Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/13/2021 8:28:56 AM EDT
Just wanted to share this with any other CompM5S owners since our mount options are limited.  With the help of Aimpoint US CS (thank you JE), we nailed down a lower-third option that EXACTLY matches the optic line-of-sight height above the rail to that of the T-2/Larue LT660 combo.  Just swap out the factory CompM5S spacer for the factory Micro 30mm spacer (Part #12357).  The mounting screws that come with the Micro 30mm spacer are the same length as those that are factory-installed on the CompM5S, so you'll end up with a spare set of mounting screws.  Since the CompM5S doesn't have the heli-coil inserts, go ahead and use the blue thread-lock that comes with the new spacer for peace of mind.  I prefer the new version of the standard mount for the base, but if you opt for the LRP mount the specs are the same.

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#1]
So 1.64" as that is the LT height.  Plans for a 1.93" option?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, Sir.  It matches the 1.64" height of the LT660 which is Larue's version of "lower-third" co-witness.  It's the "lower-third" co-witness that I was used to so I was very happy to be able to match that on the CompM5S using factory parts that were already available.

I did not look into getting any higher up off the rail.  Sorry, I can't offer any advice there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yes, Sir.  It matches the 1.64" height of the LT660 which is Larue's version of "lower-third" co-witness.  It's the "lower-third" co-witness that I was used to so I was very happy to be able to match that on the CompM5S using factory parts that were already available.

I did not look into getting any higher up off the rail.  Sorry, I can't offer any advice there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nicely done.  I'll be curious where the M5S plays into today's market.  There are four big variables at play (likely more) which Aimpoint will need to account for (no particular priority order):

1. The shift to LPVO's.  They don't replace the efficacy of an RDS but are touching on the value of an RDS at an additive gain of magnification
2. Higher mounts - the shift to 1.93", 2.04", 2.26", 2.33" for NODs, gas mask, and comfortable shooting postures.  How well to the newer iterations accommodate this trend (you can always just get a riser, I get it)?
3. Cost - many manufacturers are coming in with good quality, more varietal reticles, and good cost points compared to an Aimpoint
4. In house innovation - A lot of people believe PRO's and T2's etc to be plenty good and are reticent to change or "upgrade"
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#4]
LPVOs are a joke compared to an Aimpoint for CQC, and  I’ve been running LPVOs for over a decade.  I love ‘em, but they’re not for everything.

The lightest good LPVO + mount is gonna run about 22oz, a Micro with mount?  6oz.

That extra POUND and the eyebox is a lot bigger hurdle to overcome than the people who make excuses for them will ever let on.

I don’t think Aimpoints are going anywhere anytime soon.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
LPVOs are a joke compared to an Aimpoint for CQC, and  I’ve been running LPVOs for over a decade.  I love ‘em, but they’re not for everything.

The lightest good LPVO + mount is gonna run about 22oz, a Micro with mount?  6oz.

That extra POUND and the eyebox is a lot bigger hurdle to overcome than the people who make excuses for them will ever let on.

I don’t think Aimpoints are going anywhere anytime soon.
View Quote

Agree, my NX8 just got in today.  I like it upon initial impressions, but it does not replace an Aimpoint.  On a Unity mount the T2 is like 6.5 ounces.  With a 3x Mag and mount you're looking at roughly 18 ounces.  The NX8, in a Scalarworks mount, is 23 ounces.

The NX8 doesn't replace an RDS or even the the magnifier combo though the glass and light transmission of the NX8 is a definite upgrade to a magnifier.  Each have a place.

I will say, specific to Aimpoint, there are more feature-rich RDS options and reduced price points.  For me, I'll take tried and true vs features and cost savings.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the NX8.  I ran mine some summer in some multi-level structure low/no light training.  

An LPVO can be shoehorned into the CQ role, but it’s not ideal.

I have a Comp M5 in a Scalarworks 1.93” and it’s right at 7oz.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I would like to add that the Spuhr SM-2001 that puts the optic at 1.18” is also a match with the Larue LT660 lower 1/3 optic height for the Comp M5S.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top