firearm it looks like MBUS Pro sights, but what sights would the rifle come with?
View Quote
See my reply above about the folding grip price. The front sight is the Magpul MBUS PRO Steel Backup Sight (Front), while the rear sight is the Magpul MBUS PRO LR Adjustable Rear Sight.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#46]
It would be cool to see a picture of the bag or compartment it fits inside of.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By gohuskers:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gohuskers:
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.w3pcIbu05pO8fOMY1QAwXwHaGs&pid=Api&rs=1
Very compact for sure.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By retroguy:

See my reply above about the folding grip price. The front sight is the Magpul MBUS PRO Steel Backup Sight (Front), while the rear sight is the Magpul MBUS PRO LR Adjustable Rear Sight.
View Quote
Sorry my question was for midwest industries about the price of the firearm I appreciate the answer about the sights though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#50]
We have these in our (B-52) seat kits when we go downrange, so I'd buy at least an upper to practice with. Maybe the whole rifle (well, pistol) if the price was reasonable.

Any idea what sort of ammo the USAF is including in the seat kits? Hopefully brown tip but mk262 would be ok too. Gotta make up for the short barrel somehow.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Air Force GAU-5A Rifle (Page 1 of 4)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top