Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2018 12:23:54 PM EDT
I am trying to recreate my rifles cosmetic wear when I was in. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to produce a purple hue on a lower or upper? Below is a picture of my rifle and effect I am trying to achieve on a new AR-15 lower. " />
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am trying to recreate my rifles cosmetic wear when I was in. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to produce a purple hue on a lower or upper? Below is a picture of my rifle and effect I am trying to achieve on a new AR-15 lower. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/wigglesdabum/P5140426.jpg" target="_blank">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/wigglesdabum/P5140426.jpg
View Quote
Well FIRST you have to collect 20 pounds of unicorn poop..........

I think the Sendra uppers are prone to purpling so your best bet is to put a WTB in the EE.

There are a bunch of Barney uppers around. If it wasn't impossible to replicate on a lower I would have built a Barney AR already!

I gave up on it because the purple parts can be had but I don't think anyone can duplicate that purple on a lower.

You should easily find a purple upper and slip ring in the EE with some patience and luck.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well FIRST you have to collect 20 pounds of unicorn poop..........

I think the Sendra uppers are prone to purpling so your best bet is to put a WTB in the EE.

There are a bunch of Barney uppers around. If it wasn't impossible to replicate on a lower I would have built a Barney AR already!

I gave up on it because the purple parts can be had but I don't think anyone can duplicate that purple on a lower.

You should easily find a purple upper and slip ring in the EE with some patience and luck.
View Quote
Well damn, I was hoping there was possibly a caustic chemical which could cause it to happen.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember back in the day  Bushmaster put out a lot of purple uppers and lowers, every one complained about it. Probably lots still out there.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Try rubbing 100% DEET Bug Juice on Type II anodizing interspersed with long soaks in Dry Cleaning solvent?

Or maybe some MEK in a well ventilated area wearing safety goggles  (because the first time I used it the vapor ruined my polycarbonate eyeglasses) and other protective gear?

Or an unfinished receiver soaked in Grape Crush or Kool-aid for a year or two?

Seriously, don't try any of these....I just always assumed it was a bad anodizing job that didn't hold up...
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try rubbing 100% DEET Bug Juice on Type II anodizing interspersed with long soaks in Dry Cleaning solvent?

Or maybe some MEK in a well ventilated area wearing safety goggles  (because the first time I used it the vapor ruined my polycarbonate eyeglasses) and other protective gear?

Seriously, don't try any of these....I just always assumed it was a bad anodizing job that didn't hold up...
View Quote
Yeah from my understanding that is the case as well. I can't think off a way to increase the speed of aging.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah but what if some of those things worked to turn them purple?

I would SO build a (retro) bARney15 and have a lower engraved with PBS or a big barney head just for the crazy looks it would get!

Anyone else remember the My Little Bronie AR?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't see the fuckitbucket pictures.

I used to have a blem psa lower that had a purple hue.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#9]
There was a component in the anodizing that was subject to to UV deterioration that caused that purple hue to show up after a few years, every once in a while we will see it in some of the newer receivers, I know we anodize suppressor tubes and it happens to us, but not very often and these days it is not all that common.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m with you. Is Photobucket even relevant anymore?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe put it in a tanning bed for a few days.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe put it in a tanning bed for a few days.
View Quote
Dash board of the pickup would be better here in 90 in February Florida!

(I once left a partial fence NDS lower on the roof for several week while ageing it.)
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top