Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2021 2:04:50 PM EDT
I am looking at getting a couple of optics and there are a few of them that I keep going back to. I just can't make up my mind. I want these for two of my AR-15's and for a Tavor x95. One of the ones that I seem to be coming back to is the Aimpoint Pro. The battery life is 30K hours. Not great by the standards of today but then again not bad either. I like the track record of the Aimpoint Pro and Aimpoint's in general. I just can't afford the price of their micro dots. I wish they were in my budget.

My other choices -

Trijicon MRO

Holosun 512

Holosun 510

Holosun 515

Primary Arms SLx MD-25

Tell me why I should chose the Aimpoint Pro over the others listed above? The battery life of those optics listed above are 50K hours. The optics are rugged and seem to take a beating and keep on ticking. The optics and companies all have a great track record. I also like that they are lighter and wouldn't add much weight to my rifles.

If anyone is using any of these optics on an x95, what rise are you using? And will the riser provided with the optics co-wintess with the iron sights of the x95?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]
At their price range the Aimpoint Pro (Sweden) and Trijicon MRO (USA) are the only viable options, I can’t bring myself to give the Chinese money if I can help it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#2]
30k battery life will last over 3 years.  I replace the battery yearly just for peace of mind. So Im not sure that the difference in 30k-50k is that big of a deal.

PRO is better for NV as the holosuns have a coating on them that severely diminishes light transmission.

PRO has a better track record for QC. Plus, its not china.

MRO is also nice, is light, and works well with NV. Plus, Made in USA.

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 3 Holosun 510 and really like them so far.
Its hard not to give money to China.... Find a US made smartphone ?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Another choice is DI optical. Made in South Korea and built like tanks if you can find them

https://www.natchezss.com/bushnell-tac-optics-mini-cannon-red-dot-sight-1x23mm-multi-4-reticle-hi-rise-box-5l.html
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]
FPNI, SPNI.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#6]
AP is my default.

Solid/proven/outstanding CS.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
At their price range the Aimpoint Pro (Sweden) and Trijicon MRO (USA) are the only viable options, I can’t bring myself to give the Chinese money if I can help it.
View Quote

Quoted:
AP is my default.

Solid/proven/outstanding CS.
View Quote

Both these points pretty much along with Eo.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Aimpoint Pro is the entry level "duty" optic IMO. That meaning if you have to rely on something to take some abuse and be confident it will function based on years of a proven track record.

Most people don't really need this for their 4th AR that sits in the safe 345 days a year and one of the Holosuns or Sig Romeo 5 is fine. The weak point on the T2 size imports is the mount. That can be fixed with any decent quality T2 mount for $100 or so. So for $250 you have a serviceable dot on a quality mount and save $200 off retail for a Pro and get the T2 form factor.

Some people will tell you the imports are just as good. Some will tell you that they are complete dogshit. The truth is somewhere in the middle leaning towards they are better than some want to admit in my experience. As for the "Don't buy commie shit" people I got nothing. Everyone makes their own decisions.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another choice is DI optical. Made in South Korea and built like tanks if you can find them

https://www.natchezss.com/bushnell-tac-optics-mini-cannon-red-dot-sight-1x23mm-multi-4-reticle-hi-rise-box-5l.html
View Quote

I had a Bushnell TRS-25 and that thing was great for what it is. I need to do more research on this one. Thanks for alerting me to this one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Aimpoint Pro is the entry level "duty" optic IMO. That meaning if you have to rely on something to take some abuse and be confident it will function based on years of a proven track record.

Most people don't really need this for their 4th AR that sits in the safe 345 days a year and one of the Holosuns or Sig Romeo 5 is fine. The weak point on the T2 size imports is the mount. That can be fixed with any decent quality T2 mount for $100 or so. So for $250 you have a serviceable dot on a quality mount and save $200 off retail for a Pro and get the T2 form factor.

Some people will tell you the imports are just as good. Some will tell you that they are complete dogshit. The truth is somewhere in the middle leaning towards they are better than some want to admit in my experience. As for the "Don't buy commie shit" people I got nothing. Everyone makes their own decisions.
View Quote

Very good points. My AR's pretty much sit in my safe. My two Tavors get more hands on time. They are my go to rifles.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  FFS, people . . . . we know that SOME money going over to China is inevitable, but when you have options that ARE ACTUALLY SUPERIOR to the Chinese options, WHY IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION?  

I have T2's, T1's, MRO's, MRO Patrols, Aimpoint PRO.  They're all good options.  

Don't be responsible for directly funding China's military-industrial complex.  At this point, with what we know, it would be like purchasing War Bonds from Hitler in 1940.  It just baffles me.

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#12]
If you do get one, I recommend buying the mount and optic differently. Main reason being on a weapon outside of an AR type platform, the mount might not make total sense.

As far as pricing, I think you're looking at it wrong. You're looking at the specs and all that, which is a good idea, but you have to think about reliability and long term. The Aimpoint and Trijicon will both work no matter what. They also have a lot more support and aftermarket products. Right now those other optics might have support but will that be the same in 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? Who knows.

If you bought an aimpoint in 1990s or a trijicon in the 90s, they'd still have parts for them. They'll still work too. Might need to get the tritium refilled on Trijicon products but it would still be good to go. Can you say the same with the other stuff?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Because they work. Proven track record.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#14]
If youre okay with chinesium than buy chinesium. People buy the Aimpoint PRO over holosun because they feel like it is valuable to not rely upon a made in China product to save your ass in a HD situation. Or they just don't want to support the Chinese where they have the choice.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This.  FFS, people . . . . we know that SOME money going over to China is inevitable, but when you have options that ARE ACTUALLY SUPERIOR to the Chinese options, WHY IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION?  

I have T2's, T1's, MRO's, MRO Patrols, Aimpoint PRO.  They're all good options.

View Quote
And most/all of those are multiple times the price of the equivalent chinese competition. That's why the Chinese competition exists. Not everyone wants to spend $500-700 on a red dot.

Thats as asinine as saying, "why buy a $400 vortex lvpo when Swarovski sells them too"
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
And most/all of those are multiple times the price of the equivalent chinese competition. That's why the Chinese competition exists. Not everyone wants to spend $500-700 on a red dot.

Thats as asinine as saying, "why buy a $400 vortex lvpo when Swarovski sells them too"
View Quote

That’s a pretty weak straw man friend.  The comparison to vortex would be either the accupoint (trijicon) or anything from Leupold.  Much more in line with the prices from vortex.

And as far as $5-700? The aimpoint pro is only 445 with mount.
On Amazon, no less

And MRO’s are $420 brand new.  But that’s without the mount.  So unless you’re outfitting a company, buying a single optic for self defense is very affordable.

And if you’re weird like me, you buy most things used.  A used Aim-point Pro/MRO with mount will be even cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#17]
First posted nailed it.

Some things can't be helped in regards to China. But when there's a chance to buy here or with a much friendlier nation and keeping those people employed, it's a no brainer actually.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's a pretty weak straw man friend.  The comparison to vortex would be either the accupoint (trijicon) or anything from Leupold.  Much more in line with the prices from vortex.

And as far as $5-700? The aimpoint pro is only 445 with mount.
On Amazon, no less

And MRO's are $420 brand new.  But that's without the mount.  So unless you're outfitting a company, buying a single optic for self defense is very affordable.

And if you're weird like me, you buy most things used.  A used Aim-point Pro/MRO with mount will be even cheaper.
View Quote
Except the others he mentioned are pretty pricey for what they are.

And comparing your used buying habits to new isn't exactly a straight across comparison either.

I have 3 ACOG's, an Aimpoint CompM, a Holosun 507v2, and 4 type2 RM06 RMR's. That Holosun has given me no issues and most of their line appears to be a viable option, regardless of your feelings on their location of manufacture.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:19:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Except the others he mentioned are pretty pricey for what they are.

And comparing your used buying habits to new isn't exactly a straight across comparison either.

I have 3 ACOG's, an Aimpoint CompM, a Holosun 507v2, and 4 type2 RM06 RMR's. That Holosun has given me no issues and most of their line appears to be a viable option, regardless of your feelings on their location of manufacture.
View Quote

I have a holosun as well.  But you compared Swarovski to vortex.  So I felt ok talking about a used market to offset the American/Swedish labor cost.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I think I keep coming back the either the Aimpoint Pro or MRO. The MRO is what my gut is telling to me to go with for my x95 and since my AR’s sit in my safe and they are not my go to rifles, maybe something less expensive. I’m trying to buy three optics at one time and not break the bank. Maybe I’ll buy them over the next year and offset the cost a little.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:24:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think I keep coming back the either the Aimpoint Pro or MRO. The MRO is what my gut is telling to me to go with for my x95 and since my AR’s sit in my safe and they are not my go to rifles, maybe something less expensive. I’m trying to buy three optics at one time and not break the bank. Maybe I’ll buy them over the next year and offset the cost a little.
View Quote

You're looking to buy $1300 of optics spread out due to indecision.

Aimpoint - reputable but heftier.  Trijicon - American made, better form factor.

Here's the play - get an Aimpoint micro.  T2 x 2.  Within your budget, no buyers remorse, form factor and brand.  Save and buy your third...and avoid the dreaded MRO parallax.

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:02:11 AM EDT
[#22]
The only options on this list I’d be worrying about, personally, are the Pro or the MRO. I think the Pro is the better optic, but the MRO is close enough and smaller. Which is more important is subjective.

Get the other stuff if you want, if it’s on a range toy it’s not going to matter anyway. If it’s something ‘for real’ one really needs to stick with the Trijicon or Aimpoint, or in some cases Eotech. The other stuff will probably work fine. If ‘probably’ is good enough is something only you can decide.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#23]
If you're between the MRO and Aimpoint Pro I'd go with the MRO.  The MRO will end up being about 5 ounces lighter and it has a larger window.  I had a Pro, then bought a MRO for another rifle, then sold the Pro and replaced it with another MRO.  Also, USA > Sweden.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you're between the MRO and Aimpoint Pro I'd go with the MRO.  The MRO will end up being about 5 ounces lighter and it has a larger window.  I had a Pro, then bought a MRO for another rifle, then sold the Pro and replaced it with another MRO.  Also, USA > Sweden.
View Quote
Say what you like about Europeans but the Swedes figured out how to make sights with very reasonable levels of parallax.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Trijicon makes MRO's in Michigan and California. I'd rather give my money to the Swedes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Either the PRO or MRO are good to go. I need a few spares just to have around...
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Trijicon makes MRO's in Michigan and California. I'd rather give my money to the Swedes.
View Quote

Michigan, commie leadership.  CA, totalitarian commie wannabe.  Sweden, thinks commie is ok, but can't quite totally commit.  Red China, the new evil empire, totalitarian commies.

Somebody, please make something in Wyoming or Poland.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top