Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2021 10:02:22 PM EDT
Interested and in peoples opinions whether using it constantly or just a few times.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Slip2000.  That's my answer.

Seriously though, I think it works in most climates if the instructions are followed religiously, and no other type of lubricant is added to the mix, but that's pretty hard to accomplish really.  

As an LE armorer for a medium sized dept, we bought a bunch of their product to demo and played with it before giving it the nod for duty usage.  It never got that nod.

Does it offer any sort of real advantage?  No, I don't think so.  Is it just something else to worry about?  Yeah, most likely.  It's not for me and I don't recommend it, but that's not to disparage the company or product.

For me, any benefits provided by the product weren't noticed and it was kind of a pain to deal with.  It does smell nice.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#2]
It works and it smells nice but I'm not sure it works better than anything else.  I also don't like that I can't really see it.  I always feel better when I can see the oil shine.  I've pretty much gone back to CLP and such.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Minty fresh.  I think the founder/owner ate it all.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#4]
If you read the instructions and follow them to a Tee, there will not actually be any FrogLube on the gun when you get done, so theoretically, it shouldn’t cause any issues.

And no, the froglube most certainly does not soak through the finish and into the pores (that don’t exist) in the metal only to come out and lubricate the gun when you shoot it.

If you do mess around and leave some in there it dries out into a sticky mess in a few months and then you have problems.  

Slip 2000 won’t give you any problems and it actually lubricates.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 1:36:10 AM EDT
[#5]
All ya'll fancy folk out here talking about some fancy lube.......and I'm over here running a mix of ATF and 15w40...
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 1:54:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I recall a nail and saltwater test. Frog lube was the absolute worst.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 3:44:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Frog lube has changed formulations several times over the years in an attempt to fix it's short comings but those efforts have failed.

Frog lube original still comes in a paste that is supposed to be applied to clean, warm parts. It is not compatible with any other brand or type of lubricant and performance wise is just OK. It kinda cleans, kind lubes and doesn't prevent rust very well. It does still become tacky over time but it isn't as bad as it used to be where guns oiled heavily with frog lube and allowed to sit for months were completely glued shut.

Frog lube extreme is their latest, greatest product and people do seem to like it better but it still isn't petroleum based and is not compatible with other gun care products.

The frog lube solvent and degreaser are said to work OK but don't these products kind of defeat the point of having an all in one CLP type product? On top of that they are pricey.

Overall Froglube kind of falls flat. They have not won any major military or police contracts, they have very limited industry backing and the anecdotal information is very mixed.

To me, if you really want a "food grade" Non-toxic lube, Super lube works much better. If you want a very good lube that is also an extreme rust preventer, Corrosion-X works much better. If you want a multi-purpose product that can be used on other gun related surfaces like leather, wood and polymer; Ballistol works much better. If you want a true single product CLP that works well but is not compatible with other products, Eezox works much better.  

If you are looking for a standard CLP type gun lube; pretty much any of the traditional petroleum based CLP's (Slip 2000, G96, Mpro, Royco, Breakfree, Weaponshield, ETC) all work better, usually cost less and do not have the short coming of being incompatible with other products nor do they get tacky over time like frog lube.

The summary is: just say no to frog lube.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 3:51:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Someone here had it tested via spectroscopy (right term maybe)

It’s canola oil. Shit you not. Its canola oil with some additives.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 3:56:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Someone needs to quote Pat Rogers' view on weapon lubes whenever the topic is brought up.

Doesn't matter what you use, just make sure it's lubricated.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone needs to quote Pat Rogers' view on weapon lubes whenever the topic is brought up.

Doesn't matter what you use, just make sure it's lubricated.
View Quote

That’s sound advice, but there are products that are so horrible that they don’t lubricate. FrogLube is one.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 2:46:00 AM EDT
[#11]
None of it's fans could or would answer a couple simple questions. How well does it for for the first two shots when cold? Will it gum up enough to slow the hammer? If the first round fires will it cycle? The answer was always something like, "it warms up after the first few rounds."
Great, but I'm more worried about my first two for defense and maybe my first and only if hunting.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Respectfully... I thought that was "FireClean".

And FWIW, FireClean was horrible for me. Dried so fast and hard, I had to mortar open each AR it was used on.

As for FrogLube... I have read enough to avoid it.
View Quote

I think you are correct. I believe froglube was coconut oil not canola oil.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well... that just made me Lol. ( Discussing Gun Lubes made from coconut oil or canola oil )

Can anyone tell I prefer a better lube base then the above mentioned two.

And I also think you are correct.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you are correct. I believe froglube was coconut oil not canola oil.

Well... that just made me Lol. ( Discussing Gun Lubes made from coconut oil or canola oil )

Can anyone tell I prefer a better lube base then the above mentioned two.

And I also think you are correct.

IIRC it’s a rebranded roller coaster lube.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I was a huge fan when Froglube came out. I loved the paste and those bottles.

Here's what I found: it works. It really does work and very well. I thought I was just imagining things at first but using it on things that I know were hard to move would move very easily if you followed the instructions. You put the paste on with a brush, heat it up for a while, then wipe it all off so there's nothing left. I used it for a about a year and a half before I threw it all away. I actually bought a gallon of their paste.

Big reason is that it seems like there's a magical counter on it where the gun would be stored and the froglube turns it into a solid chunk of metal that requires some of the hardest mortaring I ever had to do. I put some on a M1 Garand for check and I only shoot it maybe once in a while and it would come out completely frozen and I had to mortar it and used a can of gun scrubber to get it all off. It seems like if you clean your gun or use your gun often then it is really good. I think froglube people had the frequent users in mind or something.

The only "wonderlube" that I would recommend is the Slip2000. That stuff actually works in keeping the gun wet. I now use nearly exclusively ewl grease and the ewl liquid to clean. It works very well and recommend it over my old tried and true breakfree clp and motor grease. You can keep it stored for months and not have to worry about it not working right out the box.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#17]
FireClean has no love anymore?  Many of the guys running cans swore by it, for so long!

I never bought any because I still had a huge stash of Slip, Spikes (Lucas), and 0w20 Amsoil Signature.

I tried FrogLube in a cold winter in AK, and yes I put it on properly per those damned instructions.  Fuck that stuff!

The 3 I have listed above work great, and I run suppressed most of the time.

Friggin' motor oil was all the rage around here for years.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#18]
With the reports of gumming up I don't know why you'd take the chance.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#19]
A few years ago my previous employer issued us MCX rifles. The vendor recommended frog lube. Everything was done according to the instructions. A couple of months later, when a rifle was taken to the range and tested, it failed to fire. The cause was determined to be too much frog lube in the bolt; the oil hardened and the firing pin couldn’t move.

Someone had been sloppy the last time it was cleaned and reliability suffered. A conventional CLP is much more forgiving of that kind of mistake. They got rid of frog lube that week and went with break free CLP.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I have been using Slip and Wilson Combat for many, many years, WC the longest, and I am very satisfied

Mobil1 oil gets a lot of comments here and while I have beverages tried it, I will one day
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Someone needs to do IR spectroscopy on ALG Go Juice.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top